Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500 Abarth manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all, my recent project is a shacking front end and after multiple inspections and drives im in need of replacing both drivers and passengers side axel cv joint shafts. After ordering my fist set from O Reilly the drivers side came in and was about 3 inches longer then what i took off. Back to O Reilly and ordered the last option that they had. Picked up part went back home and the three barrings that slip into the trans were a total different shape but correct in size. These went for around $131 dollars. That was my last option there and nothing they can do at least they tried for me and got a full refund. Contacted dealer and for both im in at $918 dollars. Wow well lets see if these fit they did look them up based on my vin number so got my fingers crossed for that. Anyone else been down the axle shaft replacement rode. 2017 fiat 500 abarth.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
They probably gave you wrong ones. Abarth has different axles than NA model. The one from the dealer should fit fine.

·
Registered
968 Posts
There are no aftermarket axles for Abarth. Dealer is the only option. Anyone (including oreilly or rockauto) who tells you otherwise is wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had mine rebuilt at a "Rack and Axle" shop in Indianapolis - they did it for $100, and it's been good ever since. That could be an option too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on this project. Both axle shafts after replacing i did see that both sides had burnt bearings. Smooth install pretty easy. I initially did this because i felt a wobble in the top of third gear as well as under load in 4th i could feel the whole front end shake not like an out of balance tire or alignment. After the install i felt a huge difference in how tight the steering wheel felt. I'm still feeling a wobble but not as dramatic so i went and had an alignment and tire balance since i thought why not cant hurt to have them checked. After that im still feeling the wobble. Could this be a clutch? motor mounts? sway bar? control arms? Has anyone felt this before in there Fiat. Im only at 60,000 miles. 350$ per side axle shaft from dealer 70$ core charge per side and 80 dollar balance and 100 dollar alignment.
GURRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is a bit late for you but in the future you can rebuild your axles with parts from DI Corse. I had a bad boot and did all four. Bearings were still good so I didn't do them this time but will in the future.

https://dicorse.com/shop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply but car was in the garage with both front tires off and needed to fix it asap. But im still having a wobble issue so idk on to the next idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like the same issue I’m experiencing. Had wheels weighted, balanced, added hub centric rings and aligned which reduced the shaking from 40mph-60mph. Still have shaking so replacing cv joints and engine mounts tomorrow. Will report back on how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the same issue I’m experiencing. Had wheels weighted, balanced, added hub centric rings and aligned which reduced the shaking from 40mph-60mph. Still have shaking so replacing cv joints and engine mounts tomorrow. Will report back on how it goes.
Please lol I need to fix it its not a huge deal but it deffinetly shouldnt be doing it and killing me not knowing what its from. I thought motor mounts to but at 60k miles dam that's weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine just hit 98,000 miles. Bought it at 92k miles as my daily runaround and it began clunking at 94k miles. After a few power dumps we could see a little too much engine movement. It was going in for the cv joints so decided to do the mounts too. Other than these normal perishables and a self-inflected convertible roof issue that I managed to fix, it’s running very strong.

P.S: Mods yet to approve the follow up post, the info and short video may help a few people.
https://www.fiat500owners.com/threads/abarth-convertible-roof-only-opens-3-4.150537/

·
Registered
5 Posts
New front axles now installed along with new engine mounts and 12mm spacers. The car is now transformed from the poor condition I received it. High speed vibration is gone as is the shunting as you come off the accelerator. Actually feels quite strange as I’d modified the way I drive to counter these issues. On its first day back I kept expecting I’d be reacting to vibration/movement and it’s simply not there anymore. Brilliant!

Invoice not so brilliant but that was entirely down to the Abarth only axles which made up for almost 50% of the bill!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts