Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Wow, I didn't expect this to be such a hit. and, this is only a cheapy version just to see if its possible. there are a couple ideas floating around but I need to shop for better materials first. and maybe a way to do it without having to cut a big hole in the front face when I post the Final DIY

I LOVE that you are doing this and that people want to buy them, please though remember sales cannot be done on the forum, if you want to use PM or exchange emails or #'s there is nothing anyone can do about that but it cannot happen on the public forum, not my rules!

Thanks and again, this looks really nice!

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Ok, so I picked up the parts for the brake light and forgot to take a pic for everyone to see what i used. Sorry guys, i got a little excited. But It's done now and drying. weather permitting, it's going in tomorrow when I take a break from raking snow off my roof(house). so here is a teaser pic(I love it).
Red Light Automotive lighting Logo Font

Discussion starter · #32 ·
for the DIYers here's what you'll need:

1. A good badge(not delaminated). the one pictured here is my defective one that I'm making into a black-out brake light.
2. A 20 LED replacement light from your local Canadian Tire or American equivalent. It runs on 12V and is 2" by 1.5" and very thin.
3. Red cellophane
4. Silver paper( both of these are really cheap at Micheal's art supply.)
5. Clear, exterior silicone caulking.
6. Automotive double sided tape(the grey stuff with the red backing NOT the white foam crap).
7. 12 or 16 gauge wires. 3m each should do fine.

Tools, tape, wire and light not pictured

Material property Technology Electronic device Fashion accessory Gadget

Step 1, Separate Your Badge:
Purchase a REAR badge from dealer; they are cheaper($14). and the holes in the middle are a good guide for measuring and well positioned for wiring. don't worry about cracking in half when separating as is won't happen if you are careful. Next, boil the badge for 10 minutes or so; while its boiling find a long #2 robertson screwdriver bit with a flat arse end, a small flat head and a tissue( for USA, robertson is a square end driver that may not exist for you, improvise). fold tissue and put ove the top hole in the badge then use the bit to push apart with your thumb(like a seringe). Once there is a gap in the front, stick the flathead in and gently pull the face away. DO NOT PRY. this may take some force but mine came apart easy.

Step 2, Prep the back plate:

Pull of ALL the black sticky, this is probably the worst part of the process but necessary. Once done you need to cut a hole for you light source. You don't need to measure anything. Use the 2 holes and the 2 squares as guides. cut straight across, just above the 2 squares and straight down on the outsides of the squares. The gap between cut 1 and the top hole is what you want between the bottom cut line and the bottom hole, then cut a channel to the bottom hole for your wires( i did not doe this as i just made the big hole bigger in case i needed resistors or transistors in there...i didn't).

Step 3, assemble the light:
you need to do this so that everything can set and dry before you put the face plate on as I found out this morning. Use the double sticky on the back of the badge; put a strip across the middle(sideways), with equal gaps at the top and bottom, then put a strips across the top gap. Flip the badge over and put a really thin layer of caulk on the sticky side, then install the LED pad. fish the wires through first, then press the light into the caulking with the LEFT SIDE RIGHT AGAINST THE PLASTIC BACKING and a small gap on the right; if you dont, the lights won't line up with the letters. Next, cut 3 or 4 rectangles out of the red cello that are big enough to go almost to the sides and just over the small holes, to completely cover the LED but leave some silver around the edge. then use very thin caulking to stick ONE layer down, over the LED. set the other layers aside for now.(this is how you get the red ring).

Step 4, the ****ing face plate:

Get the silver out of the letters without touching the sides or the red paint. chemicals make the sides peel and, or, damage the plastic demels melt the plastic wierd and polishing wheels just make really shiny grey paint. I have a really good method, but my thumb, first and middle finger are still cramped from the last one(this is why they will cost if ppl ask me to make them). good luck and buy a few beers for this one...oh hey, don't **** it up.

Step 5, you're almost done.

After you are finished counting to ten, get up off the floor because no you get to put everything together. cut a piece of silver paper so it's about 2mm smaller than the face plate. again with the thin caulking, stick it on the back of the face plate(NOT BETWEEN THE LETTERS). More caulking, a good bit now goes around the edge of the back plate to hold in/seal the face on, put the other layers of cello in the back, stick on the front, clean the edges(ugh, PITA), then put a thick book on top of it. When its dry, flip it over and pull the backing off the the OUTER strips of sticky. You can see the shape of the LED, make sure the red backing stays there, the put another layer of sticky around the edges. this will keep your new light in one piece if you ever have to take it off.

now you are ready for wiring, and if I find a way to wire it as a dim tail light and a brighter brake light, I won't let you know; I'll just laugh and show it off.(kidding...maybe).

seriously. pm me if you want one or need help making your own.

Discussion starter · #34 · (Edited)
If you would, please post something explaining how you run the wire connecting the badge to the brake lights.

Looks amazing as expected! :D

Thank you PAZZO for being innovative and sharing your process with everone. Yup, this is my next project for our 500c and the misses is on board to help:D I love it that she is so excited about her car and open to mods.

Just heading out to start the install. I did intend to add pics. but all my back plates have been prepped, so i cant take more until the defective rear badge comes off. here is a link for a similar(larger) light to what i used; mine was 4x5 lights.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoCustomPerformance/NeonLEDAutomotiveLights/PRDOVR~0411527P/Super+Bright+White+LED+Lights%2C+24-Pk.jsp?locale=en
Hopefully I can find something like this in the US for something I have in mind. Thanks.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
#2 is something I'd like more info on if you could provide more specifics please. I think this may need to be made a sticky as well. If you intend to add pics of the steps or anything I will wait till that happens if not then I may just take it as is and sticky it sometime. :)
Automotive lighting Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior
follow the black lines bro. oh and clip the thingies off the back of the badge.

as for the wiring question from "thePain" linky:http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...h-panels-tapping-power-3-ways.html#post125105

hehehe
Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Vehicle Car
Automotive lighting Light Headlamp Lighting Auto part
DONE! Cheers

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
yup Emblem Logo Font Symbol Trademark

This is lights off. not bright in the day as there is no room for reflectors( if you've ever seen the inside of a brake light its crazy). I wanted it to look as stock as possible during the day because no one really looks at lights until the sun goes down.

all assembled? no..Its stuck to the back of my car and i forgot a couple pics( sorry. i usually only do mods for myself and don't share...this is new. but it looks the same, just the face is raise .5mm form the backing and the badge is 1mm further from the car than original...and there are 2 wires coming out the back.

cheers

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.