Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace CV axle on driver's side on 2012 500 with manual transmission. Can it be swapped out with another from a salvage yard? I'm assuming yes, but seams after reading other threads on the topic it's not that simple

·
Registered
667 Posts
Maybe my parts store mis-labeled them... but they show $60. There are several styles listed on mymoparpart.com... but they are more expensive. You might even find someone in your city that still rebuilds axles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the appropriate parts at Rock Auto say AWD. which is weird as I'm not aware of a AWD Fiat 500. I know the Jeep compass shares some parts maybe?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure these parts from Rock Auto would work, but I'm stuck out of town and just need to get back on the road, so just looking to get the car back on the road. When I get back home I'll tackle the upgrade properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the link, when I first visited the site there wasn't a Fiat option, only ram Jeep Chrysler Dodge. Maybe you knew of the part number and located it that way? In any case it seems like they do have the part.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You may have gone to Mopar's standard site? (I have had probs finding parts on that website.) Once you know the part# you can often find it cheaper online @ other sites.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't that a 4 door? The Rock Auto goes like this Fiat 500; 2door; manual transmission; left side; AWD

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes that is the 4 door small suv I was not sure if You knew fiat made those lol, but u are right there is no awd 2 door 500

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
All the appropriate parts at Rock Auto say AWD. which is weird as I'm not aware of a AWD Fiat 500. I know the Jeep compass shares some parts maybe?
The Rock Auto parts link, I gave you, above Is for the half shafts on a 2012 Fiat 500.
There is no such thing, as a small Fiat 500, with AWD.

The Fiat 500X Model, can be equipped with all wheel drive. It’s a 2016 vehicle.
Not even the same car. It’s a 4 door.

Click on the link below........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes you must be right. Good to know the part is out there. I'm on a road trip and just need to get this fixed I've already ordered a salvage part, and when I get home I'll attempt the upgrade....replacing the control arm, bearing and axle. Thanks for the link

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure you already did this, but make sure to check the exact manufacture date of the car (before or after 2-13-2012). I have a '12 500 Prima and have had trouble getting the left half shaft, so I'm getting it refurbished at a local place next week (Indy Rack and Axle). But I hadn't seen this one available at Rock Auto either - it was out of stock a few weeks ago. I may eventually need to do what you're describing - new knuckle F, lower arm, and bearing to match the updated axle. Best of luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the axle I got didn't match! this is a unicorn. What a waste of time, so plan D, ship the part to Indiana for rebuild of the part from the car, and ship it back to me. Another week burned. Plan E, sell Fiat, sorry to say but Scotty is right, they ain't so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used one on ebay from a wreck manual trans. I researched this for weeks and its the same part for multiple years. And it has to be from a manual trans. Auto trans has longer and smaller diameter half shafts. And its really easy to do. Took me an hour.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts