Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
My studio called me to advise that they received parts for my airbag recall, so I scheduled an appointment. I advised the service technician that on two occasions, my car hesitated before starting, once in the heat of summer, and once when the weather turned cold. Both times the car had not been used in a few days.

Sure enough, on the morning of my appointment, the car would not start at all. I had to call roadside assistance who sent a booster truck to get it started.

I got to the Studio, and after verification, I was advised that nothing was wrong, except simply a battery with low charge. Technician claimed I was making too many short trips. He said car needs 20 minutes of running to maintain a charge. He charged the battery and said that I was good to go. He claimed there was no history of battery issues on the 500L. Nonetheless I am skeptical about his "fix" and I hope this does not happen again!

I have a 500L Lounge, with 3,400 Kms.
Pkouri,

I spoke with the service manager at the Studio where I bought my FIAT 500L Easy about the DDCT problem that the car has experienced and I asked about the dead battery problem that it also experienced. I was told that FIAT has tracked it down to a condition in which if the rear hatch is open and then closed and the car is not locked that the electronics stay "awake" and continue to drain the battery. They soon will have a firmware fix to correct that.

Just thought that I'd share.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm looking forward to going to Batteries Plus when my OEM battery finally fails. They sell tiny, super-light batteries and auto battery post adapters. I think they're lithium ion. It'll be a big weight savings!
they do nOt sell batteries thst fit the L
I am leaving my car w studio for a week, service lady told me there is known issue with battery.. Bad cells that FIAT is aware of. Hope that does it, tired of getting stranded.. I travel a lot and cant be stuck every week at airport.

i should be able to lock my doors and leave car for a week no worris.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My studio called me to advise that they received parts for my airbag recall, so I scheduled an appointment. I advised the service technician that on two occasions, my car hesitated before starting, once in the heat of summer, and once when the weather turned cold. Both times the car had not been used in a few days.

Sure enough, on the morning of my appointment, the car would not start at all. I had to call roadside assistance who sent a booster truck to get it started.

I got to the Studio, and after verification, I was advised that nothing was wrong, except simply a battery with low charge. Technician claimed I was making too many short trips. He said car needs 20 minutes of running to maintain a charge. He charged the battery and said that I was good to go. He claimed there was no history of battery issues on the 500L. Nonetheless I am skeptical about his "fix" and I hope this does not happen again!

I have a 500L Lounge, with 3,400 Kms.
If you navigate in other threads in this forum you will find that quite a few owners did have battery problems but they seemed to be related to battery drain for not having locked their doors with their key fob. I can't defintely say that we know for sure that it's the case but seems that certain owners fixed their battery drain that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just don't understand how keeping a car unlocked causes that trouble. That's just mind blowing.

I unfortunately do not have a garage so never encountered that problem. However from what I have read from at least one owner that was the case. Either he had an unexplained electrical drain that was abnormally caused by not locking or somehow the car's alarm system when unlocked causes this drain. I definitely agree, not normal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
they do nOt sell batteries thst fit the L
I am leaving my car w studio for a week, service lady told me there is known issue with battery.. Bad cells that FIAT is aware of. Hope that does it, tired of getting stranded.. I travel a lot and cant be stuck every week at airport.

i should be able to lock my doors and leave car for a week no worris.
studio called. They replicated issue, put in new battery. Will let car sit for a few days to see if thsat was indeed cause.

too bad only Fiat sells batteries that will fit car, can't go to Sears, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Minibrings: If that doesn't work, ask them to change the main computer. I'm happy to report that my car has been terrific since the studio did that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts