Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the second owner of this 2015 Fiat 500e and I purchased it from a dealer in NJ and live in Long Island NY. Ever since I bought the car, in June 2018 I tried taking it to any of the local Fiat dealerships near me, but apparently nobody could do a simple software update as required by a recall notice in October 2018.

Fast forward to April 21, 2020, the car fails with service propulsion system error. At this point the car has just under 40k miles and I had put on about 8k miles since purchasing it less than 2 years prior. The car literally stopped accelerating while driving it, with no warnings like a gas car would give you, just a sudden loss of power. Thank god I was not on a busy street and could get over to the shoulder. The car can not move and is now a giant brick.

The next day I call Fiat customer service who was no help. They recommended I tow it back to where I bought it in NJ. Note that interstate towing would be over $1,000 as it requires a special license to tow across state lines. They closed out my initial case when they could not find a dealership in NY that could service it. Luckily I called every dealership and found one that was only 60+ miles away in NY.

During this time because of the pandemic, I was told I could not get a courtesy vehicle. I was told after about 3 weeks of diagnostic testing that it was the battery in the car had failed and would cost $29,000 to replace. Luckily that is covered by the warranty, however as of a week ago, the Fiat engineers would like me to replace the power inverter module at a cost of about $8,400. That part 5190154AH cost about half that online 1/10 that used.

I was told by the tech that they believe it is the battery because it doesn't hold a charge, but I guess to get out of the warranty repair Fiat made it so I need to replace this part before they replace the battery. They even stated the money would not be refundable if the power inverter module is not the cause of the issue and it is in fact the battery. They also explained there is another battery that cost $6,000 that is not covered by the warranty. So it seems like there are multiple outs for Fiat to get out of this warranty repair.

Just glancing through the cost of the parts for this car, it doesn't make sense to purchase a Fiat 500e at any price. Even though on paper it seems like a good deal at a price range of $6k-10k for a used vehicle off lease, all of the parts for this car cost more than the car. Previously I had a Honda FitEV for 5 years under their $199 per month lease program. This Fiat 500e didn't even last 2 years, and every part for it cost more than Ferrari parts and none of the regular Fiat dealerships service the car.

It is going on a month and a half, and I have been asking Fiat to help out since there was a recall on the power inverter module as well, they offered to pay $4,200 of the cost for the inverter module, but that is more than the value of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your issues.
  • Sudden stoppage while driving is almost certainly not due to failure of either battery (12V or propulsion).
  • No single part of the car should cost "$29,000", since that's nearly the list price of a brand new complete car.
  • The $6,000 propulsion battery is warrantied for 8 years/100k miles. I believe that's a transferable federal requirement.
  • If there's a recall on any part of your car (such as the power inverter), it should be replaced at no cost to you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you know if the recall on the inverter was performed prior to you owning the car? That is the only way I could see them not paying for it's replacement (if the replaced inverter is out of warranty).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • Sudden stoppage while driving is almost certainly not due to failure of either battery (12V or propulsion). I researched that and tried trickle charging the 12v battery before footing the bill to tow it to the only Fiat dealership in NY willing to look at the car.
  • No single part of the car should cost "$29,000", since that's nearly the list price of a brand new complete car. I'll see if I can get a copy of the bill for the new $29,000 battery the dealership was going to charge Fiat.
  • The $6,000 propulsion battery is warrantied for 8 years/100k miles. I believe that's a transferable federal requirement. Yes it's covered, but after talking to the technician, he says even though they believe the battery is the issue, they want me to change the power inverter module and have stated they will not reimburse me if that does not fix the issue.
  • If there's a recall on any part of your car (such as the power inverter), it should be replaced at no cost to you. Apparently there is a recall that is fixed by a software update for the 2015 model year. There was a hardware recall for the previous model years. I'm not sure how Fiat gets around fixing a warranty repair after telling me for weeks it's going to be fixed only to tell me at the last minute that they want me to pay for them to test if its another part. I see more than a few users claiming the main battery is dead after sitting for long periods of no use due to the pandemic.
The only Fiat dealership willing to work on the car in NY apparently can not put in a used part and guarantee it.

They quoted me $29,000 for the new battery from Fiat: Fiat 500E Battery kit. Hybrid. Remanufactured - 68454380AA | Athens Dodge, Athens GA

The price above is for a remanufactured one*

Even though that would be fixed for free under warranty, they want to charge me $8,400 parts and labor for this part:
About $7,000 for the part, and $1400 for labor.

The power inverter module had a recall during the pervious model years, and had a software update recall for later years:

Anybody buying these cars off lease thinking they're getting a good deal, just realize very few Fiat dealerships will work on them, and the parts are extremely expensive:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I am the second owner of this 2015 Fiat 500e and I purchased it from a dealer in NJ and live in Long Island NY. Ever since I bought the car, in June 2018 I tried taking it to any of the local Fiat dealerships near me, but apparently nobody could do a simple software update as required by a recall notice in October 2018.

Fast forward to April 21, 2020, the car fails with service propulsion system error. At this point the car has just under 40k miles and I had put on about 8k miles since purchasing it less than 2 years prior. The car literally stopped accelerating while driving it, with no warnings like a gas car would give you, just a sudden loss of power. Thank god I was not on a busy street and could get over to the shoulder. The car can not move and is now a giant brick.

The next day I call Fiat customer service who was no help. They recommended I tow it back to where I bought it in NJ. Note that interstate towing would be over $1,000 as it requires a special license to tow across state lines. They closed out my initial case when they could not find a dealership in NY that could service it. Luckily I called every dealership and found one that was only 60+ miles away in NY.

During this time because of the pandemic, I was told I could not get a courtesy vehicle. I was told after about 3 weeks of diagnostic testing that it was the battery in the car had failed and would cost $29,000 to replace. Luckily that is covered by the warranty, however as of a week ago, the Fiat engineers would like me to replace the power inverter module at a cost of about $8,400. That part 5190154AH cost about half that online 1/10 that used.

I was told by the tech that they believe it is the battery because it doesn't hold a charge, but I guess to get out of the warranty repair Fiat made it so I need to replace this part before they replace the battery. They even stated the money would not be refundable if the power inverter module is not the cause of the issue and it is in fact the battery. They also explained there is another battery that cost $6,000 that is not covered by the warranty. So it seems like there are multiple outs for Fiat to get out of this warranty repair.

Just glancing through the cost of the parts for this car, it doesn't make sense to purchase a Fiat 500e at any price. Even though on paper it seems like a good deal at a price range of $6k-10k for a used vehicle off lease, all of the parts for this car cost more than the car. Previously I had a Honda FitEV for 5 years under their $199 per month lease program. This Fiat 500e didn't even last 2 years, and every part for it cost more than Ferrari parts and none of the regular Fiat dealerships service the car.

It is going on a month and a half, and I have been asking Fiat to help out since there was a recall on the power inverter module as well, they offered to pay $4,200 of the cost for the inverter module, but that is more than the value of the car.
I am very sorry to read all this! If you'd like us to look into your case for you, feel free to send us a PM with your VIN or case number.

Kaitlin
Fiat Cares

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am very sorry to read all this! If you'd like us to look into your case for you, feel free to send us a PM with your VIN or case number.

Kaitlin
Fiat Cares
Well I'll reach back out to my customer service rep. The offer I was given after six weeks of waiting for the car to be fixed at the dealership was that Fiat would pay 50% of the power inverter module cost at full price. I am not allowed to purchase a new one through the mopar site which is cheaper, or purchase a used one. I have to purchase it at full price from the dealer and pay them to install it at a cost of $8,400.

What gets me is, Fiat Customer service originally closed my case when I said I could not find a Fiat dealership nearby that would look at my car. They said there was no dealership in NY.
Then I found a Fiat dealership after calling every single one. Dealership comes back after three weeks of diagnosing and says they are waiting on Fiat Corporate to send a new battery covered at a cost of $29,750. During the 4th week they say that the Fiat engineers they were talking to over the phone want to try changing out this PIM module first, but they're not sure if Fiat will cover it. Fiat Customer service takes 2 weeks and says they'll cover half, but will not reimburse if this does not fix the issue, IE- if the battery is the issue I just wasted more than 2/3' the value of the car on a part that wasn't needed.

Not only that but just looking through this forum I see a bunch of people with the same battery issue:

Look at the parts for this car. The battery does cost $29,750.00 plus tax. If you're lucky enough to find a dealer to work on this car you need to buy all the parts new through the dealer.

Battery heater cost $2,835.00. Keep in mind this site is showing a discounted rate, but the dealer will charge you the full $2,835.00 plus tax and labor to install the part. Labor for any of these parts is $1,000+

Traction charger $1,850.00

Inverter assembly they want me to buy before they replace the battery $6,600.00

This car doesn't even make sense to own. Dealer isn't even sure that will fix the issue, and if any of these parts go bad you might as well get a new car- preferably one that a company stands behind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • Sudden stoppage while driving is almost certainly not due to failure of either battery (12V or propulsion).
That actually was what happened when my traction battery went out. I was driving through a parking lot, and the car just died. I got it restarted and drove it home, but after a couple days it would no longer start. Fiat did honor the warranty, though. It was in the shop for nearly two months, most of that time waiting for the new battery.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
433 Posts
The only Fiat dealership willing to work on the car in NY apparently can not put in a used part and guarantee it.

They quoted me $29,000 for the new battery from Fiat: Fiat 500E Battery kit. Hybrid. Remanufactured - 68454380AA | Athens Dodge, Athens GA

The price above is for a remanufactured one*

Even though that would be fixed for free under warranty, they want to charge me $8,400 parts and labor for this part:
About $7,000 for the part, and $1400 for labor.

The power inverter module had a recall during the pervious model years, and had a software update recall for later years:

Anybody buying these cars off lease thinking they're getting a good deal, just realize very few Fiat dealerships will work on them, and the parts are extremely expensive:
What do you expect from a car that was only sold in Cali and Oregon and you’re in NY. That’s like someone bringing a Skyline GTR from Japan and no Nissan dealer wants to work on something that speaks Greek to them and foreign. If anyone buying these cars in California it wouldn’t be too much a hassle there are more dealers out here that has certifications for electric fiats.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That actually was what happened when my traction battery went out. I was driving through a parking lot, and the car just died. I got it restarted and drove it home, but after a couple days it would no longer start. Fiat did honor the warranty, though. It was in the shop for nearly two months, most of that time waiting for the new battery.
The service tech was saying there was another battery besides the main HV battery and the 12V battery, but I could not find that part referenced on the Mopar site. Yeah I waited a month with no courtesy car, was promised they were replacing the battery- then told I need to pay for the power inverter module first. The tech from the dealership made it sound like I should junk this car because Fiat corporate could make me replace any other part before they feel they want to replace the battery. He says he believes it's the battery though, but he has to go by whatever Fiat corporate tells him to do.

What do you expect from a car that was only sold in Cali and Oregon and you’re in NY. That’s like someone bringing a Skyline GTR from Japan and no Nissan dealer wants to work on something that speaks Greek to them and foreign. If anyone buying these cars in California it wouldn’t be too much a hassle there are more dealers out here that has certifications for electric fiats.
I Took My Imported Nissan Skyline GT-R To A Nissan Dealer For Service Nothing happened...

But yeah let's say I bought another compliance vehicle like the Chevy Spark EV which is only sold in Cali, Oregon, and sometimes Maryland. I can take that electric car to any Chevy dealership for service. Mainly because most Chevy dealerships are certified for the Chevy Volt. The dealership I went to for my bricked Fiat 500e works on hybrid Chrysler Pacifica's.

If I knew there was only one dealership that could work on this car in NYS I would not have bought this car. That and it's not really advertised that the parts cost more than the car. That negates any savings buyings these cars cheap off lease.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
433 Posts
The service tech was saying there was another battery besides the main HV battery and the 12V battery, but I could not find that part referenced on the Mopar site. Yeah I waited a month with no courtesy car, was promised they were replacing the battery- then told I need to pay for the power inverter module first. The tech from the dealership made it sound like I should junk this car because Fiat corporate could make me replace any other part before they feel they want to replace the battery. He says he believes it's the battery though, but he has to go by whatever Fiat corporate tells him to do.

I Took My Imported Nissan Skyline GT-R To A Nissan Dealer For Service Nothing happened...

But yeah let's say I bought another compliance vehicle like the Chevy Spark EV which is only sold in Cali, Oregon, and sometimes Maryland. I can take that electric car to any Chevy dealership for service. Mainly because most Chevy dealerships are certified for the Chevy Volt. The dealership I went to for my bricked Fiat 500e works on hybrid Chrysler Pacifica's.

If I knew there was only one dealership that could work on this car in NYS I would not have bought this car. That and it's not really advertised that the parts cost more than the car. That negates any savings buyings these cars cheap off lease.
that pretty much applies to virtually every car made after 2010 parts on newer cars are not cheap and there are a lot more sensors and other doodads that go bad they cost a **** of a lot of money and especially electric vehicles it’s not specifically to the Fiat in particular this involves Tesla’s Nissan leafs sparks virtually every other car that’s made in the last few years. I’m a firm believer if you’re not a do it yourselfer most modern cars are literally disposable items like your razor. It’s just not economically viable to keep them running

·
Registered
98 Posts
In Europe there's already a bunch of independent shops who repair HV batteries and EVs in general. Ironically, they're often better at it than the dealers. Just recently I saw a video of some people bringing out a 500E from the dead somewhere in Russia (
). I know for sure there are shops who do it in Poland as well.

Maybe try speaking with one of these (e. g. https://www.gregoiresautorepair.com/Blasdell-electric-hybrid.html)? Or, if there aren't any, maybe it would make sense to tow the car to another state.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The thing is the car isn’t worth diddly squat and the parts is still expensive regardless so it just makes these car disposable. It would probably make sense to buy another used one and keep your broken one or part it out for spares and sell it’s worth more as parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol I don't think anyone is rushing to buy this car again. I had an electric Honda Fit for 5 years no issues, I figured this car would last 5 years- it lasted less than two, but 5 years overall I guess. Fiat still charges astronomical prices for parts that are the same since the 2013 model year.

I want to know what Fiat is doing for all the other forum users who's cars died just due to it sitting for a month due to the pandemic. Are they replacing their batteries at $30,000+ each? One user said they couldn't find a close enough dealership. I mean I would foot the bill to ship my car to Russia if it was cheaper than the $8,400 Fiat is asking to diagnose it- they're not garunteeing it will even be fixed by replacing the power inverter module.

Sadly the tech from the dealership already said it's the battery. But Fiat is making me replace the inverter first before they invest in replacing the battery.

If I could have kept my Honda Fit for another 2 years I would. At least Honda just crushed all their compliance cars instead of selling them to people thinking they would actually service them. Same thing with the Mitsubishi i-MiEV, they were all crushed too. Better than selling these cars without actually supporting them.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts

Your battery says 95%, so how is not holding a charge? Maybe it is just the inverter?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Your battery says 95%, so how is not holding a charge? Maybe it is just the inverter?
Because u can have 96 of the 97 cells still good but one goes bad the battery can’t function. Battery can function well past its original capacity.
This is one of those things that Tesla has a perk on you can have a few bad cells and they won’t leave you stranded on the side of the road like our cars. What happens to their cars as you have reduce capacity since a few cells aren’t working anymore but at least you’re still on the road. The way most other electric vehicles are wired up if one cell goes bad the whole battery pack takes a dump and leaves you on the side of the road. Best explanation is think of our battery as cheap Xmas tree lights, you know the one when one bulb goes out all of them don’t work. Think of Tesla as the more expensive one with the third wire where just the bad bulb is off and the rest still working. Their top cell fuse plate is designed just for that reason.

·
Registered
98 Posts
@twinturboz do you have a reference to base this? A dead cell (if it's dead) is quite easy to replace - you just have to properly drop the battery, what the independent shops are exactly doing. They often don't even need to replace any cells, as it's only the controllers that need fixes or proper restarts.

By the way the Russian video above mentions a$$hands breaking the connectors when try to work on the HV. It's about a similar issue - a car (supposedly pre-U69) was standing at zero charge for a while, and due to glitches in the BMS the cells lost their balance, which created a storm of errors and bricking.

By separately charging the cells and balancing they brought it back from dead after 1.5 years of hot-potaoeing through different amateurs.

·
Registered
433 Posts
@twinturboz do you have a reference to base this? A dead cell (if it's dead) is quite easy to replace - you just have to properly drop the battery, what the independent shops are exactly doing. They often don't even need to replace any cells, as it's only the controllers that need fixes or proper restarts.

By the way the Russian video above mentions a$$hands breaking the connectors when try to work on the HV. It's about a similar issue - a car (supposedly pre-U69) was standing at zero charge for a while, and due to glitches in the BMS the cells lost their balance, which created a storm of errors and bricking.

By separately charging the cells and balancing they brought it back from dead after 1.5 years of hot-potaoeing through different amateurs.
Reference to base what? the fact that if you have a bad cell in a car other than a Tesla it’s gonna leave you on the side of the road or what. It does happen, the batteries are wired in series if you break something in the chained series it’s gonna brick the pack. You can replace that one bad cell in question yes but not many of us are up to that task is what I’m saying.

·
Registered
98 Posts
@twinturboz reference on the serial connection. Through the OBD we can read the status of every individual cell, which would be not possible if these were connected in series, no?

·
Registered
433 Posts
@twinturboz reference on the serial connection. Through the OBD we can read the status of every individual cell, which would be not possible if these were connected in series, no?
That’s because each module has its own v sensor and bms for each clusters but they are wired in series you can’t get 388V out of a parallel wired cell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because u can have 96 of the 97 cells still good but one goes bad the battery can’t function. Battery can function well past its original capacity.
This is one of those things that Tesla has a perk on you can have a few bad cells and they won’t leave you stranded on the side of the road like our cars. What happens to their cars as you have reduce capacity since a few cells aren’t working anymore but at least you’re still on the road. The way most other electric vehicles are wired up if one cell goes bad the whole battery pack takes a dump and leaves you on the side of the road. Best explanation is think of our battery as cheap Xmas tree lights, you know the one when one bulb goes out all of them don’t work. Think of Tesla as the more expensive one with the third wire where just the bad bulb is off and the rest still working. Their top cell fuse plate is designed just for that reason.
Lol it doesn't seem like the Nissan leaf is setup that way: https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/4t3uzf
Seems like the i3 can fail if one cell fails.

In my searching even though I hate the way the Nissan leaf looks, at least their battery replacement doesn't cost $30k+.

I'm pretty sure I could have gone to any Ford, Chevy, Nissan or BMW dealerships to get any of their electric cars fixed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts