Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
That’s because the battery offered by Nissan are reman units (as in warranties packs are disassembled and mixed with good cells of another) not new and ever since the battery gate deal where there was lawsuits on degradation of batteries Nissan good willed a ton of “out of warranty” leafs. They have a program where the cost of the battery is subsidized. Anyways their battery is much simpler than ours they do not have any kind of cooling other than air and that makes it a lot simpler to assemble and make. No water hoses, cooling plates no chiller plates, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Still- at least Nissan is covering the warranty. I just got a call from Fiat customer service. Today would be six weeks they had my car but 2 weeks ago they told me I would need to pay $8,400 to have this power inverter module replaced to see if that is the issue and not the battery. Although for a whole month I thought they were actually fixing the car under warranty with a new battery.

They countered last week and said they would pay half- so it would cost me $4,200. I asked them if they could garuntee this would fix the issue, they said no. I asked if I could get my money back if this didn't fix the issue they said no. I asked them if I could just pay for the part used and pay them to install it they said yes but no discount on labor.

Here's the part used- that they want $6,600 for plus tax (only $600 what a steal lol). 2013-2017 Fiat 500e Power Inverter OEM | eBay

The labor to install it by the dealership is $1,400. So I could spend $4,200 for new or $2,000 for used. Neither have garuntees, and Fiat could turn around and say they still won't install the new battery under warranty. I hope all you guys paid attention to that fiat teardown video...

What would you guys do? Is it normal that a dealership can't say for certain that will fix the issue? It's not like I can get a second opinion and according to the tech at the dealership it's the battery. This is something that Fiat engineers over the phone want the dealership to try before installing a new battery. Unfortunately I have to make a decision, because the car has been there for a while. I was kinda hoping the users in the other thread who hadn't used their car for a while and had bricked HV batteries ran into similar issues, but they can't even get their car to a dealership nearby.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Was the recall work done for the inverter? If it wasn't, shouldn't they replace the inverter under the recall? If it was, what is the warranty for the replaced unit? I'm guessing it is expired, but maybe something to look into?

I find it hard to believe that they can't do a diagnostic on the inverter to determine if it is the problem without actually replacing it.

That is where I would start.
Depending on the answers/response, you may want to get a lawyer involved. . .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thank you. Seriously I asked if they would just give me the value of the car against a gas car because I didn't really like that the car could spontaneously shut down as I was driving. I read about that happening before actually buying the car but that really did happen to me. They said they would give me 1-5% off only a brand new vehicle but not the value of the car. I should clarify that I asked for the market value of 7k off of a gas car that I would buy from them- they said no. I ended up buying a car just because I've been without a car for 6 weeks because they could not give me a courtesy vehicle.

I only decided to post here after the dealership tech basically said I was wasting my money because he told the engineers that it is the HV battery but they want me to pay for this power inverter module instead. This was after being told for weeks the battery was on its way to be installed.

I'll post in that thread on Reddit. I hope none of you ever actually have to get this car repaired outside of California or Oregon.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It’s unfortunate that you don’t have the car in your possession at your residence. If you did, you could run AlfaOBD and try to determine if a particular cell appears to be an outlier compared to the others. But what is even more unfortunate is the way Fiat is treating you and is very concerning for all of us as owners,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Definitely concerns me.

I did find this Mopar refurbished battery for $4k

A lot better than $30k.
Fiat never changed any of the electrical components for the 2013-2019 model years, however that part number is slightly different than this one:

I was looking though that user's post history on Reddit. When Fiat had to replace the battery instead of honoring the warranty they offered him $4,000 instead for his 2014 Fiat 500e with 24,000 miles on it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fiat500e/comments/h7chqe/_/fulnmej
I thought they would give about 6-$7k which is the current value of the car. They offered to pay me $4,200 towards this other part they know I wouldn't buy. I had to buy another car during the interim because the dealership didn't have any courtesy vehicles. At this point I would take the cash offer even though it's a loss for me. Cost of ownership for the Honda FitEV was $199 per month. I paid about $10,000 for this car in 2018 and it lasted just under 2 years. It would have been cheaper to stick with my previous electric vehicle if I could have.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
Don't you guys think it's much more likely (unfortunately) for a service center to be wrong (especially about a rare car), or even outright lie (especially to "milk" the manufacturer for warranty work), than it is for a battery to very suddenly just completely fail during normal use? It's not impossible, but it seems extremely unlikely...

Consider every single rechargeable battery you've ever used. I can't recall one ever just instantly failing. A car's 12V may SEEM to fail suddenly, but if you monitor it you see it is just gradually aging until if finally doesn't quite have enough power to start the car, even though lights may still work. Li-ions like in cell phones, laptops & EVs also gradually age, reducing how long they run between charges, until finally the run time just becomes too low to be practical.

Even if the service center gave you back the battery that they say they think is "bad", you'd have to go to considerable effort to prove it's still okay.

More likely it's software (especially if U69 wasn't done) or non-battery hardware (especially if an inverter recall wasn't done).

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
I don’t know if any of you ever thought of it this way but I used to work for a dealerships a number of them and I remember they used to be a Shiesty service writer that would try to leverage warranty work with customer pay and wants to try to get more out of you but at the same time make you feel like you’re getting a better deal even though they were trying to scam you. Like for example let’s say there’s nothing wrong with your inverter at all but they know you’re cornered and the only Fiat dealer in your area and they’re trying to leverage you paying out-of-pocket for that but they will warranty the battery for you so in theory it looks like you’re getting a great deal but had you have options elsewhere maybe other dealer would probably would’ve just swap the battery and be on your way and still get to keep your $4000. Just saying...

At Nissan there was a guy who had a 07 Sentra (at the time it was fairly new) but he was out of warranty for a cvt transmission that took a dump, and service guy would try to leverage “I can probably get them to goodwill the transmission if you okay the other work.” (leaky timing cover and pan gasket) so the way I see it, it’s almost like extortion but made in a way to make you feel you have the better deal. And I hate why they can’t just goodwill what broke and be on his way without having to drop $1800 of work he would otherwise declined. Later down the line Nissan launched a warranty extension on Nissan cars with Cvt because of common failures though but still why the tactic?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
Exactly!

Toyota warrantied my last rare just-out-of warranty car* after only 50k miles, due to burning a quart of oil every 36 miles. They had it for 3 months to "milk" the head office for the work: First they replaced just the worn-out piston rings (which did nothing) & gave it back. Then they replaced the worn-out block & gave it back, still no good. Then they replaced the worn-out crankshaft & con-rods & gave it back still not good. Finally they replaced the worn-out valves & camshafts & it was perfect.

They wouldn't have been able to charge Toyota anywhere near as much if they only pulled the engine once & rebuilt it properly in one shot. They probably rightly figured I would not stand for that kind of abuse myself, if they hadn't warrantied it.

twinturboz: I would have "liked" your post, but it's not exactly a likeable situation!

*Corolla-powered MR2 Spyder, on which all that was needed for Toyota to claim credit as "ultra-low-emissions" was to add little catalytic converters in the exhaust manifold. Normal engine vibration crumbled their ceramic honeycomb into highly-abrasive dust. During valve overlap at some normal throttle/load conditions the dust got into the engine, resulting in ultra-high-emissions (of burnt oil).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Exactly!

Toyota warrantied my last rare just-out-of warranty car* after only 50k miles, due to burning a quart of oil every 36 miles. They had it for 3 months to "milk" the head office for the work: First they replaced just the worn-out piston rings (which did nothing) & gave it back. Then they replaced the worn-out block & gave it back, still no good. Then they replaced the worn-out crankshaft & con-rods & gave it back still not good. Finally they replaced the worn-out valves & camshafts & it was perfect.

They wouldn't have been able to charge Toyota anywhere near as much if they only pulled the engine once & rebuilt it properly in one shot. They probably rightly figured I would not stand for that kind of abuse myself, if they hadn't warrantied it.

twinturboz: I would have "liked" your post, but it's not exactly a likeable situation!

*Corolla-powered MR2 Spyder, on which all that was needed for Toyota to claim credit as "ultra-low-emissions" was to add little catalytic converters in the exhaust manifold. Normal engine vibration crumbled their ceramic honeycomb into highly-abrasive dust. During valve overlap at some normal throttle/load conditions the dust got into the engine, resulting in ultra-high-emissions (of burnt oil).
You don’t need to tell me about it i used to work for Toyota and I drove one of those cars but mine was a later model with the revised manifold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I brought my fiat 500e to the dealership under the impression that it was an easy fix. They did the U69 software update as well.

I was not expecting the battery to be toast.

The dealership just wants my car off the lot, they were fine with just doing the battery replacement under warranty- the power inverter module is something FCA want the dealership to try.

Also the thread you pointed me to. I'm trying to get in contact with that user because after looking into it- the 2014 he owns is the model year with the hardware recall on the power inverter module as well (not just software). So they can't just make him replace that part before replacing the battery. Also Fiat is only giving him $4k for his car when that's not even the market value for the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Is there any way you can access the car, in order to check it? (with a $20 blue-tooth dongle & free AlfaOBD "demo" app)
Please point me to which dongle to buy.

Is it the Konnwei KW902 referenced here:

I'll make an hour trip to the dealership. What will the dongle tell me? Can I take a screenshot of it and upload it here and you guys can guess what's wrong with my car?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
That's the exact dongle I've been successfully using ($17 eBay ELM327 KONNWEI KW902).

There are tips for its use, & some of what to look for here.

I would call the dealership first, & maybe even ask to be supervised so they know you aren't doing anything abnormal. I would also let this forum know when you plan to be there, so that we might be able to respond in real time.

If you can pull up the OBD's SOH numbers & they show anything remotely reasonable, you have a legitimate reason for asking why they suspect the battery.

I would also try 5 key cycles to clear errors. Try first in rapid succession, then try waiting for the "off thunk" between cycles, then try waiting for the screen to go fully black (not just dark grey) which sometimes seems to require exiting & locking.

I would also try a multi-minute 12V disconnect (requires 10mm, or at least a Crescent wrench. Pliers in a real pinch).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Based on the description of the inverter recall, this could be the problem. Do you know if your car had the recall work done??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The dealership said they applied the U69 update. The recall on the inverter was for the 2014 model year so Fiat does not want to cover it for my 2015 since the software update would miraculously fix it.

I contacted one of the other users on Reddit complaining that Fiat would not replace his AC compressor under warranty, which has a list price of $5,345 Condenser, Compressor & Lines for 2015 Fiat 500 | Mopar Parts

I'm just hoping to hear back from the other forum user that said Fiat would not replace his battery and would rather pay him $4,000. I'd take that offer at this point rather then to go through all the headache of trying to get this car repaired.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
The dealership said they applied the U69 update. The recall on the inverter was for the 2014 model year...
At FiatUSA.com if you click "recalls" (under "owners") & enter the vin, you can see which recalls were done, when they were done, & any that aren't done yet.

If yours was supposed to get inverter work under 2013-2016 recall code S26 (or any other code) but didn't, then they are required to fix it for free.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts