Fiat 500 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Fiat cares?

Fiat does not honor the traction battery warranty. I love my 500e but it is at dealer service...it appeared to me that the computers were confused. Refused to let the car out of park. Fiat says there is a deep discharge and the traction battery is bad.

No one has offered to honor the warranty by replacing the battery. Instead they offered to purchase it for $2800. It is in perfect condition, like a new car, with about 62k miles. It would cost 6-7.5k to replace it, and electric orange with white interior (featured on the website) is hard to find...it was like a 2k option when new.

My preference would be Fiat HONOR THE WARRANTY by fixing my favorite car I have ever owned. If that is not possible they could replace it with one of the thousands of cars they auction off every year as they come off of lease.

I cannot purchase this vehicle at bottom dollar (wholesale) but Fiat can. This is unfair and insulting. Fix it or replace it Fiat. I will be consulting with a lawyer soon to research my options. Don't feel I am being treated in good faith here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello Fiat cares?

Fiat does not honor the traction battery warranty. I love my 500e but it is at dealer service...it appeared to me that the computers were confused. Refused to let the car out of park. Fiat says there is a deep discharge and the traction battery is bad.

No one has offered to honor the warranty by replacing the battery. Instead they offered to purchase it for $2800. It is in perfect condition, like a new car, with about 62k miles. It would cost 6-7.5k to replace it, and electric orange with white interior (featured on the website) is hard to find...it was like a 2k option when new.

My preference would be Fiat HONOR THE WARRANTY by fixing my favorite car I have ever owned. If that is not possible they could replace it with one of the thousands of cars they auction off every year as they come off of lease.

I cannot purchase this vehicle at bottom dollar (wholesale) but Fiat can. This is unfair and insulting. Fix it or replace it Fiat. I will be consulting with a lawyer soon to research my options. Don't feel I am being treated in good faith here.
If it is still under warranty, lawyer up. My coworker bought a brand new Ford recently with engine problems. Was in the shop 5x. He retained a lawyer. Ended up with a brand new engine and $6,000 cash in his pocket.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Darn! I should have done that when my Toyota was in the shop for 3 months when the engine went bad at 50k mi.

I thought the warranty was "repair or replace"? (not "or buy-back"). Maybe try a different dealer. A few Fiats seemed to be getting warranty batteries last time I was at Orange Coast in Costa Mesa.

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it is still under warranty, lawyer up. My coworker bought a brand new Ford recently with engine problems. Was in the shop 5x. He retained a lawyer. Ended up with a brand new engine and $6,000 cash in his pocket.
I called a lemon law attorney, awaiting callback. It is still under 8 year/100k mile propulsion battery warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Darn! I should have done that when my Toyota was in the shop for 3 mo when the engine went bad at 50k mi.

Isn't the warranty "repair or replace"? (not "or buy-back"). Maybe try a different dealer. A few Fiats seemed to be getting warranty batteries last time I was at Orange Coast in Costa Mesa.

View attachment 109252
Is that a new crated propulsion battery electric tire shredder? Do you work on the 500e yourself?

Apparently Fiat/Chrysler is doing buy backs now. I have not yet been offered another option, although I have a "right of refusal."

So what are the other options? My only contact has been from the "FCA Reacquired Vehicle Processing Department."

The dealer service manager has been very kind and helpful. Corporate FCA has left him in the dark, and he calls me to see what is happening. Poor communication on the corporate FCA end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Darn! I should have done that when my Toyota was in the shop for 3 mo when the engine went bad at 50k mi.

Isn't the warranty "repair or replace"? (not "or buy-back"). Maybe try a different dealer. A few Fiats seemed to be getting warranty batteries last time I was at Orange Coast in Costa Mesa.

View attachment 109252
I wonder if I can try a different dealer. Lots of battery replacements in the history. Wonder if FCA is trying to get these off the street since they will no longer be sold in the U.S.? Anyone have high mileage on the 500e without troubles? The guy I spoke with said it is a random problem with maybe 10% of vehicles sold. Thinks it might be related to assembly quality. Not an official statement-who knows.

Love that car. Questioning if I should buy another. Not certain the dealer really knows how to work on/troubleshoot these cars. Sigh.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Is that a new crated propulsion battery electric tire shredder? Do you work on the 500e yourself?
Yes, it appeared to be a "new" crated drive batt. More "click to enlarge" pics below, 1 car of at least 2 or 3 with batteries out at Orange Coast at the time. I put "new" in quotes because apparently "new" warranty replacements are just reassembled from the acceptable cells of used battery packs!

I do not work on the 500e professionally. Just relatively minor tinkering on my own, such as cabin air filter replacement, removing alignment pins & drilling out wheel holes to fit lightweight after-markets, deleting the rear seatbacks, hatch subfloor, rear wiper/motor, pedestrian alert noisemaker & oem 12V batt (3Lb motorbike battery installed recently).

Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Transport Car Label Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automobile repair shop

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
828 Posts
Yes, it appeared to be a "new" crated drive batt. More "click to enlarge" pics below, 1 car of at least 2 or 3 with batteries out at Orange Coast at the time. I put "new" in quotes because apparently "new" warranty replacements are just reassembled from the acceptable cells of used battery packs!

I do not work on the 500e professionally. Just relatively minor tinkering on my own, such as cabin air filter replacement, removing alignment pins & drilling out wheel holes to fit lightweight after-markets, deleting the rear seatbacks, hatch subfloor, rear wiper/motor, pedestrian alert noisemaker & oem 12V batt (3Lb motorbike battery installed recently).

View attachment 109253 View attachment 109254 View attachment 109255
Yep, that part# is a internally used service only # not sold public or even in regular parts catalogs. They are from what the Fiat tech said to me cobbled together refurbs from other bad packs. So who knows if cell balance is all tolerable or not but they aren't all new like one would think. That # is only used for warranty work, dealer net is something like $4200 instead of the customer pay ones which is like $13k and that is exactly why there is a overlapped part# sticker over the OEM new pack # like in pic.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Thanks for the info. For $4200 + labor I could probably buy a fully functional 500e with an equivalent used battery pack included & sell the other one as parts! For $13k I could buy TWO !!

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
828 Posts
Thanks for the info. For $4200 + labor I could probably buy a fully functional 500e with an equivalent used battery pack included & sell the other one as parts! For $13k I could buy TWO !!
Unfortunately this will be the future of modern EV's and hybrids as the expensive components makes the car readily disposable to the avg driver. If any time was a perfect time for a specialty shop to pop up that refurbs packs of various EV and Hybrids cars it would be super lucrative and give many would be junked EV a second chance at life at a price regular people could afford. I mean id pay $1500~ to have my pack bad cells replaced its still within its worth.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Probably most common for only 1 cell to go bad, or maybe just 1 of the several small groups of cells, so I'd like to know pricing & availability of new or certified used cells. I think I read that they're doing that to refurbish 500e packs in Europe.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Probably most common for only 1 cell to go bad, or maybe just 1 of the several clusters, so I'd like to know pricing & availability of new or certified used cells. I think I read that they're doing that to refurbish 500e packs in Europe.
My question is why can’t more EV just embrace the Tesla style of packs where a few cells can go bad but doesn’t affect the car or ability to run. All that happens is lost overall capacity (very small) since we’re talking over 6000 cells there so a few bad ones aren’t gonna make a huge difference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My question is why can’t more EV just embrace the Tesla style of packs where a few cells can go bad but doesn’t affect the car or ability to run. All that happens is lost overall capacity (very small) since we’re talking over 6000 cells there so a few bad ones aren’t gonna make a huge difference.
The big difference is the cell type.

Fiat cells are large prismatic cells with a very large capacity.

Tesla cells are tiny cylindrical cells with a small capacity.

To get to the voltage the fiat puts all the cells in series.

The tesla cells need to be parallel to have the capacity to run long enough to be feasible.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The big difference is the cell type.

Fiat cells are large prismatic cells with a very large capacity.

Tesla cells are tiny cylindrical cells with a small capacity.

To get to the voltage the fiat puts all the cells in series.

The tesla cells need to be parallel to have the capacity to run long enough to be feasible.
But the darn thing works and it has a reliable operation. I’ve seen a tear down of one just amazing tech how it’s put together. very robust construction.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
I think maybe what TwinTurboz means is that he wishes the Fiat had tiny cells like a Tesla, but I thought our own large cells were composed of many smaller cells in parallel, one or more of which could fail without complete loss of function. Essentially the same as a Tesla, except our tiny cells are just boxed in their parallel groups.

For warranty purposes I'm kind of glad if ours fail "all-or-nothing", so Fiat can't say "No warranty, since it still goes (30mph for 30 miles)".

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think maybe what TwinTurboz means is that he wishes the Fiat had tiny cells like a Tesla, but I thought our own large cells were composed of many smaller cells in parallel, one or more of which could fail without complete loss of function. Essentially the same as a Tesla, except our tiny cells are just boxed in their parallel groups.

For warranty purposes I'm kind of glad if ours fail "all-or-nothing", so Fiat can't say "No warranty, since it still goes (30mph for 30 miles)".
Yea but also means I can’t just cruise down to a vape shop and buy a readily available single cell that’s inexpensive to service a pack.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Ya, good point, AFTER warranty, we'd have to buy a minimum of 1.03% of a pack (1 of our 97 cells). Like I said above, I wonder what that would cost, & how rapidly that cost is going down.

Even one 97th of Fiat's $13k consumer price you mentioned is still only $134.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ya, good point, AFTER warranty, we'd have to buy a minimum of 1.03% of a pack (1 of our 97 cells). Like I said above, I wonder what that would cost, & how rapidly that cost is going down. 1 97th of Fiat's $13k consumer price is still only $134.
Unfortunately it’s harder to find a single prismatic cell of this type then the std cylindrical types used on everything from flashlight, vape box’s, laptops etc. I found one time someone was selling a single block cell from a 500e and it was $495 for a used one.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Thanks. So $500 for the part to fix a failed Fiat battery pack.

That makes me even more curious why Fiat wouldn't cover it under warranty.

This might become a more common topic after my 1st-production-run 500e passes its 8-year-battery-warranty point.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks. So $500 for the part to fix a failed Fiat battery pack.

That makes me even more curious why Fiat wouldn't cover it under warranty.
This is mostly due to the fact that the dealer network is not capable of such repair and requires entire pack to be replaced while that one single cell can be repaired at a Fiat refurbishing facility. Same way Toyota doesn’t authorize dealers to service HV packs on Prius and ask them to send the whole thing back whilst they just replace a couple bad cells and sell a reman pack for a lil less.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts