Fiat 500 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Okay, thank you. So it's all just lies. They may SAY their dealers are "Not capable", but that doesn't make it true. My local Toyota dealer replaced my piston rings under warranty!

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
828 Posts
Okay, thank you. So it's all just lies. They may SAY their dealers are "Not capable", but that doesn't make it true. My local Toyota dealer replaced my piston rings under warranty!
Piston rings are one thing but messing with hybrid batteries or high-voltage batteries or a whole other thing very few dealers actually have that sort of knowledge of technical abilities. We do engine rebuild and piston rings all the time that’s not a big deal but we never mess with high-voltage batteries here simply because Toyoda does not allow it. They also make it a point as well because no parts inside the high-voltage battery is serviceable or available separately. This policy is not limited to Fiat and Toyota I mean other companies like an Volkswagen an Tesla also don’t allow that either and they replace the entire packs

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Hmm... Should I rest my case calling bull$hit? (on the dealerships) "Piston rings are not a big deal but with batteries Toyota does not allow it".

If I continue to drive only as needed, hopefully by the time my battery needs it, reasonably-priced service will be readily available, since cars with piston rings will be illegal here by at least 2035.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Piston rings and batteries are 2 different animals. The facility, training, bonds and liability insurance required to service batteries vs. how often it needs to be done make it obvious why no dealers would want to waste time and resources on it. That might change in 10-20 years, but for now it makes sense just to swap out the whole battery.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mechanics aren't usually trained in 50+ volt safety, They are trained in "don't drop heavy things on yourself" safety.

to those who have the knowledge, and a healthy respect for what's going on, replacing a cell in a module in the pack is no more difficult than replacing rings in an engine.

BUT, would you want an Electrician replacing your piston rings?

About the same as a non trained mechanic replacing one cell in the pack.

DC arc flash is a VERY real and dangerous thing. and beyond likely injuring/killing the "mechanic" has a high chance of damaging ALL the cells in the pack, as in such an even they will all see an extremely large current draw.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've seen quite a bit of documentation for shops dealing with EVs from a certain manufacturer which I cannot mention.

The requirements are ridiculous. For example, a vehicle after an accident (minor fender benders included) needs to be placed in an isolation area and watched with thermal imaging cameras. The floor space needed would be too much for any regular shop.

Or, you have to wear high voltage safety gear when working on batteries or close to them. Good luck plugging in the sockets with thick gloves.

The level of mystification is similar to that of concrete in North America.

In Europe, you go buy a bag (for 3X less) and do simple casting yourself. Here, with dolomite being aplenty, you need to hire a truck for $100 an hour, have a bunch of permits, and eventually pay exorbitant prices for the concrete itself.

Bricklaying? OMG, it's not possible, too complicated and the insurance companies don't know what to do!

Maybe that's the reason why there are independent shops popping around EU, which are not afraid to replace a dead cell in a modular battery or reflash a controller.

This side of the pond? We still need to wait. Or mcgyver something ourselves.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've seen quite a bit of documentation for shops dealing with EVs from a certain manufacturer which I cannot mention.

The requirements are ridiculous. For example, a vehicle after an accident (minor fender benders included) needs to be placed in an isolation area and watched with thermal imaging cameras. The floor space needed would be too much for any regular shop.

Or, you have to wear high voltage safety gear when working on batteries or close to them. Good luck plugging in the sockets with thick gloves.

The level of mystification is similar to that of concrete in North America.

In Europe, you go buy a bag (for 3X less) and do simple casting yourself. Here, with dolomite being aplenty, you need to hire a truck for $100 an hour, have a bunch of permits, and eventually pay exorbitant prices for the concrete itself.

Bricklaying? OMG, it's not possible, too complicated and the insurance companies don't know what to do!

Maybe that's the reason why there are independent shops popping around EU, which are not afraid to replace a dead cell in a modular battery or reflash a controller.

This side of the pond? We still need to wait. Or mcgyver something ourselves.

I always do my own mcgyvering,

Yes, if I kill myself, I know it was my mistake.

if I had the $$ I'd definitely be seeing if I3 Cells would fit in our pack and modules.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Good points being made. In fact, I wouldn't have expected my Toyota dealer to rebuild my engine (4 times, before they got it right!) instead of just swapping it out for one that had been rebuilt at a specialty center.

However, since they DID rebuild it, complete with toxic, poisonous, flammable, explosive fluids, & 20,000-volt ignition system, it seems a bit unreasonable for them to refuse to do battery work, especially when QCCharge says (for their J1772-to-CHAdeMO conversion kit) "any qualified mechanic or methodical weekend car hobbyist should have no problem with the installation".

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would imagine that only trained and approved dealership and/or technicians will have the instruction. Or that the instructions are readily accessible, but there's a liability clause that prevents dealers from performing repairs/service without approval.

Does Fiat provide battery repair instructions to their dealers? If not, that's the end of the story. They just won't do it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Again, good points, & sending a defective pack for service at a centrally-located specialty center is a perfectly valid option, but it really shouldn't matter for now*, since legally FCA must repair or replace an EV with a non-functional drive battery, under the federal &/or state mandated EV warranty requirements.

*until we hit 8yr/100k mi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the second owner of this 2015 Fiat 500e and I purchased it from a dealer in NJ and live in Long Island NY. Ever since I bought the car, in June 2018 I tried taking it to any of the local Fiat dealerships near me, but apparently nobody could do a simple software update as required by a recall notice in October 2018.

Fast forward to April 21, 2020, the car fails with service propulsion system error. At this point the car has just under 40k miles and I had put on about 8k miles since purchasing it less than 2 years prior. The car literally stopped accelerating while driving it, with no warnings like a gas car would give you, just a sudden loss of power. Thank god I was not on a busy street and could get over to the shoulder. The car can not move and is now a giant brick.

The next day I call Fiat customer service who was no help. They recommended I tow it back to where I bought it in NJ. Note that interstate towing would be over $1,000 as it requires a special license to tow across state lines. They closed out my initial case when they could not find a dealership in NY that could service it. Luckily I called every dealership and found one that was only 60+ miles away in NY.

During this time because of the pandemic, I was told I could not get a courtesy vehicle. I was told after about 3 weeks of diagnostic testing that it was the battery in the car had failed and would cost $29,000 to replace. Luckily that is covered by the warranty, however as of a week ago, the Fiat engineers would like me to replace the power inverter module at a cost of about $8,400. That part 5190154AH cost about half that online 1/10 that used.

I was told by the tech that they believe it is the battery because it doesn't hold a charge, but I guess to get out of the warranty repair Fiat made it so I need to replace this part before they replace the battery. They even stated the money would not be refundable if the power inverter module is not the cause of the issue and it is in fact the battery. They also explained there is another battery that cost $6,000 that is not covered by the warranty. So it seems like there are multiple outs for Fiat to get out of this warranty repair.

Just glancing through the cost of the parts for this car, it doesn't make sense to purchase a Fiat 500e at any price. Even though on paper it seems like a good deal at a price range of $6k-10k for a used vehicle off lease, all of the parts for this car cost more than the car. Previously I had a Honda FitEV for 5 years under their $199 per month lease program. This Fiat 500e didn't even last 2 years, and every part for it cost more than Ferrari parts and none of the regular Fiat dealerships service the car.

It is going on a month and a half, and I have been asking Fiat to help out since there was a recall on the power inverter module as well, they offered to pay $4,200 of the cost for the inverter module, but that is more than the value of the car.
Did you ever get this resolved? My vehicle is having the same issue.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Fiat will start with a "dead" 12V starter battery, but it can cause issues, so make sure you check it. Most car parts stores will do a free load test, but a voltage gauge will also give you a pretty good idea (should be over 12V after being parked unplugged for a few hours).

If it's okay, follow the instructions here: How To Clear Warning Messages/Error Codes

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
828 Posts
I am gonna press my luck and drive to work 60% charge to see where I stand tomorrow morning. Theoretically I should arrive with 15-20%~ but we’ll see.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Heh weird calibration I guess I arrived with 27% remaining. Kinda a high guess after 34.5miles at 70mph.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
That's a very good 5.2mi/kWh, based on 20kWh usable capacity & a calibrated % gauge. It's bit warmer outside today though. In a recent LA "cold" spell I checked my usual drive in 42F instead of my usual 60-70F & it took about 1.1 times as much as usual from the battery.

Back to the thread's warranty issue, I always say if mine gets stolen or totaled I'll definitely get another one, possibly older* than last time, with more miles* BUT new enough to add the 10yr/100k Mercury Insurance extended warranty, which requires something like less than 50k miles & more than 6 months factory warranty remaining.

*Since I now know it makes little difference to battery health.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Currently the car cost me less then $1 a day in power since I no longer charge at home. I charge for free at work and do a top off charge at my local gym I go to which has a charge point just outside and get fully charged for about $0.75-0.90 in power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am the second owner of this 2015 Fiat 500e and I purchased it from a dealer in NJ and live in Long Island NY. Ever since I bought the car, in June 2018 I tried taking it to any of the local Fiat dealerships near me, but apparently nobody could do a simple software update as required by a recall notice in October 2018.

Fast forward to April 21, 2020, the car fails with service propulsion system error. At this point the car has just under 40k miles and I had put on about 8k miles since purchasing it less than 2 years prior. The car literally stopped accelerating while driving it, with no warnings like a gas car would give you, just a sudden loss of power. Thank god I was not on a busy street and could get over to the shoulder. The car can not move and is now a giant brick.

The next day I call Fiat customer service who was no help. They recommended I tow it back to where I bought it in NJ. Note that interstate towing would be over $1,000 as it requires a special license to tow across state lines. They closed out my initial case when they could not find a dealership in NY that could service it. Luckily I called every dealership and found one that was only 60+ miles away in NY.

During this time because of the pandemic, I was told I could not get a courtesy vehicle. I was told after about 3 weeks of diagnostic testing that it was the battery in the car had failed and would cost $29,000 to replace. Luckily that is covered by the warranty, however as of a week ago, the Fiat engineers would like me to replace the power inverter module at a cost of about $8,400. That part 5190154AH cost about half that online 1/10 that used.

I was told by the tech that they believe it is the battery because it doesn't hold a charge, but I guess to get out of the warranty repair Fiat made it so I need to replace this part before they replace the battery. They even stated the money would not be refundable if the power inverter module is not the cause of the issue and it is in fact the battery. They also explained there is another battery that cost $6,000 that is not covered by the warranty. So it seems like there are multiple outs for Fiat to get out of this warranty repair.

Just glancing through the cost of the parts for this car, it doesn't make sense to purchase a Fiat 500e at any price. Even though on paper it seems like a good deal at a price range of $6k-10k for a used vehicle off lease, all of the parts for this car cost more than the car. Previously I had a Honda FitEV for 5 years under their $199 per month lease program. This Fiat 500e didn't even last 2 years, and every part for it cost more than Ferrari parts and none of the regular Fiat dealerships service the car.

It is going on a month and a half, and I have been asking Fiat to help out since there was a recall on the power inverter module as well, they offered to pay $4,200 of the cost for the inverter module, but that is more than the value of the car.
I’m in same situation. Replaced 12v battery that didn’t resolve issue of car not starting. Had to tow 90 miles to fiat service center & after over a month was told I needed a new power inverter module.. cost over 8k. Chrysler stilantus offered me 2509. Off a brand new car.. lol. Sad 😭

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Maybe $3k for stealership installation of the PIM?

Either way, there's something definitely wrong here from Vandetta "in June 2018 I tried taking it to any of the local Fiat dealerships near me, but apparently nobody could do a simple software update as required by a recall notice in October 2018."

I'm pretty sure Oct 2018 was the last recall, which I think was U69 to prevent HV damage when it keeps trying to charge a failed 12V batt. Even assuming they meant "June 2019", many other users here have mentioned that every software update can be done at ANY FCA dealership, including NON-Fiat (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, etc.)

So if Vana truly is "in same situation", it's time to either educate the Fiat dealer or find a plain old FCA dealer who will do the software update(s). However it may be too late, if failure to do U69 prior to 12V failure has led to HV damage.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts