Fiat 500 Forum banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The U69 was done before I bought her. i took her to Waynesville Nc, the closest fiat service center to me last year to tune her up and they said they changed the oil! When she didn’t start during COVID I tried everything I saw online to remedy the problem which started from leaving my keys in the ignition. I found another dealer about 100 miles away in Newton Nc and they said they were savvy with the 500e. Had her towed and I was without my car for over a month month while it was there. All questions about the diagnosis had to go to corporate and then wait for 3-5 days until a response came back to figure out what to check next. It wasn’t true that they had a tech savvy with the 500e. I finally got a call that it was the PIM and would be over 8k to repair. My heart sunk. Thats more than the present value of my 2013 model. i asked the owner about fixing it and donating her to a 501C3 public educational NPO and receiving a tax deductible receipt for his company. He said, “But what if a new PIM doesn’t fix the problem?” So the diagnosis isn’t a sure thing anyway. He said the company wouldn’t guarantee that would work. Reading so many stories online of 500e owners having the pim issue, I think it’s fiats way of getting around having to replace the HV battery which is guaranteed.
Now I have a 500$ diagnosis fee, which they said was an in-house good rate, to get her out of the shop & get towed back. I asked the owner if he’d take a 500. Tax deductible receipt in lieu of diagnosis payment but got a no. I’m not able to even donate the car until I get it back and get the license plate to DMV.
Very frustrating & sad.
‘if I did get a refurbished PIM for 2k and hv my local mechanic replace it, I’d still not be sure that’d work. Then if it was the HV fiat may not honor the HV warranty & replace it because they weren’t the ones who put PIM in.
Im stuck betwixt & between, trying to ride above the corporate matrix.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Apparently Fiat requires PIM replacement prior to warranting the HV drive battery, even when there are no error codes that indicate any issue with the PIM. That's acceptable when Fiat is paying, while the PIM is still under its 4-year warranty. However, after that they're requiring the customer to pay to have a new PIM installed, with NO evidence that's needed.

I don't see how it could be legal to require a consumer to pay $8k in order to get the federally-mandated HV battery warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am the second owner of this 2015 Fiat 500e and I purchased it from a dealer in NJ and live in Long Island NY. Ever since I bought the car, in June 2018 I tried taking it to any of the local Fiat dealerships near me, but apparently nobody could do a simple software update as required by a recall notice in October 2018.

Fast forward to April 21, 2020, the car fails with service propulsion system error. At this point the car has just under 40k miles and I had put on about 8k miles since purchasing it less than 2 years prior. The car literally stopped accelerating while driving it, with no warnings like a gas car would give you, just a sudden loss of power. Thank god I was not on a busy street and could get over to the shoulder. The car can not move and is now a giant brick.

The next day I call Fiat customer service who was no help. They recommended I tow it back to where I bought it in NJ. Note that interstate towing would be over $1,000 as it requires a special license to tow across state lines. They closed out my initial case when they could not find a dealership in NY that could service it. Luckily I called every dealership and found one that was only 60+ miles away in NY.

During this time because of the pandemic, I was told I could not get a courtesy vehicle. I was told after about 3 weeks of diagnostic testing that it was the battery in the car had failed and would cost $29,000 to replace. Luckily that is covered by the warranty, however as of a week ago, the Fiat engineers would like me to replace the power inverter module at a cost of about $8,400. That part 5190154AH cost about half that online 1/10 that used.

I was told by the tech that they believe it is the battery because it doesn't hold a charge, but I guess to get out of the warranty repair Fiat made it so I need to replace this part before they replace the battery. They even stated the money would not be refundable if the power inverter module is not the cause of the issue and it is in fact the battery. They also explained there is another battery that cost $6,000 that is not covered by the warranty. So it seems like there are multiple outs for Fiat to get out of this warranty repair.

Just glancing through the cost of the parts for this car, it doesn't make sense to purchase a Fiat 500e at any price. Even though on paper it seems like a good deal at a price range of $6k-10k for a used vehicle off lease, all of the parts for this car cost more than the car. Previously I had a Honda FitEV for 5 years under their $199 per month lease program. This Fiat 500e didn't even last 2 years, and every part for it cost more than Ferrari parts and none of the regular Fiat dealerships service the car.

It is going on a month and a half, and I have been asking Fiat to help out since there was a recall on the power inverter module as well, they offered to pay $4,200 of the cost for the inverter module, but that is more than the value of the car.
I wonder if you got t finally fixed? I have been fighting a 500e that I am leasing. I have about 6 months to go. I have for six months had the car periodically end up with the turtle and the message limited power. Bt it could not move the car. Had it towed now four times to the dealer and on the last time they replaced the 12v which I do not believe had a problem. Well 10 days ago it did it again.when I called the dealer they informed me that they no longer work on Fiats under warranty because Fiat was not paying them for work? Called Fiat and since have really got no response. Had it escalated and am waiting for the big cahuna to call. I believe after what I have read here the battery has a bad connection with one of the cells. So what is going on the dealer did not want that say $10k while sale cost outlay and wait a couple of months to get paid. Now Fiat also wants to evade. Luckily it did start again but I suppose it will stop at some point and I will be paying for a dead car!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I thought I was in a nightmare, I'm going into my second month without my 500e. At least your dealer comminuted with you, the only person that communicated with me has been as case manager at US Customer Care. I've never owned where it took me three months to get a replacement key to use and now this HV battery issue!

121 - 126 of 126 Posts