Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Im newbie here and just bought my Fiat 500 2012 here in Brazil.
I'd like to put some big wheels ( my 500 came with 15") and also would like to change the original springs for sport ones.
Here in Brazil the roads are not that good as in Europe or Usa so I was wondering to buy 17" wheels. However ,I've seen some pics of 500 with 17" and they still look small. Not sure if its because the springs ( not lowering enough) or if 18" is the better choice.

Could you guys tell me the best combination of wheels + springs like wheel size 17 x 7.. 17 x 7.5... 18x ?? and the best spring brand and how low they can be (4cm.. 5 cm...etc).

I'd like to buy these wheels for my car, but in graphite color ( my car is white). They are 4x100 and the Fiat wheels are 4 x 98. Is it ok to use them? Do you guys know another brand which made the same model for Fiat?

http://www.rs7.com.br/produto-722-roda_enkei_ekm_3_aro_17

Thank you guys so much for helping me!

Best Regards
Ricardo

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
The OZ as mentioned above or if your roads are as bad as you state then perhaps Stance Mindset in 16X8 would be a safer choice, as for springs most people are going with Eibach, they offer a small drop in the Prokit and a more aggressive drop with the Sportline springs.

You can shop around for the best price but the springs and rims are available here:

Springs: http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_79
Rims: http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_92

So you know, Prokit Lowers Vehicle* 1.0" - 1.5"
Sportlines: Lowers Vehicle 1.7" - 2.3"

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When people say the Eibach Sportline drops the car 1.8 in front and 1.2 in back, is it for original wheels or it would be the same for 15".. 17"... I mean, my car came with 15" but I will replace them for 17". Will the Sportline fit on my car like that?

·
Registered
707 Posts
RV... drop/lowering means how much lower the car will be regardless if you replace your wheel/tire setup. should you replace your wheels/tires keep in mind the overall diameter of the tires may be increased or decreased depending on the size/specs you go with. please do some research on this to help you understand. I'm not an expert of the art, but when you go +1 or +2 in wheel diameter you tend to get larger tires as well and the profile (the amount of tire thickness is reduced which results in a bumpier ride) decreases.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ricardo when you shop around use this http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

try to keep the outside diameter as close to stock as possible as you plus size from the stock size.

Thank you so much!
I think the diameter is close.
My car came originaly with:
15" x 6 wheels, tyre 185 / 55 / 15
Diameter : 23,0 in

The new wheel and tyre will be:
17" x 7 wheels, tyre 205 / 40 / 17
Diameter : 23.5 in

The diameters difference is only 0.5 in. Is it ok? If I put 195/40 tyres the diameter will be 23.1 ( only 0.1 difference from the original one). However, I think the 205 is better for 17"wheels. Isn't it?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
what's the offset of the wheel? The rear of the car is the concern.

205/40 gives you a little more side wall for wheel protection provided you don't let your wife drive your car to Richmond. It's also widely available and typically less expensive.

Reactions: ricardovasco

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what's the offset of the wheel? The rear of the car is the concern.

205/40 gives you a little more side wall for wheel protection provided you don't let your wife drive your car to Richmond. It's also widely available and typically less expensive.
You mean the offset of the new wheel . Isn't it? There is 38 and 45(17"), I think.
The offset of the one which comes in the car is 35. ( 15")

Is it ok?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts