Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a white 2014 500e with the black interior. I bought it with 14k miles, and a year later have 25k, Its a great little car, I daily drive it for work.

That being said, I need to put new tires on it, it has the supposedly OE Firestones on it

Overall I am happy with them, the 500e burns them to the ground easily when I am trying to get in and around traffic which has made me think of getting a higher performance tire BUT it is only a 185-55-15, not sure how much more performance I can get out of such narrow tires.

Any experience or thoughts would be very helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm on a similar boat, except at 17k mi the firehawks are already quite dicey in the wet. From what I can see on tire rack the Yokohama avid advance GTs are a good option for me, except the reviewers found some tread noise. I haven't explored 195/55s much but there were some decent looking michelins on that size. By my calcs the speedo, range calcs, increased brake torque, decreased Accel torque, etc would vary by about 1.5%, which seems acceptable

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am about to get winter tires. I was looking at Hakkapeliitta R2, 195/55/15
They are supposed to have low rolling resistance and are great snows. R3 would be better, but cost $50 per tire more than the R2 (old v new version I guess).
The original tires only have 9800 on them, so would be good next season as well, but I don’t like them and reviews seem to universally pan them in rain and in the spring we will have strong thunderstorms and often appreciable hail/slush to drive through. Not sure what summer tire to get yet.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
Right: NO detectable range loss AT ALL.

I do mostly city miles (trip gauge shows 21mph & 4.6mi/kWh) so that MAY be a factor, but WEIGHT is a bigger factor for city, than hiway, so I wouldn't be surprised if hiway range also matches.

I try to keep 45psi in them*, so that may give me a tiny advantage, although I tried 50psi for a while & saw no difference.

* I speed up for corners, so my tires wear faster on the edges unless I "over" inflate them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right: NO detectable range loss AT ALL.

I do mostly city miles (trip gauge shows 21mph & 4.6mi/kWh) so that MAY be a factor, but WEIGHT is a bigger factor for city, than hiway, so I wouldn't be surprised if hiway range also matches.

I try to keep 45psi in them*, so that may give me a tiny advantage, although I tried 50psi for a while & saw no difference.

* I speed up for corners, so my tires wear faster on the edges unless I "over" inflate them.
Very cool!

I mostly do "City" driving as well, I mean it's on the highway but due to terrible rush hour traffic it's basically stop and go. I'm averaging 33mph and 148-152mpge

I'm gonna pull the trigger on those tires

In a surprising twist Discount tire has them cheaper than tire rack!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Grip: 126%. 63mph on my favorite "30mph" offramp (stock tires slid at 50)
Wear: Nearly double. 1/3 worn at 5k (stocks were bald at 8k)
Your moniker suits you!
I have only had my 500e for 600 miles so can’t tell about wear, but I assume the tires I bought it with were stock and had moderate wear at 9300 miles when I bought it.

I just ordered the Hakkapeliitta R2 for winter. I will put them on very soon, I would rather use them than the stock tires, even though winter is a ways away. Then I can report in what they are like.

I find the fiat rolls a little like a truck and would not like taking a 30 mph turn at 60 mph! Maybe I am used to my BMW. These two cars couldn’t be more different, but both are fun in their own way. The BMW is not a very sporty model, but it still hugs the curves without the kind of body roll and frame twist that the fiat has. It also doesn’t feel like a squirrel accelerating out of a turn.
But...my 500e is solar powered!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
As the saying goes, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow.

My friend's eGolf corners flatter, but slides on that same curve at only 55mph & it's boring to do so. It would probably be as much fun as the Fiat if it had SUPER-sticky tires & could take it at 80, but I'd rather have fun at less drastically illegal speeds.

Ya, ya, I recently posted about doing 80 dragracing a Maserati, but I never expected to even get past 45 before being passed & backing off, let alone 80!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ended up going with 205/50-15 Hankook Ventus V2

I was going to get them from Tire rack but Discount had them cheaper

First day impressions, much better grip in a straight line but still has slip, feels much less squirrelly in the turns or accelerating out of a curve

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
They seem to gain grip as they wear a bit: My friend just got the exact same set* & while driving hers taking off turning a corner they seemed to spin easier than mine. I recently did a spur-of-the-moment drag race with mine 5k worn & forgot to not just slam the pedal down but they didnt even spin at all. They were probably nice & warm from braking down a long steep hill shortly before, & the pavement was fresh, but it was slightly uphill at that point, accelerating across a fresh stop-line.

*at Discount, for their great warranty: I already had 2 punctures fixed free & an irreparable tread-edge puncture REPLACED free

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
Oh! Looks like rain in those pics, which makes me realize I have nearly no experience with that, yet* so maybe you can report back here about wet road performance.

*I only drive to work once a week, & the rest of the time I tend to avoid driving in the rain, partly since here in Southern California nearly nobody else knows how! (not their fault, since they get nearly no practice)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh! Looks like rain in those pics, which makes me realize I have nearly no experience with that, yet* so maybe you can report back here about wet road performance.

*I only drive to work once a week, & the rest of the time I tend to avoid driving in the rain, partly since here in Southern California nearly nobody else knows how! (not their fault, since they get nearly no practice)
Yeah it's the same here with the rain haha

So far they seemed pretty good in the rain, I mean they did slip when I punched it but that's expected on brand new tires on the rain.

Nothing really to test their stopping ability this morning or yesterday so can't say

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
Well now I can say. I got a pretty good Ventus wet test today. A moron drove right through a stop sign right in front of me. Needless to say, I braked pretty hard, but they gripped so well that the ABS didn't even activate!

I drove quite aggressively for wet conditions, & only once spun 1 a bit taking off from a stop making a hard turn.

Apparently summer tires generally have even better wet traction than all-seasons, but these seem very good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I ended up going with 205/50-15 Hankook Ventus V2

I was going to get them from Tire rack but Discount had them cheaper

First day impressions, much better grip in a straight line but still has slip, feels much less squirrelly in the turns or accelerating out of a curve
Are the larger rims in the front in those pictures? How's the road noise?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
Noise seems about the same.

I didn't specifically check for that. I guess I could have compared recordings from mine & my friend's, before she got the same tires as me. However I didn't NOTICE any difference, even though I did drive my friend's a few times with stock tires after i got my new ones.

Also, my own 500e has less interior sound absorption, since I removed the back seat & the hatch floor. I frequently drive my other friend's eGolf too, with it's own stock tires, & I notice similar road noise in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well they seem like good tires at a decent price. The 205 40 r17's are a bit more expensive and will be what I need to go with along with new rims. I can't deal with the 80+ dollars to unmount and remount for a rotation.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,225 Posts
Ya, I too couldn't justify paying more than the tire cost to rotate them, or another way to look at it would be the rims SAVE you money, compared to a few stock-rim rotations!

When going with larger rims, keep in mind rotational & unsprung weight. I stuck to the stock diameter & saved a few pounds off each corner of the car.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts