Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
792 Posts
Thats a tall tire, probably gonna squirm alot of turns because its beefy sidewalls. It is literally 1.46" taller then stock, your speedo will be off fairly significant amount. like at 70mph your car will be going 75 mph. Im sure it eill clear fine but thats alot of sidewall.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
792 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Purchased 4 tires from tirerack, 195/50/R15 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2 for $276 and went to a local tire shop to mount them on my 2017 500e. The tires are a tiny bit smaller than the stock. A bit wider but a bit shorter. What a difference though in ride quality. Before these new tires, I felt wobbly at highway speed, now it feels planted. Mileage also improved not decreased. Great tires.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,896 Posts
Ya, I like my own 205/50-15 Concept 2s. Thanks for the report & please post an update when you get to try them in rain/snow, panic stops, after a little wear, etc.

Note that with the smaller diameter the car thinks it's going further than it really is, so hopefully your range is based on a set commute, not the odometer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always felt that the range on this, my second 500e is not as good as the first one. After seeing this thread, I took a look and sure enough, the previous owner had replaced the tires with a non OEM type - Roadhugger GTR. I expect that the rolling resistance may be higher than the OEM FireHawks, causing the reduced range. I am looking forward to trying a set of the Ventus after seeing all the happy owners above. Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ya, I like my own 205/50-15 Concept 2s. Thanks for the report & please post an update when you get to try them in rain/snow, panic stops, after a little wear, etc.

Note that with the smaller diameter the car thinks it's going further than it really is, so hopefully your range is based on a set commute, not the odometer.
I was inspired by ETS to try a new set of HK Ventus Concept2 tires. My range is based on my daily commute which is about 40 miles combined, mostly highway with with 2 mile long hike up a steep hill and down. The new HK's give me about 5% more battery, don't know about range as I've already trained to just ignore. I also noticed less noise especially at 70+ mph, I listen to fm radio during my commute, and I now set the volume at around 12--had to set it at 18 prior to the HK's.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,896 Posts
I just realized that not only is 195 lighter than my same-range* 205s due to less tread width, their smaller diameter means less tread circumference, for even less tread weight. Also, that smaller tread mass is closer to the hub, for even less rotational inertia. Maybe next time I'll downsize like that, not just for even better city range** but also for even better acceleration :devilish: .

*Based of course on %, not the GOM.
**Light weight helps more at city speeds than highway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just realized that not only is 195 lighter than my same-range* 205s due to less tread width, their smaller diameter means less tread circumference, for even less tread weight. Also, that smaller tread mass is closer to the hub, for even less rotational inertia. Maybe next time I'll downsize like that, not just for even better city range** but also for even better acceleration :devilish: .

One downside of going 195 is it makes the car even more toy-like because the tires are smaller. I should take pictures and post them, but I don't have a "before" picture.

·
Registered
792 Posts

There’s no way in he!! I will be able to downsize in diameter I’m already dragging everything under the car I’m actually thinking about going taller like a 195/55 series. My car cannot go over most mall speed bumpers without scraping some part of my battery pack. It’s rare I go to any mall these days as it’s just my commute car and I hate malls in general but once in a while I stop by one to charge up the car if I need to. I think the 195/55 makes sense since my odometer isn’t as accurate as I’d like. When I’m driving 88mph my GPS says 85 so I think going taller would correct that 😂

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a downside to going taller. As the tire diameter increases, the torque to required rotate the tire also increases. It will take more power to move the car. It may be slower to accelerate and the range could drop significantly. Kinda like choosing a higher gear on your bike - it takes more energy to pedal. I did this years ago, playing with tire sizes and found as I got larger, the gas mileage dropped. There is a sweet spot that the car is designed for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's quite likely that the % gauge is a bit further out of calibration than your first 500e:
Regain Lost Range for Free!
I did the GOM re-set. Not much difference. I remember that my first car used about 1% battery per mile. This one uses about 1.2%. I will compare the % meter again with the ODB, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,896 Posts
Don't forget that you need to check the car's % gauge vs. OBD when it's low.

For example I've never reset my 2013 with 26k miles & it shows 11% when OBD says there's still 18% left, but at midrange they both say 50%.

Also, you may be right about it being the tires, or they may at least be part of the issue.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts