Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think the point is that if one has a 240V line, and a $30 adapter with the OEM EVSE will services 100% of your home needs, then why bother investing several hundred more dollars for a 30A EVSE that only charges at double the speed?

What is the adapter mentioned?
The dryer outlet I have is what this plug is used by the dryer, a 3 connector plug. View attachment 109481
You need a couple of adapters. The first adapter here converts your 10-30 socket to a 6-20 socket.

The second adapter (note that it's unavailable here on Amazon) is important. It converts a 6-15 (which is 240V) into a 5-15 (which is 120V) without changing the voltage. It's a specialized used for plant grow lights. You'll see lots of these that are the other way around, converting a 5-15 plug to a 6-20 socket. It won't work here. I have a link posted in another thread to a place that still sells them for $15. If I can locate it, I'll update that information here.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
Make SURE to take precautions that NOBODY ever plugs in ANYTHING except a CHARGER.
(car, phone, laptop, tablet, toothbrush, jumpstarter...)

If anyone EVER plugs in something else, it will most likely start a fire.

Courtesy of ga2500ev post on another thread, here is the link & a pic of the second adapter that's unavail on Amazon:

Plug the first adapter cord into the 240 outlet, plug this second little adapter plug into it, & plug in your car's charge-cord.

Click to enlarge:
illegal240vAdapter.png

·
Registered
268 Posts
While these are ready made solutions, it's not too difficult to build one yourself. Go to Home Depot and get a 10-30 3-prong dryer power cord and this 5-20 connector. Wire the three lines into the connector, making sure that the neutral line connects to the ground (green screw) on the connector. Takes about 10 minutes to assemble.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
Right, & if you're up for wiring your own plug like that, you might consider making a safe idiot-proof setup with a 240v plug on the cut-off end of the stock charge-cord. Then for use with 120v just put a 240 receptacle on the cut-off end of a 120v extension:

10-30P.jpg 10-30R to 5-15P.jpg

$11 Plug for charge-cord: Nema 10-30P Plug 30 Amp 125/250 Volt Angle Plug, 3 Pole 3 Wire Grounding Straight Blade Plug for Dyer and Ranges LK3331 - - Amazon.com

$4 Receptacle for extension cord: Cooper Wiring Devices, 125, 10-30R (mrsupply.com)

10-30R.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
ga2500 & ets,
My plan for tomorrow is to get a 10-30 dryer cord and attach a 5-20R connector it, being observant with the proper connection of the ground /neutral lead. I presume I also will need to identify which of the two remaining leads go to the "T" shaped port? Can the stock 500e charger then be plugged into this for the interface to the car? Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
268 Posts
ga2500 & ets,
My plan for tomorrow is to get a 10-30 dryer cord and attach a 5-20R connector it, being observant with the proper connection of the ground /neutral lead. I presume I also will need to identify which of the two remaining leads go to the "T" shaped port? Can the stock 500e charger then be plugged into this for the interface to the car? Am I on the right track?
No worries on the T shaped port. Both of the non ground connections get their own 120V circuit, so the ordering doesn't matter.

Do you have a multimeter? If so then do a continuity check between the L shaped pin on the dryer plug to locate the ground connection. Again make sure that one goes to the green nut in the 5-20R. Then connect both of the other two lines to the other nuts (gold/silver) in any order. I'd then plug it in and check the AC voltages before plugging in the EVSE. The T port and the vertical slot should show 240V volts and each of those slots should be 120V relative to the ground. If that's the case, then you're good to go.

One last caution: be sure to clearly label that 5-20R connector as dangerous and for EVSE use only. It only takes one time for someone to make the mistake of plugging in a 120V device into it while it's connected and releasing the magic smoke.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
I'm trying to think of a way to actually keep the 120V connectors locked together, with the key kept on your Fiat key ring. When unplugging from 120, lock the adapter back on to reduce the likelihood of someone using it to start a fire.

You could probably at least connect the adapter to the chargecord with a wire-tie or two, leaving plenty of slack to plug/unplug at 120 or 240 outlets, while pretty-much ensuring that the adapter stays with the only unit it should ever be used with, making it nearly obvious that's its only purpose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm trying to think of a way to actually keep the 120V connectors locked together, with the key kept on your Fiat key ring. When unplugging from 120, lock the adapter back on to reduce the likelihood of someone using it to start a fire.

You could probably at least connect the adapter to the chargecord with a wire-tie or two, leaving plenty of slack to plug/unplug at 120 or 240 outlets, while pretty-much ensuring that the adapter stays with the only unit it should ever be used with, making it nearly obvious that's its only purpose.
Note: many RV users have a connection lock device to keep unwanted disconnection and theft of very expensive power cords. Amazon carries the device, it may help in this situation. Check Amazon for a Camco Protective power ball lock, under $20.00.

Cynical

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
Brilliant! Thank you! No longer a fire hazard!
$19.14 & easily found just by putting your description above in Amazon's search field:
Camco Protective power ball lock:
PowerCordLock.jpg
  • IF the OEM plug gets as hot as with 120v, it would be wise to drill the holes out as large as you dare.
  • It's 9 1/2" round by 6 1/4" deep, so OEM's 90-degree plug might require a $15-$27 Home Depot 90-degree receptacle:
ACWorks5-20R.jpg Leviton5-20R.jpg
ACWorks ASE520R Leviton 5369-CA

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
The seat warmers are ~200 watts each. the heater is ~6000 watts.
Based on their 14A fuse, the seat warmers would appear to be no more than 84 watts each, & according to other forum members, the heater averages ~1000 watts when it's around freezing outside, after ~5 minutes of ~6000 watts to get the small cabin warm.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts