Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some shots of my new Bianco FIAT next to a Pepper white MINI so I stopped by a local MINI dealer for a little photo shoot...I've owned 3 MINIs before and while they are nice looking cars I think there is no comparison the FIAT is a much better looking car all around. It looks much more modern and has a fresher design. It looks more masculine too. Anyway...here are a few picts...enjoy

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice pics. They do emphasize one the big pluses that makes the 500 a great daily driver...I can hop in and out of the Fiat without thinking about it....getting in and out of the Mini takes quite a bit more effort for my 6' frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the proportions of the Fiat are much nicer; it's especially obvious when you have the two side-by-side. Not sure about more "masculine", but then, I'm a girl, so what could I really say about that? I do know that I never had the feeling like, "I've GOT to have one of those!" when the Mini was released the way I did when I first read about the new 500 finally coming to North America...

BTW, is that a county 18 I see on your license plate? If so, we're practically neighbors, as I'm in county 67. I'll keep my eye out for you! ;)

Michele

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Nice pics. They do emphasize one the big pluses that makes the 500 a great daily driver...I can hop in and out of the Fiat without thinking about it....getting in and out of the Mini takes quite a bit more effort for my 6' frame.
I agree.....I thought about buying a Mini a few years ago, but getting IN and OUT of it was a PIA. at 6'2" and 250+lbs, way too much work.:(

the 500 is SOOOOO easy to get in and out of and I also like that I can see around much better while driving with it sitting up higher. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 6'2" and agree with the ease of ingress comments. But also, take a look at pic 4 and compare the windshield heights. I owned a MINI for 3 yrs. and -- even with the seat fully lowered -- I had to bend down to see overhead traffic lights. The 500 is ergonomically superior in many aspects. Take the door handles: Just pull for the 500 like a Mercedes; for the MINI people not familiar with it had to be told to "squeeze" the door handle in just the right spot. Seat belts: The 500's front belts are designed to hold the buckle up for an easy grab; the MINI had a silly sliding plastic clip that allowed the buckle to slide down behind the seat out of reach. I could go on praising the 500 for its thoughtful design, but let's just say the MINI could learn a lot from the 500.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also like mine better next to a Mini :D

About the masculinity thing: the 500 does have a cute face, but there is something about its stance that makes is look aggressive, especially around the rear with the wheels pushed so far into the corners and the cab forward design. It sort of looks like it's about to pounce on something.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nice pics- thanks for this post. It is interesting to see this side-by-side photo set. We often compare these two cars, but I've never seen them actually together, and from all angles.

The 500 really does look modern; or I think that it looks like a better modern interpretation of an historic design. Not intending this as a criticism of the mini, but I do see the 500 as a more successful design than the mini.

I also had some reservations about interior ergonomics in the Mini, which surprised me as I expected it to be a bit more... 'German'. The space and simplicity of the 500 interior will, I think, be more pleasing in 10 years.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love the 500, but I wish it wasn't so narrow... it really looks like an econobox from certain angles. A wider track and a drop would certainly help...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Fiat blows the doors off of the Mini - I was looking at a Mini Cooper and decided on the 500 - no regrets. Mini Coopers are getting overweight and need to go on a diet!

Michael
Mocha Latte

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was thinking about buying a mini a couple years ago but could not justify the price. Looking at the pics of the 500 next to the mini the mini now looks so dated. I think they better step up their game as the Fiat is going to be huge competition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts