Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working with a company in Italy to develop a big brake kit for the 500. No it's not Brembo.

I'm trying to get an idea how many would be interested, and at what price point

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm working with a company in Italy to develop a big brake kit for the 500. No it's not Brembo.

I'm trying to get an idea how many would be interested, and at what price point
How about several levels of kits instead of one huge honking size kit that no one can afford, and very few buy?

The kit I would look for would be a simple twin piston brake caliper for the front brakes, with one piston on each side of the rotor. Shouldn't be hard to find something to work, just need to make a mounting bracket that would allow it to mount to the current brake caliper bracket.

The brakes on the Fiat are already really good for an extremely light weight car that it is. Too much more, and you have overkill.

BC.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're working on 2 solutions. 1 is a 6 piston on an 11.5 inch . 2 is a 10 piston on a 12.5 rotor

The reason you'd want either kit is for performance. If you plan on tracking your car, or driving hard, you need to stop.

These kits will be priced accordingly.

Once I have more info I will post it

·
Registered
341 Posts
We're working on 2 solutions. 1 is a 6 piston on an 11.5 inch . 2 is a 10 piston on a 12.5 rotor

The reason you'd want either kit is for performance. If you plan on tracking your car, or driving hard, you need to stop.

These kits will be priced accordingly.

Once I have more info I will post it
I did track the car the other week.
Stock brakes are dang good.

6 piston kit is ridiculous.
10 piston kit is pointless.

You've gone crazy, its just that simple.

The 4 piston radially mounted brake calipers on my 2800 lbs '98 Boxster were overkill, never faded on the track, and I drove that car **** hard. Why you think a Fiat 500 needs 6 or 10 piston calipers is beyond me.

BC.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did track the car the other week.
Stock brakes are dang good.

6 piston kit is ridiculous.
10 piston kit is pointless.

You've gone crazy, its just that simple.

The 4 piston radially mounted brake calipers on my 2800 lbs '98 Boxster were overkill, never faded on the track, and I drove that car **** hard. Why you think a Fiat 500 needs 6 or 10 piston calipers is beyond me.

BC.
It could be overkill. It is also what is being put on the European version of the 500. So it's been proven to work

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm pretty sure the stock brakes on the euro abarth arent much bigger than the stock 500's but I could be wrong.
For a 2300 lb car I don't see anyone actually needing a big brake kit unless they are putting down a lot of power and are using it as a track car.
I would however buy an aftermarket brake kit for looks since they really do make the wheels pop

·
Registered
25 Posts
6 AND 10 piston caliper NOTHING NEW OR CRAZY

Nothing new here, we are offiial importers for TAROX BRAKING SYSTEMS for years and yes they are awsome brakes and yes they are at the extreme high end of brake conversions starting at about $1900 US and up but most people opt for a simple brake rotor and pad conversion ie slotted cross drilled etc. as that is more than enough for most street use applihcations.
OVERKILL?
A lot of our customers think so,we have done these conversions on the old FIAT 124 spiders too and the result is great and in fact is worth more than most of those particular cars . BUT the improvement is dramatic.

I would be interested in the make of your kit and if it is homologated?

I

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also having 17s to clear the brakes could get interesting come winter time....
We have a couple of different disk sizes available, our entry level kit uses a 284mm disk and will work with the standard 15 inch wheels, and is still a lot of brakes for daily use and is the cheapest TAROX upgrade We also have the bigger 319 mm floating rotors ( 2 piece rotors) that will need wheel upgrades.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.