Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i'm guessing the 500 especially the Sport can't accommodate rear hatch racks such as the Saris "Bones" and the similar design by Yakima and thule due to the roof spoiler?
So, is the only option to a 500 Sport with sunroof is the Hitch rack?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you even want a roof or hatch rack? Hitch is the only way to go.
Its just too bulky which would take alota room in the apartment when im not using it and looks heavy as well. the composite hatch racks much lighter and more compact.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
There are lighter weight hitch bike racks available. I bought a highway grade Road Gear model, in 2000. Still use it. It holds 2 bikes. Only issue the bikes will sway in high winds, compared to the one post above. The Road Gear model I bought, will stand up in a corner of a closet. Fold up, great for hatch back vehicles.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Here's what it looks like on the back of our Honda Fit. Don't have a receiver hitch on the Fiat yet. Use to use on the back of my Grand Cherokee too. Been on many long trip using it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't put a hatch bike rack. Is an awful fit and the weight will bend the metal on the hatch. Like the other guys said...hitch is the way to go. 1st the hit h doesn't look stupid on the Fiat and there are many racks that are light and inexpensive. I use a Swagman XC-2. Is light and it folds for storage. $130 on eBay.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Its just too bulky which would take alota room in the apartment when im not using it and looks heavy as well. the composite hatch racks much lighter and more compact.
I guess you didn't look up this rack. When removed it folds up up to 1ft x 2.5ft x 7 inch. It is made from aircraft aluminum. Google it and you will see... Every other option is Mickey Mouse. I challenge you to make any argument for any other option once you have actually taken a look at it. The only valid objection is total cost. Cost of hitch + install + rack = $$$

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the hitch mounted bike rack and it works great on my 500C Lounge. When not in use it folds up neatly and takes up very little room. Love the fact that it will fold down away from the car when mounted and allow for access to the trunk. Drove on the Florida turnpike with two mountain bikes and it performed like a champ - the anti-sway options really keeps the bikes in place. I would get the hitch and rack setup as it will keep your bikes stable and safe and gives you great access.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess you didn't look up this rack. When removed it folds up up to 1ft x 2.5ft x 7 inch. It is made from aircraft aluminum. Google it and you will see... Every other option is Mickey Mouse. I challenge you to make any argument for any other option once you have actually taken a look at it. The only valid objection is total cost. Cost of hitch + install + rack = $$$
Thanks guys, i guess i need to do a little more research and maybe stop by a couple of bike stores to get a real feel for it.
Mean while if anyone else has experience with more hitch racks please feel free to post the model #.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the hitch mounted bike rack and it works great on my 500C Lounge. When not in use it folds up neatly and takes up very little room. Love the fact that it will fold down away from the car when mounted and allow for access to the trunk. Drove on the Florida turnpike with two mountain bikes and it performed like a champ - the anti-sway options really keeps the bikes in place. I would get the hitch and rack setup as it will keep your bikes stable and safe and gives you great access.
what model rack?

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's a nice rack! Do they make one that holds 2 bikes? Hows it do for a road bike with skinny tires. Mountain bikes tire fit prefect. Like the way it folds up.:)
The rails are modular. You can install 2nd rail in 30 seconds. I only use/install the second rail when the wife rides w/me. Up to 3 rails. Each additional rail $199. It works perfect with every bike I own 29", 700c road bike, 2.3 tire 26" mountain, beach cruisers, and my 20" and 24" bmx bikes. If you are a serious biker... there is nothing that even come close to this rack. I never take it off. I ride/race 6 days a week and love it. If this rack was not available... I would not have bought this car. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts