Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had trouble with the blind spot caused by the driver's side door piller? If so, how are you dealing with it? I've never fully trusted my miror.

Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

For the most part, I've played around a little with all the mirrors and also make sure to check the center rear view mittor, the side rear view mirror, and then do a bit of an exaggerated over the shoulder look to double check before making any lane changes to that side.

Pat

·
Registered
433 Posts
a day after I bought my 500 I cut off an m3 that was riding in my blind spot. in true bmw owner fashion, he got in the slow lane, yelled obscenities, and tried to speed away... except we were in bumper to bumper traffic and he wasn't going anywhere. I attempted to show him how wide the B pillar is but this was beyond his understanding, and my efforts to communicate were met with nothing but profanity. I let him know if he wanted to be a tough guy we could pull over and he suddenly lost the ability to make eye contact or even look in my direction. I have adjusted my mirrors since =P

·
Registered
765 Posts
like so

the stock thing is not useful...so a little modification is in order :)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
my sport came stock with the split mirror which resolves the drivers blind spot. removing headrests helps with the passenger side but i've become a dedicated shoulder checker nonetheless.

go lions

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've found the blind spot mirror to be quite helpful. It took me a little while to get used to it, and I still take a peek right next to me most of the time just to make sure, but I've found it to be fairly reliable as far as telling me if someone is in the lane right next to me in my blind spot.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So many people set there side mirrors where they can see their door panels. I never understood this, theres no reason you need to see your own car in the mirror. My side mirrors are set farther out and basically into the "blind spot" area. I can see any car on the left or right side in my rear view mirror, side mirror or combination of the two.

The split mirror on the driver side works well too I find, makes for faster checking if someone is there. I also never do the "over the shoulder" check, the most I go is looking at my side mirrors and whatever I see peripherally beyond that.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
So many people set there side mirrors where they can see their door panels. I never understood this, theres no reason you need to see your own car in the mirror. My side mirrors are set farther out and basically into the "blind spot" area. I can see any car on the left or right side in my rear view mirror, side mirror or combination of the two.

The split mirror on the driver side works well too I find, makes for faster checking if someone is there. I also never do the "over the shoulder" check, the most I go is looking at my side mirrors and whatever I see peripherally beyond that.

About the same here, push the mirrors outward, I know where my car is so I don't need to see it reflected back at me, just those around me! :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agrees with the last few posters, I adjust my mirrors in the street, park on side of road and my mirror shows the next lane, and the split mirror the curbe lane on other side, beside remember they told you, check once when you have intention, then check again before you start your change of lane procedure... (smiles)

I am always aware of cars around me, why? , well eyes never stay posed in front, they rotate between mirors all the time. put your **** cell phone dow, stop texting (grin) and drive your car the way it was supposed to be drive... by a driver.

yeah yeah it sounds like a personal rant, its not... easy there cowboy!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Since the car comes with massive mirrors you can eliminate to blind spot. Even without the little concave one

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Driver side has a really bad blind spot. It reminds of the All-state mayhem commercials. I've all most wipe out my little car a couple times. I just look way over, when changing lanes to the left. Got my outside mirror adjusted better. I hate that little close up mirror. Worthless. Just have to be really careful when changing lanes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yep, push the mirrors out farther. I can easily track a car from behind me with the rear mirror, to the side mirror when it changes lanes, and into my field of vision as it passes me. It's always in two of the three until it passes.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
19,000 miles, no problems yet. :)

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
When I took driver's education, we were taught there is always a blind spot. You can fill that in less than a second with a quick glance. Done correctly, your neck or chin should not move hardly a fraction of an inch. If you can't learn how to do that, maybe you want to get one of these:

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
When I took driver's education, we were taught there is always a blind spot. You can fill that in less than a second with a quick glance. Done correctly, your neck or chin should not move hardly a fraction of an inch. If you can't learn how to do that, maybe you want to get one of these:

One of what? :confused:

I feel the blind spot eliminator on the 500 does just that for me, I'm happy with it being there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Blind spot

I have a bigger problem with the A pillar blind spot.I have one road I drive on daily that has a long sweeping left curve.In the A pillar you can loose a 40 mule team and a school bus.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have a bigger problem with the A pillar blind spot.I have one road I drive on daily that has a long sweeping left curve.In the A pillar you can loose a 40 mule team and a school bus.

Agreed it is an obstacle to look around, wanna make it worse? Add some vent visors, they are smoked so you can see through them but combined with the A pillar they do add to the blocking of your sight a little.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
I feel the Tom-tom navigation, in the way too. Wish it could have been more centered in the dash board. AC vent in the way for that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts