Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2nd Gen iPhone SE paired for phone calls, but when I plug it into the glove compartment USB socket it just mutes the sound on the iPhone. Doesn't play through the speakers. Is there a compatability issues with the new phones?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,004 Posts
My phone charges faster from a USB adapter in the 12V socket, so I plug mine in there, & bluetooth works fine for calls & text-to-voice.

For music I got a male-male aux cable at the 99-cent store that goes from the phone to the glovebox aux input.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,004 Posts
Right. Male-male 3.5mm cable from the phone's headset socket to the glovebox aux input. NOT to the glovebox USB. That USB is where I leave a flashdrive full of music.

Bluetooth always works for the car's speakerphone & text-to-voice, as long as the phone's bluetooth is on & in range when I turn on the car.

If I want to listen to Youtube I plug into the glovebox aux. That should also work to play music that's saved on a phone, if that's what you're trying to do.

If I need the phone to charge, I plug into the USB adapter in the 12V socket.

If I want to do both, I plug in both cords, & bluetooth still works for calls/texts. It may sound cumbersome but it really isn't, since both cords stay plugged into the car. I just plug one or other or both into the phone if & when I want.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right. Male-male 3.5mm cable from the phone's headset socket to the glovebox aux input.
No 3.5 socket on this iPhone, though I see they make a Lightning to 3.5 cable now. Could try that I suppose. Not sure how it would affect sound quality. I've seen others just plugging their phones into the USB and having it play through the sound system from there, but maybe that's only compatible with older phones. The phone is paired for making calls, just not music.

All I have to do now is practice my yankee drawl so the VR recognizes what I'm saying :) Unless Blue and me is like Siri and learns as you go along? Do you know where the mic location is? Maybe if I spoke directly into it that might help...

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,004 Posts
Oh, right, newer iPhones lack the socket, so headset output requires an adapter. & if there aren't any with a splitter then you can't charge at the same time like me (EDIT: See next post). Sound quality with mine is perfect.

Onboard mic is by the dome light, but mine recognizes my voice perfectly. Better than Google or my friend's 2019 "car of the year".

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,004 Posts
CORRECTION: You should be able to use the headset output AND charge at the same time, with a $15 cordless charge pad.

That could plug into USB or into an adapter in the 12V socket.

Again, it sounds more cumbersome than it really is: The chargepad & headset cord stay plugged into the car. Just put the phone on the pad if you want it to charge, & plug into the phone's socket for tunes (or both to do both, & bluetooth still works for speakerphone & text-to-voice).

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
The music sound Quality is much better through USB. Then though AUX. Later
500’s ICE, and EV, are able to Blue tooth music though the sound system. IPhone pro 13.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for reminding me that I use the classic AUX sound quality maximizer:
Set the phone at full volume, & use the car's control to adjust the level.
The plot thickens. I got my wife to plug her iPhone 6 into the USB. She turned the FIAT on, pressed power and then Media on the unit. Low and behold it displayed 'USB device' and played her music no problem. Did the same thing with my son's iPhone 7. It also worked perfectly when my other son plugged his phone in...and he has the same model as mine, a 2nd Gen SE. Then I tried my old iPhone 4s, but it wouldn't work either.

The only thing I can think of that's different is that both my new and old phones have at one time been paired to Blue and Me, whereas my wife and sons' never have been. I can't think why this would affect a USB connection, but I deleted and unpaired both my phones anyway. But they still don't work :-( Both phones recognize they are connected via USB to some kind of dock, but the FIAT won't play my music.

I'm starting to take it personally!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should've paid more attention to the desk on IT Crowd, 'Have you tried turning it off and on again?'

Powered my phone completely down after unpairing, then powered back up again and plugged it in to the FIAT. I swear I did nothing else, but it worked. And to think I used to be a techie....

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,004 Posts
Even without voice recognition, bluetooth works very well for safer hands-free:
  • Answering calls (steering wheel button)
  • Talking (sound through car, not phone)
  • Calling out (steering wheel buttons, & contacts displayed on instrument screen)
  • Text-to-voice (reads incoming texts out loud)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even without voice recognition, bluetooth works very well for safer hands-free:
  • Answering calls (steering wheel button)
  • Talking (sound through car, not phone)
  • Calling out (steering wheel buttons, & contacts displayed on instrument screen)
  • Text-to-voice (reads incoming texts out loud)
That's OK, nobody calls me anyway and I don't do text :)

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,004 Posts
You could test your theory, by loading your music on a flash drive like I did, & plugging THAT into the glovebox USB.

No need to really "give up" though, since the adapter cord you mentioned above should work fine from your iPhone to the AUX input, like it does for me, & you should still be able to charge while playing music from your phone, by using a $15 cordless chargepad.

& you could pair the Bluetooth & still use all those functions at the same time as music & charging.

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
I have a iPod nano, with my music on it. Plugged into the USB. In the glove box. No longer on the device. I can’t subtract music on it cause. Apple, has updated iTunes serval times. It work for now. It keeps the iPod charged too. USB, sound Quality is superior to aux. I can control my music selection, from the toggle controls. Behind the steering wheels. The Steering wheel voice control. With allow me to pause the music. Play etc. My Tom Tom, has the ability Bluetooth, to control the music on the iPod. None of those feature are available using the AUX port. Have used the iPod in my 500, for 11years now.

Ipod Mp3 player Gas Electric blue Circle

Product Gps navigation device Gadget Font Display device

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a iPod nano, with my music on it. Plugged into the USB. In the glove box. No longer on the device. I can’t subtract music on it cause. Apple, has updated iTunes serval times. It work for now. It keeps the iPod charged too. USB, sound Quality is superior to aux. I can control my music selection, from the toggle controls. Behind the steering wheels. The Steering wheel voice control. With allow me to pause the music. Play etc. My Tom Tom, has the ability Bluetooth, to control the music on the iPod. None of those feature are available using the AUX port. Have used the iPod in my 500, for 11years now.
Given that the USB port enables music on all other phones I've tried except mine (other than briefly), I expect it's more to do with my iCloud account than anything. Somehow my settings or libraries are corrupting the USB transfer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts