Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a brand new Automatic Fiat 500 Sport today and love it, but I have 2 questions. 1: When I am close to stopping or at a full stop it feels like the car is downshifting, is this normal? 2: I notice that when in reverse the engine seems to rumble a bit more than any other gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi, I just bought a brand new Automatic Fiat 500 Sport today and love it, but I have 2 questions. 1: When I am close to stopping or at a full stop it feels like the car is downshifting, is this normal? 2: I notice that when in reverse the engine seems to rumble a bit more than any other gear. Thanks.
While I don't have an automatic, I can tell you from the automatic transmission cars I've owned in the past, as you slow down the transmission does downshift so if you should accelerate, or stop, it will be in the correct gear to do so.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I have an auto Sport too, the auto tranny does a lot of shifting up and down( which is to be expected as SD mentioned), not sure exactly what you are seeing here but it may just be that constant shifting you are experiencing, I don't feel anything is worrisome with mine in Auto or AutoStick mode, as for reverse, haven't really noticed anything there that has given me reason for concern either. If it bothers or concerns you too badly please take it to your studio and have them look into the matter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums! I have an auto Sport too, the auto tranny does a lot of shifting up and down( which is to be expected as SD mentioned), not sure exactly what you are seeing here but it may just be that constant shifting you are experiencing, I don't feel anything is worrisome with mine in Auto or AutoStick mode, as for reverse, haven't really noticed anything there that has given me reason for concern either. If it bothers or concerns you too badly please take it to your studio and have them look into the matter.

Thanks. As far as the downshifting is concerned, i can only feel it when im about to fully stop. I really don't know how to describe it.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I can't tell from the longer video, sorry :[ Maybe the car just needs a break in?
I wasn't sure if it would help, sorry it didn't. I have some medical related appts that'll keep me from driving for a few days at least but I'll be glad to pay closer attention to the startup and reverse with my Sport and report back later this week if someone hasn't already replied or you haven't figured out anything some other way.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Are you driving with Sport Mode on? You will feel the downshift in Sport mode but not when Sport mode is off. I do not drive around town in Sport mode because it has the "hard" downshift. Just a thought

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
962 Posts
The car needs to be 'programmed' to learn how you drive. It will shift better and better as you drive it. Just drive it as normal and it will learn your way of driving.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Maybe it's just my OCD or me paying way too much attention to everything because I had 2 family members drive it and they couldn't feel what I was talking about, and the car didn't rough idle in reverse. The only thing one said was they could feel the transmission changing from when selecting to reverse and drive. I'll keep an eye on it, but for now I'm just gonna enjoy my new car! So much fun to drive!

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
The automatic, has 6 speeds. There isn't any fuzzy logic on this transmission, or leaning stage. There is a lot shift going on all the time. Very smooth shifting, I might say. Try the sport mode, there's even a different shifting pattern. I notice too when backing out the engine sounds, a little different too. Just the gearing. Got over 5,000k on my sport. What the OP talks about is pretty normal. Just drive your car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My auto was pretty wonky for the first 1000 or so miles. It smooths out.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
While I don't have an automatic, I can tell you from the automatic transmission cars I've owned in the past, as you slow down the transmission does downshift so if you should accelerate, or stop, it will be in the correct gear to do so.
SeaDawg:

I agree.... Couldnt have said it better myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts