Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

For those of you who already have their 500s, can anyone comment whether there is a break-in period for the car, something along the lines of keeping the speed down for the first X miles, things like that?

Anxiously Awaiting (my 500),

Ryan

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I haven't taken mine over 60 mph or 3000 rpm yet. Also you want to avoid sharply stomping the brakes. I'm considering an early oil change, may even do it myself, and leave the filter on. But so far the oil looks like Mazola, it is perfectly clear. Part of the break-in would be to see some metal wear off into the oil, which an engine does constantly anyway.

In general, they say that a variety of driving conditions is the best way to break in a new car. In other words, if the break-in period was 2000 miles you wouldn't want to just set the cruise control and drive cross-country. I followed a break-in period on my Chevy Aveo, which is a cheaper car, and haven't had a major problem since 2005/85k miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you google "new car break in" you'll get lots of hits. The consensus seems to be, as mentioned above, doing lots of shifting and various speeds initially. One site really emphasises the first 20 miles where you have to be especially careful not to over rev and again, lots of shifting/speed changes. Jury is out on the oil change with some saying change early and others say just stick with manufacturere's recommendations.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Is there anything in the owner's manual about it, anything specifically from FIAT?

For most previous cars I've owned, the manufacturer listed specific guidelines for break-in; things like, don't drive over Xmph for the first 200 miles, change oil after 300 miles, etc.

Ryan

·
Registered
176 Posts
Best way to break in an engine: run it HARD from the very beginning!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

OK, maybe not. This is a touchy subject and even I have some doubts about this method but that write-up does make a convincing argument so I'm throwing it in here FYI. My break-ins are somewhere in the middle of the manual's instructions and Motoman's break-in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Best way to break in an engine: run it HARD from the very beginning!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

OK, maybe not. This is a touchy subject and even I have some doubts about this method but that write-up does make a convincing argument so I'm throwing it in here FYI. My break-ins are somewhere in the middle of the manual's instructions and Motoman's break-in.

There is no set break in reccomendations. Actually todays modern engines do not necessarily need to be broken in.

Some say to run it hard so the piston scours the cylinder walls faster. Running it at 3000 RPM's might actually be detrimental as you are 'coaching' a new engine to not be able to handle high RPM's.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Even if engineers could convince marketing to put break-in advice in the owner's manual, this would put the car at a competitive disadvantage. Personally I do not believe that engine manufacture has made the same kind of progress as for example tires have. Engines are generally more advanced in design, but what has been done to make engines improve in this specific concern?

Mazda attempted to create a rotary engine that had very few moving parts. But the tips of the rotor seals were a single point of failure, and it did. Engines and cars in general still have many many moving parts. They are subject to many different kinds of stresses, heating/cooling, and friction/wear issues. I wish somebody could point me to information showing how all these possible interactions have been improved to a degree that a new engine/automobile has no special break-in requirements whatsoever.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Here's what I was looking for, straight from the owner's manual:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS​
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

Ryan​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts