Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was the first time I've driven Abby the Abarth at night, plus some rain and she was great! But I did notice that when you engage the brights there is a loud clunk...I'd like to think thats normal...is it?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes, it is normal. Search for this topic; the 500 has a small shield that moves to change from 'low' to 'high' beam. Basically, the intensity of the light remains constant but the cutoff changes.

Ok, that's all I know. Some mechanical thingy leaps about... ask around. I really have no idea. But something does move, and it clunks. I like it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
This is normal on ALL of our cars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep I noticed that the first time I drove at night. Tested the hi-beams before I left to make sure I knew how to do it. Flip the lever forward and *CLUNK!*

Lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Clicking while flashing brights!?!

So I noticed tonight while flashing my brights to say hi to a family member, there was a loud clicking noise and a weird thumping i could feel on the floor. Does it do this for anyone else and should I take it to my studio?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
So I noticed tonight while flashing my brights to say hi to a family member, there was a loud clicking noise and a weird thumping i could feel on the floor. Does it do this for anyone else and should I take it to my studio?
This is entirely normal. The projector headlamps do NOT have a seperate filament for high and low beams. They use a single filament halogen bulb and a mechanical 'shutter' to cut off the top of the beam to provide the 'low beam' and the clunk you hear is the shutter either moving out of the way so the full brightness or the lamp 'high beam' can pass through or moving back into place to go back to 'low beam'.

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
Normal. This needs to be added to a older tread on this topic, from last year.

Can one of the Mods place this.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
color me surprised there would be a mechanical shutter vs (more standard?) active bulb switch - what is the advantage?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The headlights are projectors. So you can't use the typical second filament that is slightly offset. The second filament would not be in the focal point of the projector, so the light pattern would be useless.

Think of looking though a telescope. Then moving your eye left or right or up or down. What do you see?
\

·
Registered
194 Posts
i was just about to ask this question, it gets annoying when you are trying flash someone, and you keep hearing that clunking noise... thanks 4 the help ppl

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm now having the same issue. To me its unacceptable. I should not hear a clunk from my headlight in the cab of my car when switching to high beams. Is this just a design flaw with the 500? Will the studio do anything if I take it in?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm now having the same issue. To me its unacceptable. I should not hear a clunk from my headlight in the cab of my car when switching to high beams. Is this just a design flaw with the 500? Will the studio do anything if I take it in?
Our cars have bi-level projector headlamps, and yes, they will make a mechanical "clunk" like every other vehicle that has these does. The Ford F150 with bi-xenon headlights clunks just like a Lexus with bi-halogen or bi-xenon headlamps does just as our Fiats do.

Hopefully you can learn to ignore it, because bi-level projectors are basically the best lighting technology outside of very expensive multi-element LED headlights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info. The studio in Downtown Orlando was able to pretty much tell me the same thing. To my surprise they even offered to replace my headlights for free to make me feel better. But ill be swapping out to HIDs shortly so it might be pointless. But still the offer made me feel better about the service department.

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
While driving on the highway, you really can't hear the sound. Only when sitting on the driveway, parked. One headlamp, a shutter changes, from low beam to high. Just the nature, of the beast.

Wow is this is a old post.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Thanks for the info. The studio in Downtown Orlando was able to pretty much tell me the same thing. To my surprise they even offered to replace my headlights for free to make me feel better. But ill be swapping out to HIDs shortly so it might be pointless. But still the offer made me feel better about the service department.
HID or not the clunk will always remain. As I jokingly (but sort of seriously) stated above...just turn the radio volume up! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts