Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I could use some advice on repairing my charging plug. The little spring loaded clip plug broke off. Apparently this triggers a switch inside the car's charging port, so my 500e will no longer charge. It is an Aerovironment unit and they are out of the charger business so I can't get a replacement from them.

Does anyone know if I can buy an aftermarket plug do a DIY replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
J1772 replacement plugs are readily available if you search around (Amazon, eBay, Google, etc). They seem to be sold only as complete plugs, not individual parts.

I'm curious however, that since the actual part that broke off is only a plastic hook, does the rest of the spring loaded button lever still move freely and operate normally? If you go through the motion of press the button, insert the plug completely, and release the button, does it still not charge? I feel there must be a way to make the charger think that everything is working normally.

Here's a document that describes what happens electrically with the button (look at the pages labeled "J1772 Proximity"):

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not sure how to repair that but you could try a J1772 Extension Cable... there's a few brands on Amazon. Lowest I see is about $132. The extension just clips onto the end of your existing plug and you plug the extension into your car.

Usually I recommend the JLong cables sold in California (link) but at the moment they are sold out. On mine the lever only clips the male and female receptacles together on a top notch... it's not required for operation since it's a tight fit and there are additional levers on the sides that clamp around the edges so it's still locked in-place.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I suppose I could splice this onto the end of my cable. I'm not much of an electrician though. Is it possible to fry my car if I screw up?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J1772 Extension Cable
J1772 replacement plugs are readily available if you search around (Amazon, eBay, Google, etc). They seem to be sold only as complete plugs, not individual parts.

I'm curious however, that since the actual part that broke off is only a plastic hook, does the rest of the spring loaded button lever still move freely and operate normally? If you go through the motion of press the button, insert the plug completely, and release the button, does it still not charge? I feel there must be a way to make the charger think that everything is working normally.

Here's a document that describes what happens electrically with the button (look at the pages labeled "J1772 Proximity"):

>I'm curious however, that since the actual part that broke off is only a plastic hook, does the rest of the spring loaded button lever still move freely and operate normally?
Yes it moves just fine. The only problem is that the L-shaped end part sheared off. I have the piece and could try to re-attach with glue. But what if it breaks off inside the charging port?

>If you go through the motion of press the button, insert the plug completely, and release the button, does it still not charge? I
Thanks I tried this.

>I feel there must be a way to make the charger think that everything is working normally.
I know right? Gotta be.

·
Registered
549 Posts
What you want to do is try to duplicate what happens at the button on a working plug. Perhaps the button shouldn't be fully released with the plug inserted? The button on your Aerovironment plug seems a different design from most others and I can't compare what happens with mine.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
I think you got worn out pins or something I too have used busted up public chargers with missing hook and still charged fine.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
What you want to do is try to duplicate what happens at the button on a working plug. Perhaps the button shouldn't be fully released with the plug inserted? The button on your Aerovironment plug seems a different design from most others and I can't compare what happens with mine.
Actually the only time I pressed that button was to unhook, usually plugging in I just slide it in and it automatically locks into place.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Actually the only time I pressed that button was to unhook, usually plugging in I just slide it in and it automatically locks into place.
The question is after plugging in, what is the normal resting position of the button. Is the button fully up or does the plastic piece that broke off cause a displacement that slightly depresses the spring.

Good call about checking the pins. Whatever misalignment that caused the plastic hook to break may have damaged a pin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks, I could use some advice on repairing my charging plug. The little spring loaded clip plug broke off. Apparently this triggers a switch inside the car's charging port, so my 500e will no longer charge. It is an Aerovironment unit and they are out of the charger business so I can't get a replacement from them.

Does anyone know if I can buy an aftermarket plug do a DIY replacement?
Yes .you will have to get creative .unless you want to replace the unit. White some patience you can hand saw from any scrap plastic around you home a copy of the old one. As long as it click the switch in the car port. I did mine out of a abs black plastic piece from home depot in the plumbing dept. Four months and still working fine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oops wrong thread

1 - 14 of 14 Posts