Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend has a 2016 fiat 500e and she dropped her charger recently and now whenever we plug it in it just gives goalposts or doesn’t charge but when we go to a charger station it charges just fine so I’m sure it’s the charger anyone know what to do or if I can fix the charger?

This is the charger she has
Adapter Adapter Gadget Ac adapter Audio equipment

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
For about $180 you can get a 16A* aftermarket replacement on Amazon. Anything with a J1772 plug is supposed to work, & I've used OEM Ford & VW cords from my friends.

I just typed "EV charger" at Amazon, & then clicked the "Electric Vehicle Charging Stations" department at the left. I've had good luck on Amazon by sorting on "avg. customer review" & then scrolling through a few pages to find less expensive units with just as many good reviews as the pricey ones.

* Even though the OEM is only 12A, it works fine, like plugging a 1A phone charger into a 15A outlet. The car limits itself to 12A.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
That said, me & at least 2 other forum members have had the OEM cord appear to reset an error that prevented charging*. So unless you have a friend with one you can use for 30 seconds, you might want to consider an exact replacement.

However those errors may have been fixed by plugging into any 120V source, or possibly fixed by other means such as a 30-second 12V disconnect, or OBD error code clearing.

* I plugged into a public cord & my car displayed something scary like "service vehicle electrical system". I drove to the next station & tried 2 plugs there with the same result, & the same at the next station. I drove home & it worked fine on my OEM cord, & also worked fine the very next time I tried each of those exact same public plugs.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
If it's just the plug she dropped, & it's cracked and you're handy with household wiring, you might be able to cut it off & replace it.

The OEM unit is sealed, so even if you're really handy at fixing electronics you'd have to cut it open first. You might want to do that anyway just out of curiosity, since you can't make it any worse than it already is.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's just the plug she dropped, & it's cracked and you're handy with household wiring, you might be able to cut it off & replace it.

The OEM unit is sealed, so even if you're really handy at fixing electronics you'd have to cut it open first. You might want to do that anyway just out of curiosity, since you can't make it any worse than it already is.
yeah for now we just Ordered a different one and I’m gonna see if that works it charges fine at ChargePoint and stuff but when we plug hers In it doesn’t give it a charge makes the clicking sound but does nothing and the box on the charger isn’t blinking red so I think it’s getting enough juice

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
So:
  • The plug isn't cracked.
  • The set of 4 LEDs light up green one at a time*.
  • The set of 2 LEDs both light green*.
  • The car makes the little "clunk" sound when you plug it in.
  • You get "goalposts" flashing on the dash.
All of that can also happen when the onboard charge timers default themselves to "active" mode. If you're not 100% sure how to deactivate them, just turn the key on one click before or after plugging in. That will bypass the timers.

* EDIT: Oops! it's a 2016. Lemme check if that's after they changed the OEM cord:
Product Font Communication Device Material property Gadget

Left 2013. Right 2019.

· Registered
6 Posts
I did exactly the same thing twice with the same result each time. When I dropped and cracked the original I immediately ordered a replacement from Amazon. Any evse with a J1772 handle will work just fine. The one I bought cost $175 at the time, about two years ago. It's rated at 16 amps. When I dropped the replacement I decided to try repairing it as the handle was in two halves, held together by screws. The plastic button/hook is what broke and I was able to epoxy it back together. It required a bit of filing and shaping as the glue job wasn't perfect, but after being reassembled it works fine. After my second time I decided head off a third by running the evse cable across the ceiling of the garage by hanging it on bicycle hooks and anchoring it to the hooks with cable ties. It hangs from the last hook, just above the floor, so even if I drop it I'm ok. I recently ran a 240 volt, 50 amp line to the garage, terminating at a 6-50 outlet. I use a 6-50 to 5-15 adapter to plug the same evse into and now charge from 10% to 100% in about 4 hours.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, duh! Your pic above is the same as my 2013, so if it shows the 6 LEDs as I described then it seems to be ok.
so we tried to do what you said it didnt work we ended up ordering a new charger and it worked heres what happens when we charge with her old charger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts