Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So seeing if anyone else has had this issue. Somehow my wife's 500e charging port (the orange plastic port where you plug in the charger) got broken. I kind of figure...that's annoying but let's get it fixed. It'll be what...a few hundred dollars to fix. Now after talking to one service manager he tells me to call my insurance since it's more in the range of...wait for it...$3000 dollars to repair. That's got to be one of the most expensive little orange pieces of plastic every. He claims it's part of the cable and runs all the way to the battery and...and...and.

Anyways...I wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this issue or had any other thoughts. The car still seems to charge (testing it out now...all happened while I was at a conference) but having a loose power charging port seems not good. Of course 10% of the price of the car for a piece of plastic seems not good too. I'm sure they'll hit us for it on the lease return in 31 months and counting.

Thoughts????

--Michael

·
Registered
181 Posts
Man, what a drag. I would check with a couple of other dealerships and even fiat corporate. Also there's a fiat rep on this board who may be able to help.

Even if it really is a 3K part, Fiat made a very bad design decision to combine the port with the cable. They should have realized it the risk of breakage was there and taken a different path. Maybe you can appeal to them on that basis.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So seeing if anyone else has had this issue. Somehow my wife's 500e charging port (the orange plastic port where you plug in the charger) got broken. I kind of figure...that's annoying but let's get it fixed. It'll be what...a few hundred dollars to fix. Now after talking to one service manager he tells me to call my insurance since it's more in the range of...wait for it...$3000 dollars to repair. That's got to be one of the most expensive little orange pieces of plastic every. He claims it's part of the cable and runs all the way to the battery and...and...and. Anyways...I wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this issue or had any other thoughts. The car still seems to charge (testing it out now...all happened while I was at a conference) but having a loose power charging port seems not good. Of course 10% of the price of the car for a piece of plastic seems not good too. I'm sure they'll hit us for it on the lease return in 31 months and counting. Thoughts???? --Michael
That is a lot of money. Send a pm to fiat cares, he is the rep here. I also think calling other dealers sounds good. Almost sounds like it is worth a try with a 3d printer.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I hate to rub salt in the wound, but how did this happen? I'm hoping to learn something to avoid doing, or if there seems to be a potential weakness.

I heard you have to remove the battery to change the cable.

Sorry to hear of your plight.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish I knew. Was at my wife's workplace. They have a bunch of construction going on in the back of the building where she charges her car. My guess is someone tripped on the cable or something similar. Been suggesting that she ask them to review the security video in the back...not sure if that's possible or not. Got one other dealer who also told me it's VERY EXPENSIVE to fix. That dealer said they've had a couple of people drive off with the charging cable still connected.

Anyways...does seems like a design problem to me. Something that sticks out is going to get broken at some point...and multiple $1000s seems over the top...esp if it's not something you even did yourself. Both dealers suggested I call my insurance to get it paid for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 500e will not move while plugged in, so that dealer is being less than honest...
I was wondering if the power was off to the charger whether the 500e would detect that...or if it was some sort of physical switch that determined if it was plugged in. I did mention that in response to their comment.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So, when you say it broke, do you mean the plastic cracked or that the whole orange part has broken off? And, it still charges, right? I'd leave it alone if it still functions and look into replacing it, but not bother with it until the lease is close to the end. They might not even notice. If they do, then you'll have already researched it- they have to let you try to repair it first, by law.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the concern there if if I wait then filing an insurance claim might be rougher. But yeah...is something to consider. I'll post an picture later to show what it looks like now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ouch! It's not part of warranty? I guess if you broke it yourself it's not.

I haven't tried. But I'm pretty sure just having the charger plugged in, the car will detect it and not start. The prongs making contact with the charging port will disable the car from starting. At least that's what I remember reading. I know for fact when you are charging it will not start. Ive tried starting the car when charging to run the AC. It'll turn on but not start the car completely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
broken_plug_housing.jpg broken_plug_housing_closeup.jpg

Here is what I came back to yesterday at the charging station. Thought it was odd that the plug had so much play left and right. Waiting to hear from Fiat how much this is going to set me back. Like previously mentioned, the housing and cable all the way back to the battery is one unit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Eventually this would not be an expensive repair. I say eventually because under lease there might be a reason to avoid splicing wires behind the port. An SAE J1772 jack could be purchased separately for about $100-150, and then the wires behind the OEM jack cut and spliced. Of course someone with experience in vehicle wiring and electrical work would be the right choice to do such a thing. The multiwire cable goes back the the charging module under the hood. There's nothing "space age" about the wires in the cable, and there is no voltage present on them when the vehicle is unplugged. But then there's the lease issue with modifying the vehicle, and of course any dealer is going to replace an entire assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The charging port on mine is broken too. The car has never been charged anywhere except in my driveway. Seems to me there are two issues here.
1) The plastic is too weak and breaks easily -- This seems like a design flaw or a mfr defect at some level
2) FIAT, possibly because they outsourced the whole EV piece to Bosch, didn't think through the design terribly well, so now, in order to replace a $15 piece of plastic, or $100 J1772 jack, they want a lot of money for replacing the entire harness. I was just quoted $1400 just for parts.

I've opened a case with FIAT so we'll see how it goes, but I don't expect them to cover it.
In my case, this is a leased car so I have no idea what would happen when I return it...

·
Registered
734 Posts
On my car that was totaled, I was told that any wiring issue requires replacement of the entire affected harness, that FCA will not authorize repairs to EV-related wiring in the car. The front wire harness was over $5k...

·
Registered
734 Posts
So charging at public places means that if some knucklehead yanks on your cable the wrong way...BAM...$5000.

Nice.
They could also toss a rock thru your window, or loosen your lug nuts or oil-drain plug.
That's what insurance is for, to cover things beyond your control.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts