Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd argue that the port is obviously defective and they must replace it under warranty. Take it up with Fiat Cares or their national support line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was wondering if the power was off to the charger whether the 500e would detect that...or if it was some sort of physical switch that determined if it was plugged in. I did mention that in response to their comment.
The 500e, and all EVs for that matter, know when they are plugged in, even if current is not running through the wires. (That's how your mobile app knows if your car is plugged in, but not charging.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So seeing if anyone else has had this issue. Somehow my wife's 500e charging port (the orange plastic port where you plug in the charger) got broken. I kind of figure...that's annoying but let's get it fixed. It'll be what...a few hundred dollars to fix. Now after talking to one service manager he tells me to call my insurance since it's more in the range of...wait for it...$3000 dollars to repair. That's got to be one of the most expensive little orange pieces of plastic every. He claims it's part of the cable and runs all the way to the battery and...and...and.

Anyways...I wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this issue or had any other thoughts. The car still seems to charge (testing it out now...all happened while I was at a conference) but having a loose power charging port seems not good. Of course 10% of the price of the car for a piece of plastic seems not good too. I'm sure they'll hit us for it on the lease return in 31 months and counting.

Thoughts????

--Michael
Same orange plastic broken on my wife's 500e. No, she didn't drive off with it plugged in. Are we really the only 2 in the world? I don't think so. WTF bad engineering

·
Registered
734 Posts
Car won't go into gear if it's plugged in. That part should be simplified for replacement, but FCA doesn't give a crud about long-term owner satisfaction for the 500e IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
I managed to break mine as well, and it was me not my wife our anyone else... I needed to open the passenger door while charging and I pulled to extend the chargepoint end of the cable. The Chargepoint station was broken so the rope tensioner didn't give and I ended up pulling on the chargehead instead. Not much force but that was enough to crack it. I can still charge but I guess this will be a problem when I return my lease. Any update on repairs, warranty etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anybody ever have updates on this or hear from FCA? It seems to be a relatively common issue so I'm surprised they aren't covering it under warranty. My charger port is broken and I have no idea how it happened and now I'm told it's not being covered under warranty and its a $3600 repair!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The charging port cable seems to be $560: part #68104797AH @ fiatpartswebstore.com, so I'm curious how any shop can offer the replacement for $3000...

·
Registered
539 Posts
The charging port cable seems to be $560: part #68104797AH @ fiatpartswebstore.com, so I'm curious how any shop can offer the replacement for $3000...
Most of the cost is labor. It looks like the cable runs from the back to the front of the car. A lot of the car needs to be taken apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I remembered your topic while browsing ebay

O can not post the link, but just search for :

NEW UPGRADED FIAT 500E ELECTRIC VEHICLE CAR CHARGING CHARGE PORT CONNECTOR INLET

150 usd, seems right

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ugh... I just broke mine.

Did anyone ever get this fixed? I just broke mine. I removed my charging cable with my opposite hand and must have twisted it slightly and heard a cracking noise. I can see the orange piece has fractured.

:(

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on the charging port replacement? How hard is it to replace? Just realized I will need to replace this port as well. Found one for sale on ebay a few weeks ago, but can't find it anymore. Still got 14 months left on the lease and rather not get dinged by this on return.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any updates on the charging port replacement? How hard is it to replace? Just realized I will need to replace this port as well. Found one for sale on ebay a few weeks ago, but can't find it anymore. Still got 14 months left on the lease and rather not get dinged by this on return.
Search again. The same seller has some more for sale. Would like to know if anybody has experience installing them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If the car is still under lease, you might check if it's something they'll fix in warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This happened to me too. I have no idea how it happened. I just came to unplug it one time and noticed there was a lot of play. :/

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have heard that Fiat doesn't normally cover a broken charge port under warranty because they claim it is damage caused by abuse, or something like that. However some people have been lucky and convinced a dealer to cover it under warranty. If one dealer says "no" and there is another dealer nearby, try finding a dealer that will cover it. With that said, I hear the dealer by me charges about $1,000 for replacement.

With that said, if you are just a bit handy with tools, it apparently is a relatively easy self fix. There are step-by-step instructions on the internet (a Facebook group) that shows how to replace it. A suitable replacement port is available on eBay. And you just need a few basic hand tools. Here is the Facebook posting. You will have to join the group to see it. Fiat 500e
And another post Fiat 500e

Here is the part on eBay: NEW FIAT 500E ELECTRIC VEHICLE CAR CHARGING CHARGE PORT CONNECTOR INLET UPGRADED | eBay

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
Hopefully someone will post the vid on YouTube.

I have no idea how it happened. I just came to unplug it..
Unfortunately, all that needs to happen is someone walking by bumping into it. Good motivation for home charging, but otherwise I try to park so close that nobody's even tempted to squeeze past.

I also rarely leave my car unattended, but now realize that probably wouldn't help. "Screw you! I barely touched it! Not my fault your car is so delicate!"

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
Someone should make a super-low-profile plug*, with a short flexible cable, & a socket to insert the plug in, makng it all virtually unbreakable.

*so low-profile that the filler door can be almost shut, because it too is easily broken.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have heard that Fiat doesn't normally cover a broken charge port under warranty because they claim it is damage caused by abuse, or something like that. However some people have been lucky and convinced a dealer to cover it under warranty. If one dealer says "no" and there is another dealer nearby, try finding a dealer that will cover it. With that said, I hear the dealer by me charges about $1,000 for replacement.

With that said, if you are just a bit handy with tools, it apparently is a relatively easy self fix. There are step-by-step instructions on the internet (a Facebook group) that shows how to replace it. A suitable replacement port is available on eBay. And you just need a few basic hand tools. Here is the Facebook posting. You will have to join the group to see it. Fiat 500e
And another post Fiat 500e

Here is the part on eBay: NEW FIAT 500E ELECTRIC VEHICLE CAR CHARGING CHARGE PORT CONNECTOR INLET UPGRADED | eBay
I don't use Facebook. How complicated are we talking here? Is this unscrew some stuff and screw it back together, or do I need some kind of crimper for it? Do I have to pull panels off the car, or is it really as easy as a tire (20 minutes for me) or replacing the tail light (about five minutes for me)?

I'm pretty sure mine was broken when I got it, but that it was epoxied back together, which seems to have been fine so far. Seems like it would be a good idea to actually replace it with a more solid piece at some point.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts