Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's a relatively simple job. I think you have to remove the rear wheel to get at the wheel well. Remove the port from the wheel well, pull the pins out of the broken port and insert them into the new unit.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
My question is why does that four dollar piece of plastic cost $130 someone’s grossly gouging

·
Registered
165 Posts
Aptiv (formerly Delphi)
Two parts are required. 13829165 (connector) and 13826277-B (lock retainer)
Parts are on mouser.com. However they look to be backordered.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
I wonder if someone can mold one with dry carbon fiber, then I’ll gladly pay $130 for it lol.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
Or for that price you'd think it could be cast aluminum or CNC stainless with little plastic inserts for insulation.

Then when someone bumps it the charge PLUG (handle? nozzle?) would break. :rolleyes:

So I still like my damage-prevention idea in post #39 (but maybe even better with a 90-degree plug).

HOWEVER if that wasnt cheap, & mine broke or was even at much risk I'd be tempted to try relocating it. Maybe pull the cable back through to under the hood, or maybe a hole for the cable & put the socket on the INSIDE of the hatch, although that might require notching the rubber hatch seal for the cord. It already easily closes 1 click & locks on the stock cord but publics are thicker.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wish it was a nearly Unbreakable locking port like Tesla.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
A locking port might be a nice option to be able to switch on when wanted, but if it doesn't unlock when done* it might piss someone off enough to get a bit too rough & accidentally break it. Some plugs can be locked with a tiny padlock through a hole in the release button. You might be able to carry a cordless drill to "fix" public chargers that don't have a hole yet.

Relocating it or adding a flex-cord would be nearly unbreakable. How does Tesla accomplish that?

* like eGolf is supposed to do but rarely does at public chargers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think it is kind of ironic that people p*ss and moan about a $150 replacement part that they can replace themselves (when it can be >$1,000 from the dealership, yet those same people will pour money down the drain on trying all kinds of LED replacement lights on something that does not even need fixing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think it is kind of ironic that people p*ss and moan about a $150 replacement part that they can replace themselves (when it can be >$1,000 from the dealership, yet those same people will pour money down the drain on trying all kinds of LED replacement lights on something that does not even need fixing. :rolleyes:
Well I’m sure that was directed at me since I was in a thread with led FYI no one needs this car either yet here we are with the same car. I’m all about value if I can replace a burned out incandescent bulb with a brighter led that will last 10x longer for similar price why not? If you replace most bulb on this car you kinda want to do it just once it’s a pain in the a$$. My 2017 with just 22k has 3 of the 4 side markers that are burned out and a brake light that is smoky black so I’m sure it’s close to burned out I’m just going around replacing them with LED so I won’t have to again. It’s not like I bought a brand new car and decided to take all the bulbs out and replace em mine actually do but I want to do it just once.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How does Tesla accomplish that?
For one it locks, second it does not stick out of the body it’s inverted in design and not sure how they do it but I’ve seen videos of people trying to kick it and break it in security cam videos and they weren’t able to I was astonished.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
It makes sense that the plug might be flexible to resist kicking, but I don't understand any of the rest: How would locking make it less breakable? Inverted? Doesn't stick out? Every Tesla I've seen at public chargers sticks out MORE than ours, since their mandatory adapter protrudes from the body while our socket is slightly indented. Even the Tesla-specific plug sticks way out, as shown here:
Tesla Charging.jpg

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
I guess it doesn't really matter. Ours is weak. Someone should make a cheap plug-in fix in the form of a 90-degree plug (onto which the flap can nearly close) with a short cord to a socket you plug the charge-cord into.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Instead of 3D printing the replacement socket, I think I can design a 3D printed device to help secure the charge plug while charging. I think most of the damage is slowly done over time when the car is parked too far from the charge station or the cord is too short. I always try to make sure there is as little tension on the cable as possible.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
Same here, parking backwards at retractable cables, but in my experience this type of plastic breakage is usually one-time overload.

Possibly crazy new FREE idea to prevent breakage: Slice some hose to go on the stock onboard cable &/or the edge of the metal's hole. Remove the socket as shown, feed the cable thru the hole & put the socket on the outside.

Then when you plug in it just hangs straight down & you could probably even nearly close the flap, so nobody can run into that either.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts