Fiat 500 Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've always thought EV plug handles are a bit of a strange design. Great grip for the human hand, kind of like a gas pump handle, but not so great mechanically due to stress on the connectors. With the handle so long, it is like a lever and creates a lot of downward force just from the weight of the attached cable. Yeah, something like a downward right angle would be better. Also would be nice if the entire handle was rubber coated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had updates on this. I have this same issue, I've purchased a replacement charging port wire harness. I'd like to find either a local shop to install or if that's not possible anyone else in Southern California want to look at documenting the process so other owners can see the solution? I'm assuming having a lift would make things much easier to work on. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
Are we having a 500e meet? Lol

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
No I have not, but it doesn't look that bad.
If you’re replacing just the charge port excluding the cable it’s not that bad of a job however it does not look factory the bolts don’t lineup to where the factory one is and it kind of looks half a$$. You talking about the whole factory cable with the orange HV cables that’s gonna be a job you don’t wanna do it’s a heII of a lot of work.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Part about the fiat design that worries me is you’re like one tire blowout away from severing thousands of dollars worth of cable, it runs in the wheel well with just a plastic shield covering it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
I wouldn't worry much. Blowouts are uncommon & don't even always cause additional damage. We're also running tires rated for 152% of our max speed, & the rear tires by those cables are also running significantly below their rated load.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wouldn't worry much. Blowouts are uncommon & don't even always cause additional damage. We're also running tires rated for 152% of our max speed, & the rear tires by those cables are also running significantly below their rated load.
The thing is blowouts don’t really happen from just over capacity or over speeding they happen pretty randomly especially amongst cheap tires. It could also simply happen from under inflated or over inflated tires as well as well as pooly constructed tires or tires that are old age with brittle rubber.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts