Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first time joining and posting in a community like this, so please bear with me. I recently purchased a 2015 500 Abarth with 55K miles on it. I've only owned it for about two weeks now, and it's not my daily driver.

I was looking around under it today to see how everything looked, and I noticed that a piece of slotted metal was hanging down back near the rear passenger tire. It was not like this when I purchased it, so I am assuming it's happened since I bought it. The dealership even had the car driven to my house (about an hour drive) after the purchase, so it could have happened then. It looks like it's riveted to the underbody in maybe three places, but on mine, two of them are snapped off and all that remains holding it up is a single plastic pin and rivet thing. There's an identical metal piece on the driver's side of the car as well, but I can't tell exactly what these are, and I can't find any good underbody diagrams for the 500.

I am attaching a picture of the hanging metal piece. I've got to take the car in for a state inspection, and I would love to know what is happening here before I take it in.

Thanks for your time and help!
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.

I think I've figured out that it's a skid plate. Now I just need to figure out how to fix it. I don't know what to do about those snapped rivet things.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yes, fuel tank protection. It is riveted on and any remaining can be drilled out to remove the piece if you need to. To remove a rivet you drill Out the center of the flange just enough that the flange separates from the core. The core will push thru when a new rivet is installed. I chose to replace my bent shield and ordered the rivets from my FIAT dealer parts dept.

this was passenger side, if the part number on it will help any.
there are plastic push pin fasteners holding on the plastic cover ahead of the skid plate. Here are a few of the images of my repair.

Hood Light Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thorough reply!

I'm gonna do some more research today, but I do have a few more questions if you've got the time to help me out.

The skid plate itself looks perfectly fine, so I'm not sure if maybe just the rivets rusted out or something, but there's no sign of damage on the plate itself. Is is possible to purchase just the rivets from Mopar? I don't have a Fiat dealership or parts store near me, but I do have a Mopar parts center (but I've heard they're not too great). If not, I can try to find a comparably sized rivet online.

Also, my assumption was that installing the new rivets would involve pulling up the interior rear carpet to get at the original rivets. Is that assumption correct? Since I just got the car, I'm a little apprehensive to go ripping up the pristine interior...

Thanks again for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts