Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not good at all. My 2012 Fiat 500 which has 302 miles has a bad burning rubber smell in the cabin. I have to open the windows its so bad. I examined the engine and there are no leaks but the smell is there. It does not smell like oil, rather it smells like a rubber tires after a burnout. It is not gasoline either. I dropped it off at the dealer in New Jersey. I hope they can fix this. This car is brand new and it's already giving me problems. It is an automatic and it was perfectly fine for the first 300 miles. Any ideas what is wrong? I understand that new cars have a 'break in period'..but this is so bad I can't even sit in the car.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No loaner...'sorry we have none available sir'....that's what I got.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The only two rotating rubber parts that I can think of in the car it the timing belt and the serpentine belt.
Could be a bad pulley that is causing the belt to burn.

Is your car doing anything else?
Screaching noise?
Overheating?

BC.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is driving perfectly fine. No overheating, no screaching noises. But the burning smell seems like it coming from right from the engine area, through the vents into the cabin. I looked around with a flashlight but everything looks good. I also checked under the car for a stuck plastic bag or something. But there is nothing there. I didn't remove the plastic engine cover, so maybe there is something underneath not working right.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is it constant? I have noticed that this little car seems to suck in just about every outside smell pretty easy. Probably no cabin intake filter, which has become common in the last couple years.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is constant. It happens after the car is warmed up after about 10 minutes...its there whether the car is stationary idling or driving...

·
Registered
289 Posts
If the smell is aparent when warming up before driving my best guess would be a belt rubbing/slipping or a piece of plastic or rubber touching somthing very hot i(ie exhaust). Since you have no odd noises I would suspect the latter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I rented a 500 this summer and spilled some gas during the fueling the gas smell came right into the cabin. I guess the cabin is not all that well sealed. Has the dealer gotten back to you Michael? I would think this is something they could find quickly..

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
When I rented a 500 this summer and spilled some gas during the fueling the gas smell came right into the cabin. I guess the cabin is not all that well sealed. Has the dealer gotten back to you Michael? I would think this is something they could find quickly..
Disagree on the cabin not being well sealed. Doors are as hard to close, when buttoned up, as my 1968 VW Beetle was when new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Michaelo, I have this same problem.

I have a Pop/Auto purchased in March and now has about 3000 miles. I notice the smell, which seems like burning plastic, sometime during the first 1000 miles but not immediately after we purchased it. Its more noticeable with the air on "fresh" rather than "recirc", and stronger if I drive hard. I took it to the dealer and they blew me off (claiming they couldn't smell anything).

On the theory that whatever was burning could be "burned off", I went out for a 200 miles drive in the mountains and drove the bejeezus out of the car. The smell was BAD during the drive, but the next day in normal driving the smell was greatly reduced. The last few months I only noticed it occasionally, and would switch the air intake to recirc if it bothered me.

If you get no satisfaction from the dealer, you could try what I did.

Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 8k on my prima Sport and I noticed it at first. I took it in to the dealer and they claimed it was just a new car breaking in. It's was gone after about 4k.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it back from the dealer, they said it was a bad o ring around the oil filter housing, and that the replaced it. I drove it for 30 minutes and it was burning oil again. Terrible smell. I have to bring it back again...

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I noticed on somewhat rare occasion some kind of smell I cannot really accurately describe but it is from what I can tell some kind of fluid smell, no leaks and nothing being flagged and so rare I have often thought it might be other cars around me, plus I don't recall it anytime recently and am near the 3800K mark roughly.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where is the filter housing? is it in front of the engine on the passenger side? This looks like it might become a long saga of back and forth at the dealership...I hope this is not a lemon law case..what a huge headache that would be. :mad:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found the oil filter housing, I don't see any leaks. I gave the engine a good inspection with my flashlight and followed my nose. There are no visible leaks. However the oil burning type of smell is coming from right where the motor oil dipstick/motor oil cap area is. But I don't see anything leaking oil there either. It almost seems like its burning within the inside of the engine itself and permeating through the head of the engine...[I know that must be a ridiculous statement].

1 - 20 of 60 Posts