Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dilemma. Currently driving VW Rabbit 2008 with 170hp. Car is great and I like it but after 3 yrs kinda bored with it.

I had a chance to drive few Fiats and love the look BUT hate these 100 hp. I just feel like it is slow. And that was on manual trans. On automatic it feels even worst to me :(

Now, I did some dealing with fiat people and they offered me nice trade in for my VW where I would come on plus. Next it would lower my monthly payments if I choose Fiat. And of course easy "get rid" of my VW. My VW has almost 43K miles on it and warranty will be out at 50K or may next year.

I do not mind keep that car BUT waiting for abarth seems to be long and still questionable when they will be available?

I'm just afraid that in less than year I'll be looking to trade in again cause I want abarth etc. Also, what will used fiat worth then to trade it in and if I'm going to loose on deal?

I tried deal with MINI Cooper but WHAT A BAD experience I had with local dealers. Everyone are bunch of stock up aholes.

So, any advice is welcome. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I've had sort of the same dilema. I really wanted an Abarth and I was all set to wait, but once I realized that the Abarth will be selling for $5-6K MORE than a Sport, I decided to get the Sport NOW rather than wait for the Abarth and then realize it's too much money.

but thats just me. logically speaking, the Sport has everything I was looking for and as much as I'll be driving, I'll need the best fuel mileage possible. the Abarth, with the turbo, I'm sure will NOT be getting the 30/38 like the 5sp Sport.

just my opinion.....btw, Welcome to the forum. by your screen name, are you perhaps a Hoosier Chicago Cubs Fan??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also had this debate... I decided to grab a Prima knowing that only 500 would be around versus a Abarth that anybody can buy. I think the deciding factor is whether you are buying the car for performance or for a fun commuter car. I have a 350+hp Z4 M Coupe that the Abarth will never come close as far as performance. However, the Z4 is absolutely brutal to drive around the city and barely gets 17mpg during my daily commute. The 500 is getting 37+ and is an absolute pleasure to drive around town. So I take the Z4 out on weekends and drive the 500 every day...

Ed

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wait for the abarth. You'd have to be nuts to buy a car you don't enjoy which you'll take a beating on when you want to trade it in 1 - 2 years down the road. Buy a car that you love and keep it for years. Personally, I'd love an extra 20-30 hp in this car. It's definitely a 'little' slower than I'd prefer. But, the car drives and handles great, and more importantly despite the limited hp, it 'feels' much faster than it is. In my opinion, this model will be much more fun to drive than an Abarth with 170hp, where you'll need to baby the gas all the time in town.

So, the standard 500 works for me, and I have no doubt that I'll be driving the car 10 years from now (if the reliability holds up).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

So far I'm still thinking :) taking all cons and pros.

Rossoman, how was your experience with folks in greenwood fiat? Cause mine was so far 100% great and got price under sticker, so can't complain. All they waiting for from me, is a phone call to give them GO and order my car.

Also, Rossoman, how did u like miki Cooper? Do yOu still own it?

Ps. Cub4bearindiana has nothing to do with baseball etc. :) :)

This is kinda family forum so won't be able to explain ;)

I've had sort of the same dilema. I really wanted an Abarth and I was all set to wait, but once I realized that the Abarth will be selling for $5-6K MORE than a Sport, I decided to get the Sport NOW rather than wait for the Abarth and then realize it's too much money.

but thats just me. logically speaking, the Sport has everything I was looking for and as much as I'll be driving, I'll need the best fuel mileage possible. the Abarth, with the turbo, I'm sure will NOT be getting the 30/38 like the 5sp Sport.

just my opinion.....btw, Welcome to the forum. by your screen name, are you perhaps a Hoosier Chicago Cubs Fan??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I also had this debate... I decided to grab a Prima knowing that only 500 would be around versus a Abarth that anybody can buy. I think the deciding factor is whether you are buying the car for performance or for a fun commuter car. I have a 350+hp Z4 M Coupe that the Abarth will never come close as far as performance. However, the Z4 is absolutely brutal to drive around the city and barely gets 17mpg during my daily commute. The 500 is getting 37+ and is an absolute pleasure to drive around town. So I take the Z4 out on weekends and drive the 500 every day...

Ed

I second that. I wanted a fun city car for my daily commute. My Azzurro is such a blast to drive despite only having 101hp. I'm curious to see the Abarth when it comes out, but I figured it would probably end up being too expensive for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah the Abarth would be a fun car to own and that is why we plan on leasing the 500 sport so we can jump into the Abarth right after.

Slightly off topic but cub4bearindiana and Azzurro, you both mentioned in this and on another thread that you guys got it below sticker price? Can you guys give us more info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able go $550 under.. due to lack of car with exact specification on lot.. and would have to order it..

jonsibal.. what is MONEY FACTOR on You Fiat? Residual is 51%.

I am dealing right now with option for leasing..

·
Registered
12 Posts
We haven't finalized the lease terms yet but was quoted 52% residual on a 12k miles, 3 yr lease. We really only want 10k miles and shooting for 56% RV. The car is suppose to arrive today but not sure yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got two options.. with 12K and 15K miles.. but after I did my math there is difference .. and trying str8 it out now.. will see..

51% residual was on 12K

49% residual was on 15K miles

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Rossoman, how was your experience with folks in greenwood fiat? Cause mine was so far 100% great and got price under sticker, so can't complain. All they waiting for from me, is a phone call to give them GO and order my car.

Also, Rossoman, how did u like miki Cooper? Do yOu still own it?

Ps. Cub4bearindiana has nothing to do with baseball etc. :) :)

This is kinda family forum so won't be able to explain ;)
the folks at O'Brien FIAT are awesome. if you're not familiar with their family, they've been in business since 1933 with Chrysler and have a great rep. I've been working with Kelly and she's really great, as are all of the staff there.

as for the Mini....never owned a Mini, just happened to have driven one a couple years ago. sits way too low for me. I"m a big guy at over 6' and 250lbs. too much work for me but the 500 is much easier to get in and out of. I DID own a smart car. BAD DECISION!

as for 'Sport vs Abarth' debate, depends on what you want from your FIAT. if you want primarily great mpgs, then pick up a Sport. BUT if you want decent mpgs and great PERFORMANCE, then talk to them about when you can order an Abarth.

something else to consider is you'll be taking a chance that your VW will not lose value and of course the Abarth WILL be more money. it's up to you if it's worth the wait or not.

for MY needs, the Sport fits them just fine. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the folks at O'Brien FIAT are awesome. if you're not familiar with their family, they've been in business since 1933 with Chrysler and have a great rep. I've been working with Kelly and she's really great, as are all of the staff there.

as for the Mini....never owned a Mini, just happened to have driven one a couple years ago. sits way too low for me. I"m a big guy at over 6' and 250lbs. too much work for me but the 500 is much easier to get in and out of. I DID own a smart car. BAD DECISION!

as for 'Sport vs Abarth' debate, depends on what you want from your FIAT. if you want primarily great mpgs, then pick up a Sport. BUT if you want decent mpgs and great PERFORMANCE, then talk to them about when you can order an Abarth.

something else to consider is you'll be taking a chance that your VW will not lose value and of course the Abarth WILL be more money. it's up to you if it's worth the wait or not.

for MY needs, the Sport fits them just fine. :)
Thanks Rosso and YES YOU R SOCKY MAN ;) I am getting there too.. nothing wrong with that. I can only imagine us BIG BEARS in small cars hahaha..

so for now we are going around numbers on leasing Fiat 500 for 36/months with Residual %51 and 12K miles a year.. I got slightly different numbers .. lower than dealer offered.. so trying to find out exact MONEY FACTOR..

if I can get exact numbers.. then I may just go and lease it.. till Abarth come along.. and just trade it in for abarth..

I like that Fiat offered me the most TRADE IN value for my car.. I came on plus almost $3000 which I could save in lease numbers are not to off from my current payment on my VW.. this would be sweet..

Also I may have potential buyer on my car and maybe sell it even for more.. who knows..

Rosso.. now is this Your family car ?? :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Rosso.. now is this Your family car ?? :) :) :)
the 500 will be my 'commute to work' car. its just my wife and I, so our 'family car' is her 2010 Prius. really a cool car in its own right, but 'not me', if you know what I mean.

leasing IS a good option if you feel like you'll still want an Abarth.....:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
the 500 will be my 'commute to work' car. its just my wife and I, so our 'family car' is her 2010 Prius. really a cool car in its own right, but 'not me', if you know what I mean.

leasing IS a good option if you feel like you'll still want an Abarth.....:)
Funny. I felt the same way about the hybrids. In Canada most cars are 30% more expensive or so to reflect our historically "low" dollar which is currently worth more than a US greenback. But, Honda is desperately trying to clear out the Insight from our market with a $4,000 plus rebate. Great technology in the car at that price point, incredible fuel economy, and not much slower than the fiat to be fair. I really wanted to like it. But, blah, a bit better than a prius wasn't enough to keep me happy. Interestingly, Fiat's models are priced almost on par between canada and the states. Even better is that we can pick up a Lounge with a 5 spd manual.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yeah the Abarth would be a fun car to own and that is why we plan on leasing the 500 sport so we can jump into the Abarth right after.

Slightly off topic but cub4bearindiana and Azzurro, you both mentioned in this and on another thread that you guys got it below sticker price? Can you guys give us more info.
I got $1500 off the sticker. My friend's husband owns a competing dealership in another province, so I told my local dealer that I was considering the other dealership. My local dealer had the exact car I wanted on the lot and they were quick to reduce their asking price.

Everything is negotiable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's pretty impressive. I'll try to see if we can get some discount off the sticker.

Got a call from a dealership saying that the lease program for the 500 is finally up and running but now word yet on how much the Money Factor (Lease Rates) are yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's pretty impressive. I'll try to see if we can get some discount off the sticker.

Got a call from a dealership saying that the lease program for the 500 is finally up and running but now word yet on how much the Money Factor (Lease Rates) are yet.
And I still do not know what to do.. I go back to mini cooper website.. build my mini.. then calculate payments.. and then get scare what if mini breaks and I am out of warranty and suddenly there is huge cost of fixing it :)

then I go to Fiat.. build my sport.. and remind myself that it still has 101hp :) and it is nowhere close to my VW Rabbit with power.. BUT much lower gas usage :)

then I think if I should buy it and pay lower payments.. but I'll get tide to this car cause of loan.. or go LEASE.. and sign for 36 months.. but what if I have to get out of it etc..

so many questions..

My total lease price on Fiat 500 Sport with manual, Sound package.. and convin. package.. would be $18900. Now there is about $900 in fees for lease. So that all takes me to about $376 per month, this includes TAX as well.

Milage limit would be 12,000 miles a year.. and Lease for 3 yrs..

NOW, money factor was set standard (rate of %6.02, which is %6.02:2400=0.00250 I think).

so, me with VERY GOOD credit score, I may be able to get better money factor..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here is where I am coming from..

So guys.. here is where I am coming from and THIS IS WHERE I AM STAYING IN.. till Abarth comes next year.. OR I'll find Mini Cooper in my budget.. I worked on my car today ... and here is how it looks.. this is my 2008 VW Rabbit..

I just cant get into 100 hp engine.. ;(

I am going to fallow this forum and hope to be back at some point with .... Abarth :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I actually had a prima edizione reserved but passed on it when I came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was an Abarth (getting to ride in one while I was in Ur-up may have influenced my thinking!). I just decided I didn't need 2 FIATS, unless I could have bought 1 diesel for economy. SO, I can wait, AND I'm willing to pay extra.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts