Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Looking to buy :-)
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been reading through this forum and I’m amazed at the quality of posts. I’m soaking it all in. Thank you.

So, if all goes well I’m going to buy a 2016 Celeste Blue 500e with 49k miles. I have been compiling a buyers checklist from your posts here. I have a pic of the “gauge cluster”. I’m optimistic that the range and the charge level imply a healthy battery. I’ll be grabbing the android app and cable so that I can take a closer look.

Any reactions and/or advice is appreciated.

Wheel Sky Tire Car Vehicle

Watch Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
compiling a buyers checklist... optimistic that the range and the charge level imply a healthy battery.
Sorry, but the "range" number implies nothing.

It is EXTREMELY well-named "Guess-O-Meter" (GOM) since it can be very wildly inaccurate. I would check for battery damage per the buyers checklist here:

Unfortunately the OBD data for battery health is also wildly inacurate, & the only way to really check it requires charging to 100%, driving to below 0%, then 4+ hours to measure a full recharge.

However you can get a pretty good health estimate by driving 10 or 20+ miles on a flat highway with cruise at 55, &/or in stop & go city traffic, & see if it goes about 1 mile for every 1%.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
I’ll be grabbing the android app and cable...
A "cable" is only needed for modules that I've never needed to access in over 6 years with a 2013 500e as my only car. I just have a $16 eBay Konnwei KW902, & with that you can check everything you need with the free AlfaOBD "demo" app.

If I was doing it all over again I might spring for a $140 OBDLink MX+ since it can use a "yellow adapter cable" to access every module. The KW902 won't work with the adapter, but it can still access everything me or nearly everyone else has ever needed so far.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I’ve been reading up on the “gues-o-meter” since I posted LOL

Your advice is very much appreciated. I’m buying from CarShop.com. When you buy online they give you a 5 day grace period and I plan to use that time to further inspect the car. CarShop has been good to me in the past, but not sure how EV aware they are. I will be relying heavily on advice from this forum. I have the checklist and procedures bookmarked. Again this forum is a goldmine. [ cue old man voice ] I have been a member of online car enthusiast forums since they were mailing lists before the WWW ( ie for a 1st gen RX-7 ) and this one ranks up there at the top in terms of organization, articulate description and willingness to pitch in 🙂. Nice that places like this still exist.

I will def check out the Konnwei KW902 and plan to purchase. I have an old android phone as well as a windows laptop so I’m almost there.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
I hope you mean you "plan" to purchase a KW902 or MX+ NOW, so that you have it in time to test for battery damage while you can still decline the car.

Even without OBD, 5 days should give you time to do a proper battery health check per posts 1 & 2 here:

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Oh! If you want to measure battery health you need a metered charger, so you might want to look for one in advance. Of all the free stations I often use, 82% of them have no meters.

If you're paying by the hour it may only show charging time. Even if you're paying per kWh it might only show the total dollars.

I suppose you could compare total charge time on the OEM cord from fully dead when it won't go into D or R. When I've done that it has taken 19 hours & 50 to 52 minutes, but of course you have to be right there right when it stops, unless you have a smart plug that will record that.

Or you could avoid the slight extra battery degradation of going to 0%, & just drive as far as you plan to ever take it, & see how much is left.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,112 Posts
Is it not a good value even without the rebate? Mine sure was!

Even with no rebate, I've saved so much now on gas, oil, filters, smog checks, brakes, etc that it was definitely worth it.

& I'm not even counting that it's the most fun daily car I've ever driven.

· Registered
54 Posts
Well it looks like this isn’t going to happen. Problems with the dealership providing the info for the rebate.

My search goes on!
At first my dealership said they don't give out their tax ID number, but they called the higher ups, and got it for me. I got my 2016 with 32K miles for about $7,100 (after rebate), so... close to pre-pandemic pricing, as far as I can tell. 6 year old car.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the deal fell through. Man, I was really hoping to get this one.

Why did it fall through? It boils down the the following;
  • no charger
  • only one key
  • price was already a little bit beyond the highest price guidance on edmunds.com
Beyond that;
  • lost trust in the salesperson who told me “you don’t really seem into this deal” after I told him I would need time to think about the missing key and charger
  • took too much convincing and too many requests to cancel the deal ( refund the $500 deposit )
My bad;
  • I still haven’t seen the car in person. This one is on me. I expected this deal to be like the other deals with CarSense/CarShop where they went above and beyond seemed to understand the cars I was being sold and treated me with respect. I felt comfortable putting the $500 down early, because of my previous experiences ( 3 ).
Still looking for a 500e. The search goes on 🤷‍♂️

Really appreciate everybody’s help so far :) I learned a great deal from this.

· Registered
54 Posts
In response to "you don't really seem into this deal" I would have said: "you don't really seem into my money."

My first choice was a light blue one. I was going to slap the 1957 retro blue wheels on it, if I got it, but they didn't like my offer.
My silver 2016 has only one key, (I didn't find that out til the very end.)
It has 32K miles and I was happy getting it for $10,250. after tax rebate I'm looking at $7,175

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it looks like they put this 500e back up on their website. I spent some time looking at other options like a ordering a 2023 Chevy Bolt. Looks like it would be a good deal, but, I just can’t see spending that more at this point in time.

So, I think I’m going to do what I should have done in the first place, buy this 100% online instead of in person. It will cost an additional $250, but comes with a longer warranty and a 5 day grace period.

Now I need to order a charger and get a second key made. I have located a dealer that can help with the key. I’ll search the forum for charger recommendations.

· Registered
122 Posts
Now I need to order a charger and get a second key made. I have located a dealer that can help with the key. I’ll search the forum for charger recommendations.
I got mine from a dealer in Vancouver. Prices are a bit steeper up here but I was happy to pay $14CAD for my 500e sport model. It too only came with one key, but the dealer gave me a free insurance policy which basically entitled me to claim for a second key after three months. Maybe ask your dealer if they can do something similar? My car was also missing the charge cable, but I got the dealer to order a new one and include it in the price. Took a month to arrive, but I have a free public charging station a couple of blocks away so it wasn't a problem. Haven't used a public charger since. I just park it in my drive and plug in to my own 110v overnight.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts