Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the car exactly one year ago today, and I'm sitting around 16500km. I figured I'd call the dealership and ask about the one year maintenance. Since I already did an oil change and tire rotation recently, they said it wouldn't be due in for servicing until 20000km. I think they're going with the standard Chrysler schedule. Here's the breakdown:

Front brake clean, lube and inspection- $90
Rear brake clean, lube and inspection - $90
40 point inspection- $35
4 wheel alignment?!?!- $99

Now the FIAT service schedule that came with the car indicates that an appointment is needed at 1 year or 26000km, which ever comes first. It states the car would need an oil change, tire rotation, cabin filter, sunroof lube and a general inspection. Sounds a lot different than what I was told over the phone.

Anyone, preferably Canadian, have any input?
The dealership is Capital Dodge in Kanata.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Does the car require a 4 wheel alignment? If so, I suppose $100 isn't too far from the $80 a private shop will charge, and Dealerships don't necessarily follow standards much better than the private shops do, but at the very least you'd be able to go back and complain with reasonable cause if they don't do it properly.

As for brake cleaning, lube, "inspection"... anyone with basic car knowledge should be able to easily take care of such things themselves without spending nearly $250 to get it done.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would expect that any servicing not in the prescribed/ itemized maintenance list would be cleared with the owner before it is done. Cleaning brakes after one year? Was there above average wear or dirt?

On the alignment, one year or 16,500 kms is very early for an alignment to be needed. That should surely have warranted a telephone call. On the price, I've had alignments done by private shops to VW's and they were $105 & $120.00.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the dealership, they haven't had a look at my car since I brought it in for a small interior rattle last fall. Obviously brake work is something I'll do myself, just like filter/oil changes and tire rotations. I just thought it was odd that they said it would need an alignment. By my assessment, the car does not need an alignment at this point. I'm hoping to lower it sometime this spring and I know it will need an alignment then.

Basically, it's just disconcerting having the maintenance schedule with the car saying one thing, and the dealer saying another.

I'm very much a DIY guy. I just don't want to find out that any work I've done myself will affect my warranty. This is my first new car. I've maintained my 98 Volvo myself for the past 7 years, only taking it to a local independent mechanic for larger repairs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i had my car aligned when i lowered it-there are NO adjustments to be made in the rear(not possible ) unless shims possibly???
i would ask what adjustments are going to be made in the rear........
the brake cleaning/lubing/inspection is a waste of money in my opinion as well.
good luck!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Azzurro, I recently went in for my first service, the pricing and what they do during the service is something that the dealers do not clearly understand yet. My dealership has not even set prices/service options yet, its kind of redonk..

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I called the dealership, they haven't had a look at my car since I brought it in for a small interior rattle last fall. Obviously brake work is something I'll do myself, just like filter/oil changes and tire rotations. I just thought it was odd that they said it would need an alignment. By my assessment, the car does not need an alignment at this point. I'm hoping to lower it sometime this spring and I know it will need an alignment then.

Basically, it's just disconcerting having the maintenance schedule with the car saying one thing, and the dealer saying another.

I'm very much a DIY guy. I just don't want to find out that any work I've done myself will affect my warranty. This is my first new car. I've maintained my 98 Volvo myself for the past 7 years, only taking it to a local independent mechanic for larger repairs.
As long as you are meticulous about your records and receipts, the dealer can't say peep. Happened to me with my Audi. Engine and turbo got starved of oil and I had to prove every oil change in order to get a new engine and turbo or it would have been a $6500 job.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm glad all my maintance is free for the first 3 years. Thank You Fiat!
Ah, but we get an extra year of Powertrain Warranty, extra 10,000 miles and 1 more year of roadside assistance.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
What is your basic warranty?
Basic is 3 years/36000km or 22369 miles, Powertrain is 5 years/100,000km or 60,000 miles, Roadside is 5 years. Since we do a lot of driving, I grabbed a 5 years/160,000km or 99419 miles full coverage on everything.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Grigio500:

I would contact Canada Customer Assistance regarding this.. they can be reached at:

Canadian Customers calling from Canada:
Phone (English): (800) 465-2001
Phone (French): (800) 387-9983
Hours of operation: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM (EST), Monday - Friday; 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST) Saturday
Mailing Address:
Chrysler Canada, Inc.
Customer Assistance Centre
P.O. Box 1621
Windsor ON N9A 4H6
Fax: (519) 973-2318

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I picked up the car exactly one year ago today, and I'm sitting around 16500km. I figured I'd call the dealership and ask about the one year maintenance. Since I already did an oil change and tire rotation recently, they said it wouldn't be due in for servicing until 20000km. I think they're going with the standard Chrysler schedule. Here's the breakdown:

Front brake clean, lube and inspection- $90
Rear brake clean, lube and inspection - $90
40 point inspection- $35
4 wheel alignment?!?!- $99

Now the FIAT service schedule that came with the car indicates that an appointment is needed at 1 year or 26000km, which ever comes first. It states the car would need an oil change, tire rotation, cabin filter, sunroof lube and a general inspection. Sounds a lot different than what I was told over the phone.

Anyone, preferably Canadian, have any input?
The dealership is Capital Dodge in Kanata.
Azzurro: I can only recommend following the service schedule in the maintenance book, especially if your doing the oil changes and tire rotations yourself.

Canadian Customers calling from Canada:

Phone (English): (800) 465-2001
Phone (French): (800) 387-9983
Hours of operation: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM (EST), Monday - Friday; 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST) Saturday
Mailing Address:
Chrysler Canada, Inc.
Customer Assistance Centre
P.O. Box 1621
Windsor ON N9A 4H6
Fax: (519) 973-2318

·
Registered
10 Posts
Azzurro, I got my Fiat from Capital Dodge too and I just went in for my 1 year. They told me the same thing about breaking cleaning and alignment. I ended up asking them to check the wear pattern on my tires to see if it was irregular. I figured if it was, then I would consider getting the alignment done...didn't want to spend $100 if I didn't need to. The brake cleaning is another story. I didn't get it done right away because I sensed a $200 scam going on. Anyone have any thoughts on this whole breaking cleaning/lubing recommendation? The majority of the car knowledgeable friends have say there's no need.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Azzurro, I got my Fiat from Capital Dodge too and I just went in for my 1 year. They told me the same thing about breaking cleaning and alignment. I ended up asking them to check the wear pattern on my tires to see if it was irregular. I figured if it was, then I would consider getting the alignment done...didn't want to spend $100 if I didn't need to. The brake cleaning is another story. I didn't get it done $4right away because I sensed a $200 scam going on. Anyone have any thoughts on this whole breaking cleaning/lubing recommendation? The majority of the car knowledgeable friends have say there's no need.
About $4 CAD... http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...roduct_brake-parts-cleaner-wearever_7040598-p

About $4 CAD... http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ube-permatex_99997944-p?searchTerm=brake+lube

How to:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-tests/how-to-use-brake-lubricant2.htm

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Brake cleaning????

OOOKKKKKKKAAAAAYYYYY.

Not on my car. Not if you plan on charging me for it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I rinse then when I clean the wheels. But paying for "cleaning?" And lubing? I lube the soild bushing guide pins on my E46 M3. The rest of the vehicles get no lubing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts