Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm leaning toward it not being okay. To go from a voltage that was able to start the car drive it some distance (charging the 12 volt battery) then plugging it into charge (also charging the 12 volt battery), then go all the way down to 0 volts in 6 days means either there was a drain on the battery or the battery was bad. My guess is we will never know for sure if it was a bad battery since it was likely turned in for the core when she bought the new one.

The fact that it has happened before does increase the probability that there is some external drain when the car is off. This is something that you can check for.
No doubt the old battery is long gone, but six days does seem like a suspiciously short time for it to have drained. I had driven it 40 miles before parking it and plugging it in on Saturday, so it should have been fully charged at that point.

I'll post again when the Bluetooth monitor is installed. Fingers crossed that it was just the old battery causing the trouble, because I won't even know where to begin looking for a different problem.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
Don't worry.

The issue will definitely be solved with the Bluetooth monitor. Even the absolute worst-case scenario is every 6 days turn the key one click for a while, but even that seems quite unlikely to be needed.

Add the solar tricklecharger & you'll likely only need to glance at it briefly every 6 months to make sure the circuit breaker hasn't popped without you noticing: You won't even need to pay attention to that if it's not a GFCI, & it's on the same circuit as something you use periodically, like a porch light, coffee maker, microwave, etc.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
Electric Tire Shredder tested a cheap 12V li-ion battery on his post: Tiny $20 12V Battery Works! (& saves 38 Pounds).

Slight Correction: I have not yet tested any 12V li-ion batteries.

I tested a tiny $20 lead acid AGM* 12V to see how long it lasted parked unplugged: 5 days! (with the alarm off, in mild weather).

I now have a $35 6Ah** lead acid gel 12V which is going strong after more than 2 years.

* Absorbent Glass Mat.
** About 1/10th the OEM size, good for about 11 days parked unplugged with the alarm off in mild weather.

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
Good. That's the contactors.

If HV pack voltage seems damagingly low, the first thing to check is item #1 on the first post here, & also check the second post:

· Registered
5 Posts
the problem i have i can't go further on the obd , its going to idle , Konnwei obd , the blue light when i connect it should stay on or it should blink every second , mine its blinking but device say connected

· Registered
5 Posts
the problem i have i can't go further on the obd , its going to idle , Konnwei obd , the blue light when i connect it should stay on or it should blink every second , mine its blinking but device say connected

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
My blue light blinks & it works fine once the app shows "connected".

You're leaving the key on one click, right?

Maybe try to access the logs which are auto-saved in your phone. My phone won't display them, so I used its charge cord to connect to my computer, & found the files here. Click to enlarge:
Wood Font Tints and shades Rectangle Pattern

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bluetooth monitor and styrofoam installed!
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black Bumper

I'm not sure quite what to make of the data, though. In a nutshell, here's today:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

All of those ups and downs coincide with me plugging in, turning on, turning off, unplugging, etc (not necessarily in that order...).

At 13:46 I ran a battery test:
Terrestrial plant Gadget Font Screenshot Electronic device
Font Gas Electric blue Parallel Darkness

At 13:48 turned all of the accessories off, foot on the brake (set the hand brake), turned the car off, took the key out, shut the door, unplugged the car and walked away.

Returned at 17:39, and the app shows:
Font Gas Circle Electric blue Darkness

I'll be curious to see what this all looks like after 24 hours sitting. If anyone finds those screenshots illuminating, please share. I so appreciate all the help!

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
That styrofoam isn't doing much. You're trying to shield the whole side of the battery from the hot onboard charger and from the hot PIM that's right underneath it.

Something seems not quite right. The voltage shouldn't be dropping so low so fast. Mine is 12.6 right now, parked unplugged 41 hours, & it's 2 years older than yours & 1/10 the size.

For the 17:39 test did you keep it asleep by leaving the car locked with doors & hatch closed?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That styrofoam isn't doing much. You're trying to shield the whole side of the battery from the hot onboard charger and from the hot PIM that's right underneath it.

Something seems not quite right. The voltage shouldn't be dropping so low so fast. Mine is 12.6 right now, parked unplugged 41 hours, & it's 2 years older than yours & 1/10 the size.

For the 17:39 test did you keep it asleep by leaving the car locked with doors & hatch closed?
I hadn't touched it or plugged it in for the 17:39 test. Still asleep.

(I'll take another run at the styrofoam - it goes down further than it may appear, but I pinched out some at the front to avoid a hose of some kind.)

· Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
5,163 Posts
If the foam doesn't go all the way down to the battery tray, it might do more harm than good, trapping the heat. Think of it as shielding the whole side of the battery.

Untouched car and fob* is the ideal voltage test procedure, so the low reading really is a concern, not just due to the car powering up.

* You can lower the voltage without touching the car, by locking or unlocking it with the fob.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts