Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the article below that i posted in the link, it has me convinced that solar road's just might a big jump to being "green" and benefit us and future generations. This idea is said to cut greenhouse gases in half! Just imagine what we can do with energy storing solar roads being placed everywhere.

Article: Can A Solar Road Solve Hazardous Winter Driving Conditions? | AutoGuide.com News

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
It is a good idea. But the answer to the question posed by your posting is no. It can't solve the problem. The difference in the coefficients of friction between wet and dry roads and rubber tires are too great. If they could get the heating to dry the roads, that would help quite a bit. But - electric heating from solar panels - is that feasible?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I assume the engineer is talking about photovoltaic solar panels. I have seen solar houses with hot water solar panels for heating. But the video did not make any mention of water in the system. So I am unconvinced about the heating idea. There are scientists and there are engineers, and this is the kind of thing that separates the two...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Then there is the real world, sounds like a maintenance nightmare. It takes them months to get all the potholes filled after it rains, then the next storms washes out the patch.

What if your street is covered with snow, dirt or underwater after it rains when the drain clogs?

Man electrocuted by pothole. Cloudy skies causing brownouts. Snowplow blacks out part of city.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Yes, I agree the idea lacks practicality. People will go for it though. People will believe anything as long as it's not the truth.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Dumb idea.......

Another example of "The operation was a success but the patient died"

I live in Sacramento California. It is a place where a third term Governor I lived through once got re-elected because of a technicality written just for Jerry Brown. IDIOTS! The people that voted against him are outnumbered by the folks on the social welfare roles or work for the state or local government and are protecting their jobs. I would move if it were not for the fact my grandkids live two blocks away.

I will see high speed rail between San Francisco and LA first. I just wished Caltrans would fix the potholes. I love driving in other states like Oregon, Nevada and Washington. The roads are smooth and well cared for.

Sorry for the rant.......I feel better now.......:)

Another thought is the energy saving LED traffic lights that don't clear snow because they don't produce any heat to melt away the snow and ice. In theroy it was a good idea to save the energy but now you have warm bodies in trucks clearing snow........OOPS!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great Idea, but at $4.4 Million/mile it's way too costly at the moment. If the economy wasn't in a rough stage it could be something to consider but it's not necessary to have.

When the demand for electricity is much higher, then we can start using things like these. EV cars are just starting to come out and a solar system to generate power for these vehicles will be needed, when last have you seen a EV charging station? Probably never or once if your in the few places of the world that has a handful of these set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts