Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing around with the car today. I tried locking it with the key, then unlocking it. When I opened the door the alarm would go off. I though this was kind of strange. If I would lock it with the keyless, then use the key to unlock it, the alarm would still go off.

Why doesn't unlocking with the key disable the alarm?

A few hours later I got in the car as usual and began to back out of the garage. I guess the car sensed that it may have been tampered with, so it was giving me a "Possible theft" message in the display and flashing a little car/lock symbol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
On the Fiat phone app, it says to arm, press the key fob LOCK or the power door lock while the door is open. And to disarm press the key fob UNLOCK button and turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position. No mention of keys, but strange that it states turn the ignition on...which you would if driving away, but sometimes it is just to put something in or out. I did come out of the grocery store and hit my hatch unlock button...hatched unlocked but when I opened it the alarm went off, which it shouldn't and has only done it the one time but it does make me gunshy to use this feature.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I was playing around with the car today. I tried locking it with the key, then unlocking it. When I opened the door the alarm would go off. I though this was kind of strange. If I would lock it with the keyless, then use the key to unlock it, the alarm would still go off.

Why doesn't unlocking with the key disable the alarm?

A few hours later I got in the car as usual and began to back out of the garage. I guess the car sensed that it may have been tampered with, so it was giving me a "Possible theft" message in the display and flashing a little car/lock symbol.
Azzurro:

I agree with BPLounge... I would follow the owners manual or the Fiat phone app, it says "to arm, press the key fob LOCK or the power door lock while the door is open. And to disarm press the key fob UNLOCK button and turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position." You are correct regarding the "possible theft" message. If the alarm has gone off for any reason, that message is to alert the driver that something caused the alarm to off. If you are still having issue with the fob, key, or alarm, please visit your local Fiat Studio so that it may be addressed. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Crazy question. Is there a hatch release from the inside? I've been in situations where I start the car then realize I have to access the rear, but have to remove the key.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Crazy question. Is there a hatch release from the inside? I've been in situations where I start the car then realize I have to access the rear, but have to remove the key.
Lorvar:

If the doors are unlocked, the hatch should be unlocked. If you are in a situation like you mentioned...in the front seat, in Park, ignition ON, even with the doors locked, as soon as you unlock the vehicle, even to get out and access the hatch, the hatch should be unlocked without having to use key. However, some vehicles, like mine (not a Fiat) do not allow access to the trunk via the trunk release in the front cabin, if in Park, ignition ON. I have to get out and manually open the trunk with the release latch on the deck lid. I can only use the quick release for the trunk with ignition OFF. This is designed as a safety feature for the driver. I also have an emergency latch to exit through the back seats and through the truck deck lid.

For Fiat 500, also, to my knowledge there is no emergency latch to open the hatch (lets say, if in an accident). I have a colleague with the same vehicle and he will verify your inquiries for me tonight after work and get back with me tomorrow. I will confirm either way with you as soon as I can. Until then, please refer to the 2012 User Guide.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Lorvar:

If the doors are unlocked, the hatch should be unlocked. If you are in a situation like you mentioned...in the front seat, in Park, ignition ON, even with the doors locked, as soon as you unlock the vehicle, even to get out and access the hatch, the hatch should be unlocked without having to use key. However, some vehicles, like mine (not a Fiat) do not allow access to the trunk via the trunk release in the front cabin, if in Park, ignition ON. I have to get out and manually open the trunk with the release latch on the deck lid. I can only use the quick release for the trunk with ignition OFF. This is designed as a safety feature for the driver. I also have an emergency latch to exit through the back seats and through the truck deck lid.

For Fiat 500, also, to my knowledge there is no emergency latch to open the hatch (lets say, if in an accident). I have a colleague with the same vehicle and he will verify your inquiries for me tonight after work and get back with me tomorrow. I will confirm either way with you as soon as I can. Until then, please refer to the 2012 User Guide.

Thank you.
If I only press the unlock button once, get in, start the car, then the trunk is not unlocked. I'm not used to the central locking system of this car. Should have used a button.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I only press the unlock button once, get in, start the car, then the trunk is not unlocked. I'm not used to the central locking system of this car. Should have used a button.
I agree. This seems to happen all the time. If someone wants to put something in the trunk, I have to turn the car off, take the key out, and hit the button.

But back to my OP, I do find it odd that you can't manually use the key to unlock the door without setting the alarm off. Also, what about the option to have one hit of the button unlock all doors? It is mentioned in the manual, but doesn't work. Has Fiat gotten around to updating this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The service manager at my studio got nowhere trying to figure out how to program the fob for one-push open. He never figured it out. He was to follow up with FIAT but you remind me that I've never heard anything further from him.

Your frustrations mirror mine. Here is one more: If you're going to include an alarm in the car, wouldn't you WANT people to KNOW it has one by including a blinking LED on the dash or some other location as a deterrent???

I agree. This seems to happen all the time. If someone wants to put something in the trunk, I have to turn the car off, take the key out, and hit the button.

But back to my OP, I do find it odd that you can't manually use the key to unlock the door without setting the alarm off. Also, what about the option to have one hit of the button unlock all doors? It is mentioned in the manual, but doesn't work. Has Fiat gotten around to updating this?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

Lorvar:

Yes, if you press the key fob button once, on some vehicles, it may only unlock the drivers door; pressing it twice unlocks all others.

Reactions: phattbam

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd like this question answered, as well. I have a chipped key with no fob, but if I use either version to open the door, the alarm sounds. I don't like that happening. 2014 Fiat 500L

·
Registered
37 Posts
Azzurro:

I agree with BPLounge... I would follow the owners manual or the Fiat phone app, it says "to arm, press the key fob LOCK or the power door lock while the door is open. And to disarm press the key fob UNLOCK button and turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position." You are correct regarding the "possible theft" message. If the alarm has gone off for any reason, that message is to alert the driver that something caused the alarm to off. If you are still having issue with the fob, key, or alarm, please visit your local Fiat Studio so that it may be addressed. Please keep us posted.
After 5 years, has this been addressed and solved?? My 2014 alarms when I use the chipped key to unlock it, Fob or no fob!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Breaking News: When using a key to unlock a FIAT door, turn it twice, to prevent the alarm from sounding.
Thank goodness for an honest locksmith, who answered this question as he was reprogramming some keys for me.

I'd like this question answered, as well. I have a chipped key with no fob, but if I use either version to open the door, the alarm sounds. I don't like that happening. 2014 Fiat 500L

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.