Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Golf had these odd pinch weld tabs under the car, and if you didn't use the supplied jack (or pad with comparable groove) then you crushed them. I didn't get the spare tire kit so I didn't get a jack with it, so I'm wondering if I will run into any problems with my Sport. I just crawled under to look and I couldn't clearly see the jacking points behind the trim panel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks. This might have been our last 'warm' day for the season so I'll have to see if somebody has a garage they will let me use.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Nicest option I find is to use the aluminum race car jacks since they slide easier under cars that sit lower, always had to use one for the Miata, I think they are pretty cheap at harborfreight.com which is great unless you don't have one near you, then S&H might be a bit higher than you'd like to pay. Check it out, this is the one my father owns and I have used. http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-jack-68053-html-7814.html
Rapid Pump® 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Jack .Rapid Pump® high performance aluminum racing jack has a dual parallel pump system to lift most vehicles to an appropriate work height in just 3-1/2 pumps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. We have a couple of those and a bottle jack in the family, I'll try them out.

Harbor Freight can be a dangerous place; I just bought a heat gun and have been looking for things to use heat shrink tubing on all weekend.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nicest option I find is to use the aluminum race car jacks since they slide easier under cars that sit lower, always had to use one for the Miata, I think they are pretty cheap at harborfreight.com which is great unless you don't have one near you, then S&H might be a bit higher than you'd like to pay. Check it out, this is the one my father owns and I have used. http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-jack-68053-html-7814.html
Rapid Pump® 1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Jack .Rapid Pump® high performance aluminum racing jack has a dual parallel pump system to lift most vehicles to an appropriate work height in just 3-1/2 pumps.
That's a really heavy jack.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
That's a really heavy jack.
Heavy for what it can lift indeed...hehe, obviously it is nice to have it since it drops so low, lifts quick, and is lightweight (at only 26.8lbs) to move about as needed. I am not even supposed to lift that much really but at least I can move it easily compared to some jacks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a Pro-Lift 3-ton floor jack that has a 5"-16 1/2" inch lift range. It can provide several inches of clearance when lifting the front end. I imagine today's jacks will most likely give closer to 18" lifting - mine is 15 years old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts