Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to have a new gastank put in my car because no matter how I try all the methods, I can't pump gas in tank. Pump turns off quickly. So I tried putting gas in from a container thinking it was a pressure problem. That works. Fiat dealer says if they use pressure pump to clear it, it would only last a week. Design flaw in these tanks which makes filter clogged after so many yrs. Now it will cost approximately 1900 to replace tank, parts and labor. Anything else can they do instead of replacing tank?

·
Registered
980 Posts
You don't mention a year. There are 2 roll-over valves and the evaporative (charcoal) canister than can cause difficulty in filling the tank. One valve is part of the tank, where the filler neck's rubber hose attaches, the other is part of the fuel pump.

Replacing the tank will fix it if it's the filler neck roll-over valve, but not the other 2. Before replacing the tank, I would have them unstick the filler valve. If it then starts working, that's a good indication. Some owners have found, once unstuck, the valve continues to work for 6 months or longer. People have unstuck it in 3 ways. One is to rap on the filler tube or tank with a rubber mallet, another is to open the tank access panel (under the rear seat) and reach inside with a screw driver and pop it open, the 3rd is to use a "snake" to go down the filler neck.

I believe it was smark, whose 2012 model had to have the canister replaced soon after purchase. Defective or something. They can also plug if raw gas gets into the canister. That can happen with age, or especially if the owner tops off the fuel tank after filling.

For the 2nd roll-over valve, an owner popped it open by attaching a hose to the fuel pump and blowing down the line. It only worked for a few weeks and he ended up replacing the pump.

The tank MSRP is $750 to $1000 (depending on model) or $500 to $650 actual cost, from a Mopar dealer. $1200 labor seems a bit steep, but not uncommon. You might find a shop that'll do it for 1/3 that price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm about to have a new gastank put in my car because no matter how I try all the methods, I can't pump gas in tank. Pump turns off quickly. So I tried putting gas in from a container thinking it was a pressure problem. That works. Fiat dealer says if they use pressure pump to clear it, it would only last a week. Design flaw in these tanks which makes filter clogged after so many yrs. Now it will cost approximately 1900 to replace tank, parts and labor. Anything else can they do instead of replacing tank?
remove rear seat and remove black cover and wack the plastic valve. Done. Unstuck the rollover valve. Don’t overfill the tank to avoid reoccurrence

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just tried this on my 2012 Abarth and it worked. Thank you.
You are welcome. I can’t say it’s fun keeping our 2012 500’s running properly but these fixes are bizarrely unusual in my experience.
Newest one is having to add (and replace the existing) bolt on the starter to keep it from grounding through crank bearings . An issue on some 2012’s. Fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts