Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with all the talk of how the oil companies are gouging their customers by demanding $4.00+ for a gallon of gas at the pump, the practice of gouging the U.S. consumer has now included insurance companies, and in this particular case, State Farm.

seems that a couple years ago, State Farm Insurance initiated a 'test program' whereas all parts orders from repair centers were to be 'bid' on first by multiple dealerships BEFORE an authorization to begin repairs was given.

JMO (30+years in the business), this can only cause added delays in repairs with NO additional savings being passed on to the insured, not to mention the use of substandard or used parts to make your repairs.

so if you're looking to renew your car insurance policy (not just State Farm) or just shopping around for car insurance in general, other than comparing the obvious (coverages, premiums, etc), you should ask the contact about 'should I have an accident, what kind of parts do you allow the repair centers to use? aftermarket? used? "LKQ" (Like Quality, which is a nice way of saying USED)?

if you have a newer car, or like our case, a FIAT, I would imagine that you would want your insurance company to use NEW OE parts on any repair. I know I DO! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was with State Farm for almost 10 years and never had an issue with repairs and such but their price gouging is a different story, lol. Their prices were continually high and rising with each new policy renewal. I did everything I could to save cost without dropping my collision coverages and they just kept raising the price on me.

I switched to Geico and went from $750.00/6mo down to $510.00/6mo. I switched again recently to Progressive since my Wife had been with them for a couple of years and they gave me an even better rate of $450/6mo. (married/multiple policy discount). This is with the exact same coverage I had with State Farm, and a few things I didn't have(car rental & roadside assistance).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have to be with SF for the next couple of years due to my $2M liability umbrella policy, but I can tell you this:

the same exact coverages from Progressive, I paid 1/2 of what I pay with SF and the people were MUCH nicer to deal with.

I'm switching to Farmers after SF, and I expect to pay about 40% less than I do now with SF.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I was a SF for close to 15 years. Had to drop coverage when I moved overseas for a few years. Came back, called up SF, and the rate was really high. The agent it was because I was considered a high risk, because at the age of 29, it looked like I was applying for insurance for the first time and had no driving experience.

I pointed out, of course, that I had been an SF customer for quite a long time, provided all the agents I had worked with over the last several years, including an old insurance card with my policy # on it. Sorry, no record of you!

So that was the end of my SF patronage. I've since been with Met, Allstate, and Progressive. Looking to switch to USAA sometime in the future.

·
Registered
777 Posts
at least you have a choice. In canada a few provinces have manditory Provincial run auto insurance.

no choice = no competition = we get screwed hard. Im paying 1500+ for my fiat a year. im 35 with only one minor accident 17 years ago.

·
Registered
63 Posts
at least you have a choice. In canada a few provinces have manditory Provincial run auto insurance.

no choice = no competition = we get screwed hard. Im paying 1500+ for my fiat a year. im 35 with only one minor accident 17 years ago.
Holy crap. DEFINITELY won't be moving to Canada anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
personally, I'm currently with Amica....they have our house, both cars and a rental property. my premiums for the 500 run about $600.00/yr. thought about shopping around but Amica has been really good to us. my wife had an accident (not her fault.....AND it was an uninsured motorist) a few years back and no premium increases and they made sure her car was fixed to our satisfaction, not theirs.

I've had Progressive many years ago and my son and I were the only ones on the policy. he had an accident (not his fault) and they dropped me in a heartbeat. :(

recently I got an email from Liberty Mutual regarding special rates for FIAT owners. I may check it out when our policy comes due in September.....just for comparisons sake.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...... so if you're looking to renew your car insurance policy (not just State Farm) or just shopping around for car insurance in general, other than comparing the obvious (coverages, premiums, etc), you should ask the contact about 'should I have an accident, what kind of parts do you allow the repair centers to use? aftermarket? used? "LKQ" (Like Quality, which is a nice way of saying USED)?
due to a huge lawsuit a few years ago, State Farm is NOT allowed to use "aftermarket" parts for repairs of their insureds vehicles. this is the reason they are pushing for this plan to 'bid' out their parts orders. while other insurance companies can make use of aftermarket parts, SF can not.

the way I look at it, they have only themselves to blame.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I can tell you the "good neighbor" people shafted me on a homeowner insurance claim. Been with them for over 20 plus years and it was my first claim with them (a burst water line under the concrete foundation).

State Farm Sucks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
In as much as almost all insurance companies seem to offer a standard with their plans and premiums, it would still be a lot important to check on what you are getting just before you decide on it. It would be a lot better to check on competition first so that you could get the best possible for your car. Judging from the market standpoint, it would not be that hard to choose as most of them are vying for the same role to be that all around option anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I'm more car-centric on this. I think it makes little difference, with regards to original posting, about how well the car is fixed. Whether the trunk or windshield will leak is due to the skill of the technician more than the part, and you don't know who will be fixing it. That said, price of the policy is the only real factor, as long as they have a reasonably responsive claim system. A state-farm-insured idiot rear-ended me one time, and I drove it right to one of their claim centers, and they took care of me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was with State Farm for almost 10 years and never had an issue with repairs and such but their price gouging is a different story, lol. Their prices were continually high and rising with each new policy renewal. I did everything I could to save cost without dropping my collision coverages and they just kept raising the price on me.

I switched to Geico and went from $750.00/6mo down to $510.00/6mo. I switched again recently to Progressive since my Wife had been with them for a couple of years and they gave me an even better rate of $450/6mo. (married/multiple policy discount). This is with the exact same coverage I had with State Farm, and a few things I didn't have(car rental & roadside assistance).
My State Farm Quote is $337.89/6mos. Be careful when comparing other peoples quotes with your own, It all depends on your age, driving record, and how many other policies you have with them. No other insurance company beats my state farm because I have two houses, one umbrella policy and 3 cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
State Farm doesn't have the Fiat in the system (at least my agent couldn't find it) - so rate was double Geico. Anybody else have the same problem?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My State Farm Quote is $337.89/6mos. Be careful when comparing other peoples quotes with your own, It all depends on your age, driving record, and how many other policies you have with them. No other insurance company beats my state farm because I have two houses, one umbrella policy and 3 cars.
I wasn't comparing my quote, just stating how much I saved in the process of moving to different companies. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wasn't comparing my quote, just stating how much I saved in the process of moving to different companies. Nothing more, nothing less.
I am intriqued as to why you were being charged so much on the two previous companies, You didn't mention if there were any claims, tickets, or accidents just prior to the increases and if you were in your teens or twenties at the time. Were you required to obtain an abstract when you changed companies??? Or did the new company not bother to check your history?

I am not trying to be combative, I am really interested in your timeline and reasons for being charged so much.

Thanks Axela05.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am intriqued as to why you were being charged so much on the two previous companies, You didn't mention if there were any claims, tickets, or accidents just prior to the increases and if you were in your teens or twenties at the time. Were you required to obtain an abstract when you changed companies??? Or did the new company not bother to check your history?

I am not trying to be combative, I am really interested in your timeline and reasons for being charged so much.

Thanks Axela05.
My apologies, I definitely took your reply the wrong way. Well, I'm probably a really good example for car insurance comparing because my only accident (hopefully not jinxing myself) was 10 years ago. When I was a teenager with State Farm, I was paying $225/Mo just for comprehensive insurance, not full coverage. Once I got my first new car at age 20, my Father added me to his State Farm plan and I started around $180/mo for full coverage and slowly dropped to $125/mo at best (age 26). There were points I had to modify my coverages and such to keep it at $125/mo due to State Farm continually raising my rate for no reason (no accidents, no tickets, nothing). I got sick of battling the increases and got an online quote through Geico for $510/6mo for the exact same coverage I had with State Farm. Other than a clean driving record and being over 25, I really had no other discounts. When I moved to Progressive and got the quote for $450/6mo I was surprised because when shopping last time, everyone was higher. I believe it was definitely due to me being added on to my Wife's long time policy and being a newly wed (marriage discount). That about sums it up though. I'm a pretty average guy living in a state with high car insurance rates (**** old people and teenagers, lol).

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I always have to ask, why is a company cheaper for the same coverage.

Can it be that their drivers have less accidents? If so, why? Maybe because they drop them quickly. Or maybe they try to pay out less per accident? Or maybe because they have less people to actually help you when needed?

Insurance is a business. The goal is to charge more than you pay out. If you charge less, you have to pay out less, some way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It seems your rate is still a little high, compared to mine but I guess being 52 has it's advantages! Insurance rates in general have skyrocked in the past 10 years because of all the hits our country has been taking from Hurricanes. They make up the losses in all sorts of policies. If you are a condo owner, you would really see a huge markup in Hurricane insurance which has cause Maintenance fees to go through the roof. Oh well, we have to have insurance, the alternative would put us in the poor house or out on the street if something were to happen! Cheers and happy, safe driving.....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts