Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a car starter installed in my new Fiat 500 Lounge in a couple weeks and I'm told I'm going to need to give up a key to make it work. Does anyone know of a way around this? Apparently it requires the key to send the correct transponder code, which is an understandable security feature. Just rather annoying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Giving up a key doesn't make sense. Your Fiat should have come with a special thing that has the code for making more keys. That's all they should need to make you a starter... unless the design is such that it can't be programmed, but rather uses an already programmed key... which seems a little crappy to me.

Then again, I've never looked into starters.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice thread...i look for a car starter!!!But no one can install it for the moment!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
im a pro installer and DEI just came out with new firmware for their DB-ALL bypass that allows u to install a remote starter into a Fiat without losing a key I actually just installed one today works great

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
im a pro installer and DEI just came out with new firmware for their DB-ALL bypass that allows u to install a remote starter into a Fiat without losing a key I actually just installed one today works great

More details, prices, links and such would be greatly appreciated by all here I'm certain. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm a Sales Manager with a audio shop. I just installed a new alarm remote start in my 500 Sport. The DB-All works great. You keep both your keys and it programs to the car. It been cold the last few mornings. Just hit the button and the car is nice and warm.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Actually YES! I was really surprised but when it was done the Fiat remote would control the alarm. The DB-ALL module interfaces with the 500's Can-Bus system, so it gave it the ability to control the Clifford alarm. However, the Fiat remote doesn't have a button for remote start so for that feature I have to use the Clifford remote.

I decided it was just easier to use the Clifford remote for the door locks and the remote start, so I took the battery out of the Fiat remote.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Actually YES! I was really surprised but when it was done the Fiat remote would control the alarm. The DB-ALL module interfaces with the 500's Can-Bus system, so it gave it the ability to control the Clifford alarm. However, the Fiat remote doesn't have a button for remote start so for that feature I have to use the Clifford remote.

I decided it was just easier to use the Clifford remote for the door locks and the remote start, so I took the battery out of the Fiat remote.

Thanks for the info, I guess until there is some way to program the stock key for remote start (if ever) I won't have this option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually should have updated the thread when I got my starter. The new Xpresskit module was in fact able to bypass the need for me to giving up the key by programming it with the transponder code. It was a little more expensive but still cheaper than getting another key.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I actually should have updated the thread when I got my starter. The new Xpresskit module was in fact able to bypass the need for me to giving up the key by programming it with the transponder code. It was a little more expensive but still cheaper than getting another key.

So if I have this I can use my key that came with the car, lock, unlock, unlock tailgate and start the car...what is used to make the car start as in sequence or keys depressed if this is the case and how much is a "little more expensive"?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The buttons on the remote all still do their previous function. I got the Viper 5501 Two Way starter which has it's own remote with the same functions plus the starter button and my favorite feature, the ability to check the temperature inside the car.

The Viper remote also has significantly better range than the stock remote.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I was thinking about this last night.........

I came up with this:
http://avital.com/Products/Product.aspx?path=Remote Start System&id=5008

If you have this installed with a BD-ALL, then your installer should be able to program the Fiat remote to start the car. Usually this is done by pressing the lock button 3 or 4 times. That sequence then triggers the starter. Just remember to leave the car out of gear, if its a manual trans.

One weird wrinkle is that on some cars the keyless entry is turned off when you start the engine. So start your car and see if you can still lock and unlock the doors with the Fiat remote.

I think the only hitch would be if the keyless is turned off when the car is started you would have to unlock the door the old fashioned way.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
So I was thinking about this last night.........

I came up with this:
http://avital.com/Products/Product.aspx?path=Remote Start System&id=5008

If you have this installed with a BD-ALL, then your installer should be able to program the Fiat remote to start the car. Usually this is done by pressing the lock button 3 or 4 times. That sequence then triggers the starter. Just remember to leave the car out of gear, if its a manual trans.

One weird wrinkle is that on some cars the keyless entry is turned off when you start the engine. So start your car and see if you can still lock and unlock the doors with the Fiat remote.

I think the only hitch would be if the keyless is turned off when the car is started you would have to unlock the door the old fashioned way.

THIS is what is needed IF it indeed does work as described, I don't want extra keys or fobs so assuming this would work this is what I meant throughout this thread, thanks and hopefully someone will give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts