Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you fitted a remote car starter with a manual transmission? our winters here are insane ( -40!!) and im sick of getting into a frozen car.
Thanks!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've been interested in one as well but I haven't seen any available. My guess is because you need to have the clutch in to start any car these days and most people keep a manual car in gear when parked. You know there is going to be someone who would sue the auto starter company if their car ran into their garage.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No reputable installer will install a remote starter to a manual. Nothing like starting a car while it's in gear.

HEY MOM Look!! There's a Fiat 500 in our livingroom!!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I don't see this as such an issue, Viper makes manual tranny compatible remote start units and I am fairly certain others do as well, they have built-in features to guard against accidents or horror stories, kicker is I think they do cost a little more, might not but I think they are just a bit more costly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My manual Fiat is equipped with a Viper starter. It has quite a few (sometimes annoying) safety features to prevent you leaving it in gear.

To arm my starter, I have to put the transmission in neutral, push the brake in and pull the parking brake to full lock. Then I press a button on my remote to arm it. I then take the key out, the car stays running until I get out and lock the car with the remote.

The annoying part is that if you ever need to go into your car to get something, you need to re-arm the starter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I owned an SVT Focus that did not need the clutch depressed to start.

that being said, I know of an instance at a ford dealership (I believe in FL) where a Mustang was left in gear, started remotely, and launched into a lake.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My manual Fiat is equipped with a Viper starter. It has quite a few (sometimes annoying) safety features to prevent you leaving it in gear.

To arm my starter, I have to put the transmission in neutral, push the brake in and pull the parking brake to full lock. Then I press a button on my remote to arm it. I then take the key out, the car stays running until I get out and lock the car with the remote.

The annoying part is that if you ever need to go into your car to get something, you need to re-arm the starter.
That must be a Canadian thing.

I put the key in, turn it and go

·
Registered
71 Posts
That must be a Canadian thing.

I put the key in, turn it and go
It was 3 degrees Fahrenheit (-16c for us Canadians) this morning when I started my car. This is a warm day for an Alberta Winter. A car starter is a luxury for sure but it's a welcome one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had one in a 5sp civic. Same procedure. exit car while still running, car turnes off after door is closed. If you openit befor a remote the start system is disabled. If you leave the window down and someone moves the lever into gear it will start in gear!! Although this is unlikley it can happen.

·
Registered
211 Posts
heres a story. guy puts remote start on is manual... brings it to dealer for work to be done. as tech walks to get the car from the storage lot he hits a button on the fob to unlock doors. he actually hit the start button and car was in gear. car then drove through a fence into a large pond. car is now underwater. person tried to sue dealership. guy ended up losing....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not worth it. A stereo shop I used to work at had installed a remote start on a car, the technician started the car, it was in gear...it crushed his legs because he was standing in front of it. I've also heard of people being injured or even killed as a result of having remote start on a manual transmission vehicle. That is another reason I don't get why some folks leave their manuals in gear when parked...

·
Registered
71 Posts
It sounds to me like those horror stories all stem from improperly installed starters. With the safeties on mine, there's no way these things could happen.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the posts guys. Yeah it doesnt seem like its worth it, I was just curious to see what everyones thoughts were.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I owned an SVT Focus that did not need the clutch depressed to start.

that being said, I know of an instance at a ford dealership (I believe in FL) where a Mustang was left in gear, started remotely, and launched into a lake.
How did your SVT treat you? I have an 04 5 Door in Silver, Ive got to say I still miss that car, it was such a blast to drive and had just the right amount of power for fun city driving and handled amazingly well.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm lookIng at the same thing here. Since groupon is offering a basic single button and install for $99. Wouldnt the solution to all these problems be not to have the key and remote in the same key chain and not to give out the starter remote when you leave the car!!!! Just thinking outside the bis here..

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Let's see.

My version of remote start.

Walk out, get in car, start, get out, walk back in, and have coffee.

I don't like that you have to defeat the chip theft protection.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts