Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a second hand Fiat 500e recently, and I have some basics questions I think. What do you recommend?

Carwash or not?

Hand wash at home by myself is better?

How I can make a motor clean in this car or is not necessary?

It's true that carwash machines damage inferior parts or motor in this car?

I think that's all, from cleaning and carwash questions for Fiat 500e that I have, thank you so much for your reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Page 317 of your service manual states to wash by hand. However it also states on page 319 to avoid automatic car washes that use acidic solutions or harsh brushes that may damage vehicle. So if you have to go through an automatic car wash make sure it is touchless but to be safe I would hand wash it when you can.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
689 Posts
Hi, I bought a second hand Fiat 500e recently, and I have some basics questions I think. What do you recommend?

Carwash or not?

Hand wash at home by myself is better?

How I can make a motor clean in this car or is not necessary?

It's true that carwash machines damage inferior parts or motor in this car?

I think that's all, from cleaning and carwash questions for Fiat 500e that I have, thank you so much for your reply.
Now that I’m slightly lowered that’s a big fat no for me I tested the theory by slowly driving through one of those automated car washes racks and the battery struck the guide rails. Luckily this is the wash rack at dealer I work so there was no one behind me so I backed out.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,180 Posts
It's exactly like any other car. My friend leased a 500e for 3 years, & nearly always took it to a mechanical car wash machine.

I read that in the 500e's California "home", public car washes have to recycle their water. So if you have an EV to save the environment, that might be a better choice.

One member here said his car wash required antenna removal, which is very easy by just twisting the upper part fairly hard counter-clockwise (as viewed from above). After removal, mine still gets all my favorite local FM stations so I just left it off.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
689 Posts
It's exactly like any other car. My friend leased a 500e for 3 years, & nearly always took it to a mechanical car wash machine.

I read that in the 500e's California "home", public car washes have to recycle their water. So if you have an EV to save the environment, that might be a better choice.

One member here said his car wash required antenna removal, which is very easy by just twisting the upper part fairly hard counter-clockwise (as viewed from above). After removal, mine still gets all my favorite local FM stations so I just left it off.
Yes it’s true my dealer has a 3 huge mixed bed tanks and clarifier that filters and remove water impurities, and despite me not drying it it leaves no water spots. Water is all reclaimed throughout the floor drains. The filters do a dandy job clearing the water since there are no water spots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to all, I decided wash my car at home for now, thanks for your help
We have had two 500e Fiats in the past 6 years and routinely took them through automatic car washes as well as the do-it-yourself ones. Never had any problems whatsoever! In fact, both cars were never washed in any fashion other than going to a car wash!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I didn't realize that you do something other than an automatic car wash. Mine's been perfectly fine with it.

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 500e
7 Posts
Tire shredder is right. I wash mine weekly at the automatic car wash. No issues and keeps it looking pretty. I'd be more worried about bird poop, falling leaves and other airborne environmental contaminants ruining my paint than me local car wash. Is hand washing better? Yup! It also requires more time and effort, two things I don't have a surplus of. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think they were talking about the old car washes with the spinning brushes. Almost all the automatic drive-thru car washes have those hanging strips of material and do not scrub the paint. We have one nearby that charges $8 with all the exotic spray-on "waxes and sealants". We wash once a week and we polish and ceramic wax the car every 6-8 weeks or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just me talk in’ -but went waterless wash for 500e. No more car washes.

Check Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. It’s the standard used on aircraft. For me it’s also much more inexpensive than auto places. And so much easier too.

For the engine, heck- just a wet rag.

Garage kept always. That helps too ;) lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts

This is the car wash that I would avoid. Those plastic brushes will leave scratches and damage your paint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had 2 since 2015, the first one was black. It got washed 1-2x/month in one of the "hanging strip" car washes, looked great when they picked it up off the lease. New one is white, looks great too.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,180 Posts
On the other hand, it's SO small that you can wash it yourself with just a couple gallons, in nearly the same time it takes to drive to a car wash & back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts