Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The CEL recently came on my 500 and the gauge cluster reports "Have engine checked". I took the car to my local Orileys who has scanned my car several times before. They're not able to see any codes. Their Bosch tool reports "No codes stored" but when he goes through the code clearing procedure, the CEL goes out and doesn't come back for a couple of days.

Is there something special about the ODB data in the 500 that would keep a normal ODBII code reader from getting all the codes? The nearest dealer is an hour and a half away so I'm hoping to get some diagnostics done locally if possible.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Try another code reader. I've seen this a lot, not just on Fiat, but on all cars. I don't know why, but I tested something like 15 code readers on various cars, and there wasn't a single one that worked on all cars. Even the same brand scanners sometimes don't work on the same car. I found it to be very peculiar, but there you have it, at least try another one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting. I know from my Volvo experiences that there are definitely proprietary things going on in addition to the OBDII-spec stuff, but the basic set of OBDII functions (like pulling codes) should be universally supported. It's disappointing that the "Specification" isn't very specific. :D

So what scanner do you like for the Fiat?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I use this one for my Fiat, always in the glove box.

Somehow this one does not communicate with my old(er) Jeep Cherokee with OBDII. It does recognize the existence of OBDII on the Cherokee, but can't do anything with it. Worked fine with my friend's 2010 Ford Focus, and few other cars that I tried. There was one other car that I tried that it didn't work with, I can't remember what it was, could be Honda Element.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What mileage? Some of those lights come on at important service intervals. Is the little wrench symbol turned on? (That happens if maintenance plan is turned on.)

Did you scan while the CEL light was on?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
94,260. No wrench, just the engine-shaped light.

Yes, the CEL was on when we scanned. It said "no codes stored". We tried it in two different key positions and with a few different settings on his Bosch reader but no change. He went through the "clear codes" routine on the scanner and the light went out.

·
Registered
796 Posts
OK... sounds like the standard warning at key service intervals. i.e. Plugs are supposed to be replaced @ 30K miles on some models. Around 31 to 32K miles a message is displayed... per other posts on here. My dealer was unsure when it'll happen on my 500, because it's an '18 model. (100K spark plugs.)

That's not uncommon on many cars, but happened @ 60 to 70K on my former cars, when it was time to inspect the emissions system.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
CEL looks like this:

Engine service light is the triangle on the left:

CEL should not come on unless OBD detects discrepancies in the data from various sensors that measure the key parameters. The service interval does not trigger CEL.

Or shouldn't (par the international standard, yes, there's a such thing, for certain warning lights in a car, CEL is one of them. But it's a Fiat, so who knows what it does. The radio in my car once beeped and flashed a message "Stand By." Just once, and nobody at Fiat corporate can tell me what it was about.).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use this one for my Fiat, always in the glove box.

Somehow this one does not communicate with my old(er) Jeep Cherokee with OBDII. It does recognize the existence of OBDII on the Cherokee, but can't do anything with it. Worked fine with my friend's 2010 Ford Focus, and few other cars that I tried. There was one other car that I tried that it didn't work with, I can't remember what it was, could be Honda Element.
Typical protocol mismatch. There are more than a couple protocols, and it's not uncommon to see older/cheaper readers not be able to translate newer protocols. The more expensive readers have the ability to update firmware as more protocols are added.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CEL looks like this:
Yep, that's the one.

Engine service light is the triangle on the left:
Nope, not on.

CEL should not come on unless OBD detects discrepancies in the data from various sensors that measure the key parameters. The service interval does not trigger CEL.
Okay, that makes more sense. I just have to track down a code reader that works properly with the Fiat. I ordered a Bluetooth one off Amazon; I'll see if it works any better than that Bosch one the Oriley's guy was using.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts