Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would have thought this would trip the outlet's own GFCI breaker, but maybe it can only sense water on the input pigtail, which in this case was dry. Sorry about the bad pic but I was trying to get the outlet & the water in the frame. You CAN see the green lights on the unit if you zoom in:
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Floor

It was pouring rain on the car's socket, & I HAD to leave the cord on the ground because it was a walkway.

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 500e
41 Posts
I charge mine outside in all sorts of weather, no issues. The spot where it plugs in to 220 is covered, the rest is not and gets rain, snow and ice. My GFI breaker is on the breaker in the box, not at the outlet. On the rare occasion I've had to use my oem charger, it is all exposed to the elements. No issues thus far!

·
Registered
57 Posts
All that matters is the ends. The unit and cord it ip64 rated I believe, basically waterproof.
mine is also outside and it’s been rain or snow every day for two months, longer than I’ve had the car lol. I try to keep the port dry but I can’t really. Kinda wish the car had a little hood there to shed elements. Maybe I will make something from plastic.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually the car end doesn't matter at all. I've plugged & unplugged mine in heavy downpours on L2 AND on L1 from a STANDARD non-GFCI wall outlet.

I also knew the OEM unit was waterproof.

However my kitchen GFCI outlet breaker tripped when I spilled water on the cord of my 5A distiller. So I assumed a GFCI would trip with the 12A OEM charge cord in the rain. Maybe my 'still only tripped because the water spilled where the cord plugs into the unit, which doesn't matter for a Fiat.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the rare occasion I've had to use my oem charger, it is all exposed to the elements. No issues thus far!
Please confirm (or someone else chime in) that the OEM cord works when the input cord and the ground surface are both wet, plugged into a GFCI wall OUTLET (not just a GFCI in the breaker box).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don’t see how water can cause the ground to fault in any case. A ground fault means interruption to ground, which water shouldn’t cause in any case. Not sure why your still faulted out from water.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I googled a bit & at least one source says GFCI somehow measures outgoing current compared to return current, & if there's even a tiny difference it trips since that means the power is going somewhere it shouldn't, like through a human to ground. Maybe water can trip it due to current through the water to ground.

All I really care about is if we can do emergency charging in rain from an outlet like these:
Shoe Leg Road surface Yellow Asphalt
Gesture Grass Art Wood Trunk

I suppose I could drive up, plug in, pour a bucket of water over it & see if it still works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts