Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I go into work at 1pm many times. I would wake up at 5am-6am and plug the car in. It would be fully charged by noon. Let it sit for 15-30 mins and then take off on my 30-32 mile one way commute with AC on and arrive with 56-60% SOC.

Other times I have gotten up real early, charged till 94-96%, unplugged and then plugged back in for a couple hours around 10 am. Left the house at 100% and made it to work with 66% SOC.

Last night I decided to plug in over night at 11pm, 29% state of charge. It should have only taken around 7 hours to fully charge. When I checked on it at 9am it was at 94% and charging. I think it may have hit 100% earlier in the morning(No way it took 10hrs to get to 94% on 240 plug), then maybe load balanced and turned back on? I left around 1030 am with 100% state of charge, made a few stops along the way and still arrived with 64% SOC.

Can anyone explain what might be going on?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
I assume the charge timer is deactivated.

My 2013 has always balanced the cells every time that I leave it plugged in until it auto-stops, showing 100% on the gauge, which in your case would be around 6am.

If I leave it plugged in when full, & open/close the driver's door, the % gauge shows mid-to-high 90s & it starts charging again for a while, until once more stopping at 100%. Others on this forum report the same.

I've never seen mine re-start charging on its own, but then I've never let it sit very long plugged in & full.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume the charge timer is deactivated.

My 2013 has always balanced the cells every time that I leave it plugged in until it auto-stops, showing 100% on the gauge, which in your case would be around 6am.

If I leave it plugged in when full, & open/close the driver's door, the % gauge shows mid-to-high 90s & it starts charging again for a while, until once more stopping at 100%. Others on this forum report the same.

I've never seen mine re-start charging on its own, but then I've never let it sit very long plugged in & full.
Yes.

I may have opened the door to grab something and not noticed at first. Can't recall. I will charge overnight Sunday and see what it does.

I have seen mention, where the battery itself is never really charged to 100%, so would it really hurt to leave it sit for a few hours at 100% SOC?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Right. It only charges to 4.1v/cell, which is about 85% of its full capacity.

Also, consider that a "normal" plug-&-play 500e driver most likely starts with a full charge, drives the average sub-40-mile round-tip commute, at 6pm plugs into L2 (since the salesman said it's needed) & it's done by 8pm, sitting full for 12 hours every night, which is exactly half of it's life. Yet it's extremely rare to find any report of range loss with believable details like average speed, ambient temp, & recent SUB-zero-to-100% gauge recalibration.

I'm thinking you'd probably remember waiting 5 minutes for the % to show momentarily while charging. Otherwise you can't see the % gauge without opening the door, which re-starts charging.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Last night I decided to plug in over night at 11pm, 29% state of charge. It should have only taken around 7 hours to fully charge. When I checked on it at 9am it was at 94% and charging. I think it may have hit 100% earlier in the morning(No way it took 10hrs to get to 94% on 240 plug), then maybe load balanced and turned back on? I left around 1030 am with 100% state of charge, made a few stops along the way and still arrived with 64% SOC.

Can anyone explain what might be going on?
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex EVSE. The initial charge goes as planned where it charges continuously from wherever the start percentage is and charges to 100%. However the battery must cool or something, and hourly it appears that the car will determine if the battery can accept more charge, and charging will run for a few minutes from time to time. I have witnessed it by being outside and seeing the car begin to charge. Also the charge graph from the Chargepoint app shows it happening. Image below...

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
Maybe it’s a issue with the charger? Generally on the Fiat once it shuts off at “full charge” it doesn’t start again unless you open the drivers door or plug and unplug the J1772 handle. Maybe the plug needs cleaning and getting bad contact causing erratic continuity when it gets hot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe it’s a issue with the charger? Generally on the Fiat once it shuts off at “full charge” it doesn’t start again unless you open the drivers door or plug and unplug the J1772 handle. Maybe the plug needs cleaning and getting bad contact causing erratic continuity when it gets hot.
My previous 2016 500e did the same thing on the ChargePoint Flex Home as well this past winter in January and February. Especially when it was really cold out (<0F). Like the car was trying to heat the batteries or bring the batteries back up to full charge? Same pattern of pulses spaced exactly 1 hour apart. Almost like communications occurs hourly.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
That’s odd

·
Registered
129 Posts
We quite often might be underestimating the influence of ambient temperature (and direct sun exposure).

I live in an area where the temperature fluctuates from -30C to +40C (-22F to +104F). The charging behaviour, SOC indication behaviour and range differences seemto be quite significant (e. g. the GOM predicts a range from 200 to 90 km). So far the optimal temperature looks to be around +20C (+68F).

However, out of curiosity I've checked the ChargePoint graphs from the winter months, and couldn't find any peak pattern like this (however, during the winter I charge in the garage, with stable +2 to +5 C).

@abenusa are you charging outside or inside during the winter months?

Maybe, in this case the 12 V battery is nearing it's end and the recall related to the 12 V charging has not been done? Or, the door was being opened?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
I was wondering if when it's really cold out, the battery fully charges, stops, then cools, which lowers the voltage, at which point an hourly check by the system could restart charging to bring it up to max voltage again, which re-heats, & the cycle repeats until it's maxed out for the ambient temp.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Both the 2016 and the 2017 have all recalls/updates done. Always charging outside on driveway. The 2016 12V battery was nearing 4 years old. The 2017 12V battery is brand new. Not opening the doors. When inspecting the graphs. It is exactly at 1 hour intervals when the battery appears to top up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I wonder what this is about

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
I've had that once in a while for no apparent reason. Assuming it's not just a faulty outlet ground, rebooting the charger nearly always works. If not, cycle the key through start, run, off, until the screen is fully black (not just dark grey) & try again. If that also fails, try disconnecting the 12V negative for a minute.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've had that once in a while for no apparent reason. Assuming it's not just a faulty outlet ground, rebooting the charger nearly always works. If not, cycle the key through start, run, off, until the screen is fully black (not just dark grey) & try again. If that also fails, try disconnecting the 12V negative for a minute.
This actually happened at a EVconnect charge station outside the gym. It was charging and they before it finished that message came up and it stopped. The car drove fine and went home, everything seemed normal. The plugged in my Fiat charger and the message went away on it’s own....maybe it just didn’t like the public charger.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Ya, or the charger didn't like the car, or maybe any car for that matter. Even though charger reboot nearly always works, I've got a few stories in that vein:

Similar to you, I plugged into a convenient free "OLD" (according to a repairman I met there once) Volta Clipper Creek, which worked okay at first & then failed after a few minutes. I waited the 15 minutes it's instructions said for self auto-reboot, tried again & it failed right away so I headed to the next station. It's another free old Clipper Creek, & it too failed immediately, even after I hit its reset button. I continued home, plugged in the OEM cord & it was fine. I have since plugged into both of the above Clipper Creeks many times successfully, EXCEPT...:

At the first one above, it once failed when the adjacent unit was available, so I plugged in there. While I was on my phone a Tesla plugged in & it failed. Then a Volt failed. Then a Leaf. Finally a Bolt plugged in & it worked!

At the second one above, it once worked fine but when I unplugged & drove off it suddenly felt like ABS was activating every time the mechanical brakes came on below about 7mph. I turned the key off & on quickly but it persisted, so I turned it off until the screen went black but it still persisted so I disconnected the 12V for 30 seconds & it's been fine ever since. That's the only time I've needed to reboot in nearly 5 years. My newer DVR needs reboot more than than, & my brand new Keurig needs it even more!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This actually happened at a EVconnect charge station outside the gym. It was charging and they before it finished that message came up and it stopped. The car drove fine and went home, everything seemed normal. The plugged in my Fiat charger and the message went away on it’s own....maybe it just didn’t like the public charger.
Your car got an STD from the public charger. :p

Working morning shift now, so I haven't had the chance to test if mine is kicking the charger back on by itself.

Looking at the graph above, it seems it is possible for it to kick back on when sitting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can confirm, the charger does kick back on.

Plugged in at 9pm with 30% SOC. Woke up at 6am, well after charging should have been complete, and it was charging. Checked again at 6:30am and it was off.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
I plugged into a public L2 yesterday for a full charge, & to save time instead of waiting to balance the cells*, I planned to unplug as soon as the voltage stopped increasing on AlfaOBD. I started checking at 99%. It kept going up until the highest I saw was a rather high 4.138V/cell. Then it started DROPPING! I checked several times to be sure, & when it hit 4.121 I unplugged.

So it seems like for absolute maximum range you'd want to unplug it right when it starts to balance the cells, but you'd want to be driving right away, to avoid leaving it at over 4.1V/cell.

*I had balanced them on L1 the night before.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My car gets charged twice a day from 57% to 100% both from home and work. Lately traffic is just jamming high speeds to my mile a kw is horrible 3.8 but I do get to cruise 80mph to work each way and left with 54-57% driving fast. With charging on both ends it’s easy as pie.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts