Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 500e and made the mistake of trying to charge using a regular 120v outlet at a friend's house. Since then, the car will only take a 120v charge even though I am back to using my 240v outlet. Any recommendations? I have an appointment with the dealer but was wondering if it's a quick fix that I can do myself. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
1st thing to always try (after turning it off until the screen goes fully black, not just dark grey) is 30-second 12V disconnect. It's a good idea to carry an appropriate wrench in the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does a 30 second 12V disconnect mean? And, a wrench for what? I’m a total newbie at this!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Use a wrench (crescent, or even pliers, but ideally a 10mm box-end) to disconnect the 12V negative for 30 seconds.

This will do a full "cold reboot" which often fixes software glitches, just like taking the battery out of your laptop or phone*, or unplugging your DVR*, cable-box, surround system*, or WiFi.

*My Fiat is older, but has less frequent need of reboot than these 3 other electronics of mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thank you that's helpful. I'll have the dealer show me how when I get there tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just like jump-starting, pop the hood, yank off the motor cover (I leave mine in the garage!) straight up with about the force of lifting a full laundry basket, & the 12V battery is near the middle, with the negative terminal closest to you. Just loosen the nut enough to twist the terminal off for 30 seconds, & when you put it back on, just tighten it until you can't twist it off by hand.

On my 2013 it zeroes out my clock & trip gauges, but keeps all my other settings, including audio, & radio stations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts