Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Thanks for the eGolf link. My take-away: The fact that there's only ONE guy reporting documented degradation* seems indicative of generally good real-world longevity for everyone else.

* Only ONE dealer-tested car, & one user saying he used "a calculation on another thread". ALL the other reports are based on readings which we now know on OUR Bosch cars is inaccurate:
  • GOM
  • Car's % gauge
  • OBD SOH data.
There's also no mention of ambient temperature when testing, which has a big effect on battery capacity.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Tha tthread's 1st page does have a link to another eGolf degradation thread, so I'll be checking it for believability later: https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=877&hilit=battery+degradation

I read Kiesling's link thread from start to end. It doesn't get good until the 4th-last post on page 2, with that Scottsdale user's dealer saying his eGolf had 67% capacity after 65k miles. Seems like they may have used the EPA procedure. I wonder if they knew what temperature to do it at, & whether to to use L1 or L2 (more efficient so less power used, making capacity look lower).

·
Registered
50 Posts
2014-2015 Leafs that were sold here in Western Canada have stood up very well with most still having a full 12 bars health left. When the ambient temperatures are moderate, the aircooled packs stand up well.
Just last week I inquired about a 2014 BMW i3 for my wife. I had the sales man look into the battery health through the secret menu and he was proud to say it had 77% SOH at 45k miles. I was disappointed with this. It was a pure battery version not the range extender version. He claimed it was better than his wife's i3.
Seems liquid cooling only helps to extend battery life in climates with temperature extremes.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
A few early i3 drivers I've met at public chargers have complained about range loss, but that was before I knew to ask if it was the PHEV in which users are prone to run the battery dead & leave it dead while they burn gas for a while until they get around to plugging in again.

With only 81 miles range, my small battery theory from above applies somewhat here too.

I'm not sure if the i3 is really liquid cooled, since the specs I've found don't actually say that, but rather "advanced active thermal management system", which could just be a fan blowing A/C into the battery pack.

I'm also not sure how high older i3s charge. That could be a big factor if it's 96 or 97% to try to maximize range from the battery that was small due to being so much more expensive back then.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I try to keep it between 20% and 80%. Never dwell at either end of the range for more than a few days. I'm still able to get 80 miles +/- on a charge unless its really hot, really cold, or you have big elevation changes. Only 20k miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's a 2011 Leaf, sold for $3800, At full charge the Guess o meter says only 41 miles. This guy buys it after a test drive to see if he could get 41 miles. Isn't still under warranty? "warranted against capacity loss below nine (9) bars (or approximately below 70 percent) as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first." Five Years?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fiat offers 8 years warranty to the 2021 model, it will be replaced if it drops below 70% capacity in that time. It's in the warranty manual stated
Also they offer 2+3 years extended on the car itself. The 3 year extension was 300euro, well worth it imho.

Has anyone managed to get data on the 2021 model ? I would really like to know how much is the battery charged when showing 100% on dashboard. I'm hoping it's around 90% of the actual capacity. I emailed Fiat several times asking about this but they didn't answer.

The infotainment is quite nice, good graphics and responsive but the software/app comdo lack a few things.
You can't set temperature remotely, only start the climate from app
No option to charge the car to a certain percentage
The charge status update may take 1hour plus to refresh when the car is charging and it's not a signal problem from the car as i can control other functions like turning on headlights or opening the car from the app.

Or i can try and find out on my car but you guys need to help me out with what OBD/App i need to do that, perhaps i have a friend who has one of those things.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts