Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

About to take over a Fiat 500C 1.2 Lounge (69bhp) 100.000km

What is the cheapest performance upgrade for the Fiat 1.2 Lounge?

And, I am new to the Fiat 500 scene. What guides and manuals/videos/forums can I watch to gain some information about upgrading this car?

And is it worth it to upgrade this car? And what about upgrading it into an Abarth? Probably not cost efficient?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Most of the folks here have US cars.

For the non-turbo Fiats, there isn't a lot to be done for performance. The US models can have a Go Pedal installed and an aftermarket air intake. The Go Pedal is said to give quicker throttle response, and the intake should add a couple HP (but makes more noise so it sounds more aggressive). Guys will replace the factory exhaust for a louder exhaust. A couple have removed the catalytic converter (replaced the down pipe). It's not legal, but many states don't do inspections.

You can search the posts here for recommendations. Another owner asked the same question a few days ago. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I will look for the post. Is the Go Pedal spefically only for the US models or also for EU models?

I saw this guy, he tuned his fiat 500, and its now similar tuned to an Abarth or even fater.

But I want to find more about him and his build. If someone recognize this guy and his build?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Down in the vendor's section, you can find a link to 500 Madness. They know as much about their products as anyone and are really helpful.

I've seen builds like this and it's a LOT faster than the stock Abarth. You can check Tork Motorsports to see the mods he probably added, once he had the engine rebuilt. It's the same steps used to build an Abarth to similar power.
Select a Product | DamnFastDD.com

I think you'll find this car is Eddie Clark's.
Eddie Clark's Garage on Wheelwell

As you can see, he started with the Sport 500T, 1.4L turbo engine. That's basically the engine in the 2018 & 19 US models, a "baby Abarth" engine. (IIRC, it's tuning and a smaller turbo that separates the engine from the Abarth.) Started with 135 HP, about 100-110 WHP. As I understand his build: He tore the engine out (did major upgrades inside) for a stronger engine and porting made it breathe better. That base engine is now a step up in strength over the US Abarth (595 in EU). The larger Turbo and a tune, combined with eliminating the Cat-Conv and a few other changes, develops serious power. Suspension mods made it handle like a modified Abarth (maybe not quite as well, unless he put the Abarth brakes and torsion bars on it).

As you look around, you'll find similar EU builds, some reaching 300 WHP. IMO, EU has an advantage on US cars, using the T-Jet valve train instead of the Multi-Air. At a guess, you might purchase a 3 year old 595 for what his build cost. Again guessing, but I figure it'd cost me $10K to build my '18 to that spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question thought. Do you think the 500 madness upgrades work for a fiat 500 1.2 Lounge EU version?

Because it looks like it's only suitable for the Abarth version, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't laugh. You want to know the 'cheapest' performance upgrade. Remove the rear seat. It weighs a tad over 50 lbs. and is very easy to take out with a socket wrench.

Don't know if you can still buy the 3rd party rear seat delete kit. If you can it finishes off the removal nicely. (Or you can make your own.)

I bought the kit over 6 years ago. Its been great.

If I push the pass seat all the way forward I can easily carry my bicycle in back (remove front wheel then put rear wheel in first). No need for a hitch or a cable locks.

Bike riders that put their bikes in the back of their giant pickup trucks are amazed when I pull mine out of the Abarth, ha!!! 😄

1 - 7 of 7 Posts