Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. Once again... Me.. With another **** up.

So.. I was driving my car today.. All normal, and nothing special.. But noticed that my check engine started to flash in accessories mode.. But didn't turn on after.

Now.. I must let you all know that I fixed my incorrect install of my Sila RAM intake.. But this is only day one of it being temporarily fixed.. So I went to autozone and got the ECU to not show check engine to know if I installed it correctly.

But I noticed this when I parked my car today.. And wanted to ask.. What is this?

Anyone else has had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
The "in accessories mode" throws me off as normally when the CEL is flashing that means serious problem, do not drive and have car checked as opposed to CEL on and not flashing which is obviously not good but also not as bad. But this is not usually in the mode as you've described, it would be while the car is in started/operational mode.

Do you have the code or any stored code by chance to help narrow down the exact problem? I'd imagine at this point with the prior issue there would be some relation, weren't you experiencing a vacuum leak because of this break?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The "in accessories mode" throws me off as normally when the CEL is flashing that means serious problem, do not drive and have car checked as opposed to CEL on and not flashing which is obviously not good but also not as bad. But this is not usually in the mode as you've described, it would be while the car is in started/operational mode.

Do you have the code or any stored code by chance to help narrow down the exact problem? I'd imagine at this point with the prior issue there would be some relation, weren't you experiencing a vacuum leak because of this break?
Started off at one.. Then there was two.. A misfire and then the P1CEA. The misfire code I haven't checked for.. and will as soon as monday morning.
On the other hand.. I was experiencing a vacuum leak. I'm guessing it might be the misfire.. But I'm terrified that the vacuum leak is what caused the misfire.. Therefore the dealer won't cover it.

But.. The car isn't acting funny in any way. I know when I set it to cruise going 75 on the freeway it acted as if it was working harder than normal.. But I haven't made that trip since that Thursday. Other than that one isolated incident.. I wouldn't know. Car isn't doing anything out of the normal besides acting like it should.. And I took a similar drive and it didn't even do the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Started off at one.. Then there was two.. A misfire and then the P1CEA. The misfire code I haven't checked for.. and will as soon as monday morning.
On the other hand.. I was experiencing a vacuum leak. I'm guessing it might be the misfire.. But I'm terrified that the vacuum leak is what caused the misfire.. Therefore the dealer won't cover it.

But.. The car isn't acting funny in any way. I know when I set it to cruise going 75 on the freeway it acted as if it was working harder than normal.. But I haven't made that trip since that Thursday. Other than that one isolated incident.. I wouldn't know. Car isn't doing anything out of the normal besides acting like it should.. And I took a similar drive and it didn't even do the same thing.

You didn't do the "free horsepower" mod with the check valve added by chance did you?

Quick Google search shows

p1cea-boost side evap purge system performance

P1CEA-BOOST SIDE EVAP PURGE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

The Evaporative Purge Monitor tests the integrity of the hoses/tube between the throttle body/intake and the fuel tank. At key off, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Switch. As the fuel and air in the Fuel Tank cools, a vacuum will occur naturally inside the tank. One inch of vacuum will cause the switch to close. If the PCM sees the switch close before the counter reaches a calibrated amount, the monitor passes.

The monitor is a two stage test and runs only after the Evaporative system passes the small leak test. Stage one is non-intrusive. With the engine running, the monitor will first evaluate the delta pressure change of the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor while normal purge control is active. If the monitor does not pass within a calibrated amount of time, then an intrusive monitor will be enabled. The intrusive test runs only if stage one does not pass. This intrusive monitor will ramp in the purge flow to a target amount while evaluating the delta pressure in the entire system. If the delta pressure between purge off and purge on exceeds a calibrated amount, then the monitor will ramp out the purge flow and evaluate the delta pressure between the high flow and the new low flow target. If the delta pressure is less than a calibrated threshold then the monitor will pass.

When Monitored:
With the ignition engine running, fule level above 12 percent, ambient temperature between 4.0°C and 35°C (39.2°F and 95°F), vehicle speed between 8 kph and 128.7 kph (5 mph and 80 mph), during a boost condition.

Set Condition:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects insufficient vapor flow detected via the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor during evaporative system operation during boost condition.

Possible Causes
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR 5–VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR RETURN CIRCUIT
FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR
PURGE SOLENOID VACUUM SUPPLY
EVAPORATIVE PURGE HOSE/TUBE AND FRESH AIR FILTER OBSTRUCTION <<< most likely caused by free mod
PURGE SOLENOID
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't do the "free horsepower" mod with the check valve added by chance did you?

Quick Google search shows

p1cea-boost side evap purge system performance

P1CEA-BOOST SIDE EVAP PURGE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

The Evaporative Purge Monitor tests the integrity of the hoses/tube between the throttle body/intake and the fuel tank. At key off, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Switch. As the fuel and air in the Fuel Tank cools, a vacuum will occur naturally inside the tank. One inch of vacuum will cause the switch to close. If the PCM sees the switch close before the counter reaches a calibrated amount, the monitor passes.

The monitor is a two stage test and runs only after the Evaporative system passes the small leak test. Stage one is non-intrusive. With the engine running, the monitor will first evaluate the delta pressure change of the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor while normal purge control is active. If the monitor does not pass within a calibrated amount of time, then an intrusive monitor will be enabled. The intrusive test runs only if stage one does not pass. This intrusive monitor will ramp in the purge flow to a target amount while evaluating the delta pressure in the entire system. If the delta pressure between purge off and purge on exceeds a calibrated amount, then the monitor will ramp out the purge flow and evaluate the delta pressure between the high flow and the new low flow target. If the delta pressure is less than a calibrated threshold then the monitor will pass.

When Monitored:
With the ignition engine running, fule level above 12 percent, ambient temperature between 4.0°C and 35°C (39.2°F and 95°F), vehicle speed between 8 kph and 128.7 kph (5 mph and 80 mph), during a boost condition.

Set Condition:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects insufficient vapor flow detected via the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor during evaporative system operation during boost condition.

Possible Causes
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR 5–VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR RETURN CIRCUIT
FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR
PURGE SOLENOID VACUUM SUPPLY
EVAPORATIVE PURGE HOSE/TUBE AND FRESH AIR FILTER OBSTRUCTION <<< most likely caused by free mod
PURGE SOLENOID
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Actually.. No.
I've looked it up too and my friend and I were the ones that addressed that issue.. That and a dealer rep that I spoke too. As I found out... My deal WOULD HAVE installed my intake at the cost of 90 bucks.. but it's too late for that one now.
The only thing I did was install that intake. Nothing more.. nothing less.

I googled it once more and found out that the OBD II system was down and I have to take it in... I'm hoping that the misfire was just a misread.. Since it was only a day interval when it was checked.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Actually.. No.
I've looked it up too and my friend and I were the ones that addressed that issue.. That and a dealer rep that I spoke too. As I found out... My deal WOULD HAVE installed my intake at the cost of 90 bucks.. but it's too late for that one now.
The only thing I did was install that intake. Nothing more.. nothing less.

I googled it once more and found out that the OBD II system was down and I have to take it in... I'm hoping that the misfire was just a misread.. Since it was only a day interval when it was checked.
I didn't think you'd done more but I recalled for those that did this code came about. Hopefully it won't be a major issue, doesn't seem to be a big problem as you stated all is working fine. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think you'd done more but I recalled for those that did this code came about. Hopefully it won't be a major issue, doesn't seem to be a big problem as you stated all is working fine. :)
so far so good actually!! I'm happy to report that my instantly cheap DYI repair will hold out until I can actually repair the T. I found out there's a speed shop here in my city, so I'm going to take it to them and ask them to build a actual T for that entire part.. And see if they can make the part that I broke of compatable with it.. Or make one. Either or.. Seems like all my issues have been resolved! Found out the misfiring was from the vacuum leak.. Therefore it should be fine. Drove the car for a little and it seems alright. Running about the same just with more kick under the hood!

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
so far so good actually!! I'm happy to report that my instantly cheap DYI repair will hold out until I can actually repair the T. I found out there's a speed shop here in my city, so I'm going to take it to them and ask them to build a actual T for that entire part.. And see if they can make the part that I broke of compatable with it.. Or make one. Either or.. Seems like all my issues have been resolved! Found out the misfiring was from the vacuum leak.. Therefore it should be fine. Drove the car for a little and it seems alright. Running about the same just with more kick under the hood!
Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Fiat says if check engine light is on and flashing stop car get towed or slow down and see if flashing stops, do not drive car with CEL flashing.
This is when the key is turned to the "ON" position; the engine is not on. The CEL turns on, then flashes, then stays on. Once the car is started it turns off.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, and every once in a while the CEL turns on and stays on until I start the car 5+ more times and drive it for a bit then it goes away. My car runs fine. I have an R3T V2 intake, UniChip stage 1, and an MPX exhaust.

Now my problem is the odometer is flashing. Anyone know anything about that?

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, and every once in a while the CEL turns on and stays on until I start the car 5+ more times and drive it for a bit then it goes away. My car runs fine. I have an R3T V2 intake, UniChip stage 1, and an MPX exhaust.

Now my problem is the odometer is flashing. Anyone know anything about that?
A bluetooth unit ($12-$15 bucks) and Torque (Android-$5 bucks) helps a LOT! Usually a few cycles (on and off) of the engine will clear codes from mods such as you have as you've discovered.

On the odometer flashing...LOTS of people know about that sadly... http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/gtsearch.php?q=flashing+odometer&siteurl=www.fiat500owners.com/forum/&ref=www.fiat500owners.com/forum/55-fiat-500-safety-issues/9072-check-engine-flashing-but-isnt.html&ss=3927j1049189j17

1 - 12 of 12 Posts