Fiat 500 Forum banner

Check Engine Light

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Fergie 
#1 ·
Yesterday my battery had died so I went and bought a new one and replaced it. When I went to turn my vehicle on, the check engine light came on. I tried blanking it out by turning the engine off, turning it to just the power on, and then pushing the gas pedal three times quickly, but it did not blank out the light. I am just wondering if anybody might have an idea of why this has happened, or if it is completely unrelated and just a pure coincidence that happened at the same time? If anyone can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. TIA

#3 ·
You can buy the cheapest scanner at oreillys or get one on amazon. As long as it is obd2 it is universal. Mine cost $40 and it works great. A dead battery can trigger all kinds of warning lights on a 500. And they dont always go away untill as thunderbolt said, you clear them with the scan tool.

#6 ·
Thank you very much the check engine light actually went out on its own after a couple of driving cycles! I was so very excited that it went out, as I wasn't looking forward to having to take it to the dealership or my buddy's garage who does a lot of the work for me. Either way it's spelled a lot of money out of my pockets

#5 ·
Hi JB, I know the cycle I did was for an oil change, but I was also told that it will clear any service lights. And I had another light on that was showing the same issues in the same spots which was the battery. So I cleared that out and the light went away. And it never came back. The check engine light, Ugh, it stayed on. I read up on it, and it did say that sometimes the light would go out after a couple of driving cycles, and it did!!!. I am so very happy that it did! I will obviously be keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't come back on and if it does then I will definitely get in touch with the garage.
F
I thank you tho,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.