Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently bought a Fiat 500 and one of the problems I was experiencing was the yellow warning triangle on the dash with a "Check Running Light" error message.

I checked the DRL bulbs and both of which were blown, so I replaced them, they illuminated and the error message and warning triangle disappeared so I assumed all was well, but as soon as I turn on the headlights the yellow warning triangle on the dash with a "Check Running Light" error message returns and remains on until I turn the ignition off and back on again.

In summary, as long as headlights are off, the DRL's illuminate as expected and theres no error message. As soon as I turn the headlights on, the error message and warning light reappear.

I tried turning the DRL's off in the menu, and they stay off as expected, but again as soon as I turn the headlights on the error message and warning light reappear.

Does anyone have any experience of this strange issue or any guidance for me before I book the car in with an auto electrician.

Thanks in advance

Otis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello All,

I recently bought a Fiat 500 and one of the problems I was experiencing was the yellow warning triangle on the dash with a "Check Running Light" error message.

I checked the DRL bulbs and both of which were blown, so I replaced them, they illuminated and the error message and warning triangle disappeared so I assumed all was well, but as soon as I turn on the headlights the yellow warning triangle on the dash with a "Check Running Light" error message returns and remains on until I turn the ignition off and back on again.

In summary, as long as headlights are off, the DRL's illuminate as expected and theres no error message. As soon as I turn the headlights on, the error message and warning light reappear.

I tried turning the DRL's off in the menu, and they stay off as expected, but again as soon as I turn the headlights on the error message and warning light reappear.

Does anyone have any experience of this strange issue or any guidance for me before I book the car in with an auto electrician.

Thanks in advance

Otis
I have the same problem.

Have you sorted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I never managed to get to the bottom of this problem, the DRL's were working correctly, so just learned to live with yellow warning triangle.

I changed the bulbs like for like with the ones that had blown, it may be worth making sure the exact same wattage and type from the owners manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately I never managed to get to the bottom of this problem, the DRL's were working correctly, so just learned to live with yellow warning triangle.

I changed the bulbs like for like with the ones that had blown, it may be worth making sure the exact same wattage and type from the owners manual.
what about MOT, are ok to go through ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah lights working externally but triangle is on dashboard still on ? are they not looking in dashboard messages ?
I think it must be at the discretion of the MOT tester. Mine never had an issue because the error light related to daytime running lights which were working. Not sure DRL's are part of an MOT test anyway as not all cars have them.

I just googled it and found this "The UK MOT test now includes a 'Malfunction Indicator Lamp' check. The examiner is now required to visually check that warning lights for safety restraint systems, electronic stability control, tyre pressure monitoring systems and anti-lock braking systems are not permanently illuminated"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem MOT is today. Mine is intermittent but as said above " The examiner is now required to visually check that warning lights for safety restraint systems " are DRL classed as safety restraint systems?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't class them as safety or restraint system, but I'm not an MOT tester.

Mine didn't have any issues at MOT time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solved maybe lol
I had the same issue when i changed one of the Daylight Running Lights in the front and one of my rear brake lamps.
I ended up changed both brake lamps since its a two pack, the front lights all looked well.
The rear, one was off even if i changed both.
I was puzzled but then tried to turn off my DRL from the menu section on the front panel which didnt work.
Opened the brake lamps and checked them again and they all worked.
I reset my error codes (check your manufacturer book) mine was 5 pumps with engine off then key out and then engine on.
The "check running lights" code disappeared as well. Make sure to check all your lights are on(front back.
Hope that works for one of you at least!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts